***FINAL: AU 21 UW 16 — Postgame Thread***

RunInRed

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

It wasn't the fumble...but a funky call....just noting that every coach makes questionable play calls that don't work....and Udub had their share.  And just noting that I did not see anything from CP that seemed unusually creative....or that he had managed to coach his team to play beyond their level of talent. After all, he had the benefit of a 4 year QB and very experienced RB and was ranked #6 nationally.....and his team lost.  :dunno:

I just asked the question on how a person would watch that game and say one coach outdid the other.....but I see what you did there. After watching the game what position groups would you say of theirs had more talent than ours?

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I just asked the question on how a person would watch that game and say one coach outdid the other.....but I see what you did there. After watching the game what position groups would you say of theirs had more talent than ours?

We are more talented at every position group than UW is. And they are overrated too. No way they the #6 team. Classic preseason poll irrelevance imo. 

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I would say their secondary is better than ours, or at least they know how to play the ball better in the air than us. Based just on tonight, I would also have to say their RBs are better. 

Look all you armchair QBs, ? jk . In reality this was a first game of the year if y’all will gladly review the last three years starts I think you can find some happiness in this game. Sure a lot of mistakes all to be expected early in the season. I don’t  know the exact count but I saw a lot of freshmen and RF playing today. I saw a pretty good effort from JD playing with one hand. Saw a lot of effort and success from Noah playing his first game on Defense. Bobbie started out slow but got better as it went. Kmart Did fairly well also. I think our OL will get better with experience playing together. I told you that I expected JS to do more design runs and he did. Carlson Jr missed a couple of FGs but again that should be expected, Daniel wasn’t perfect either. Peterson went for broke against us and changed it up as he went. All in all a good win. Winning against a good team like Washington will give this team great confidence in the future. Auburn crowd looked and sounded great. I’m believing this team has the makings of champions. War Eagle.

ps I decided not to post much during the games this year, to much crow to eat last year.

1 hour ago, boisnumber1 said:

I would say it was more the typical Malzahn bashing by whiny fans.

right you are whiny is as whiny does!

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

I would say their secondary is better than ours, or at least they know how to play the ball better in the air than us. Based just on tonight, I would also have to say their RBs are better. 

Their secondary may be better but I was referring to more talented as Cole had asked. We blow them out in the talent dept. Peterson in no way has the Jimmys and Joes like we do. 

The Doc's stomach did a few turns, but the men came through in a big way and deserve all of the accolades we can bestow on them!

WDE! 

I think we played one of the top 3 teams on our schedule today and it felt absolutely good to get the win.

One last thing, the announcers were so husky biased that it got to the point to where I just turned off the volume and watched the game in peace.

35 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Gusty call on 4th down by Steele man all out blitz

Yep.  I think he realized the only way we stop them is to get to him first. 

2 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Their secondary may be better but I was referring to more talented as Cole had asked. We blow them out in the talent dept. Peterson in no way has the Jimmys and Joes like we do. 

Two of their defensive backs are preseason all Americans, as is gaskins. They returned 17 starters. My understanding is that it is more their experience than having higher rated players. 

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

Lol 3rd and Goal from the 7 .  What would you call?  I bet not a power up the middle.  

The defensive line is part of Malzahn’s weapons.  Give it a break with the Gus bashing.  

Sayjng that Gus did not “outcoach” one of the best football minds in college football is not bashing

30 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

I felt there were 2 poor coaching decisions, going for 2 after the first touchdown and the play call for the second 1.  

Washington WR's made some amazing receptions on very good coverage

Thought Kmart looked indecisive running the ball, but that the defense was probably the reason.

We beat a very good Washington team.  This was the best that we looked to start a season with Gus.

This x 1000.

The receivers made insane catches.  Our coverage, although many will disagree, was very tight.  J.Davis' DPI was really the only missed coverage. Even then he was able to recover and somewhat get in position. He made the right play trying for the Flag.

8 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Just saying for the record their running game averaged 3.3 ypg and AU was 3.6 ypg. Actual passing yards were pretty even . FWIW

So on another subject.....what is the assessment of our Special Teams ?   One game is a small sample....but will the new kick-off rules help or hurt us?   

JMO but I thought for a freshman, Carlson II looked pretty good. not even a thought of a return by Udub. 

My biggest problem was the penalties. We looked totally undisciplined. 

Offensive line needs some time to gel(again). The Boobie/Martin battle might be fun to watch. 

As usual, the future is bright and it’ll be fun to watch this team develop and all those other platitudes. 

Proud of the win. Proud for the players. Still feel like we underachieve with the talent we have. Especially for $7 million/year. Expecting another roller coaster ride this year 

Very ugly but here’s the optimist in me: we beat a top 5 team playing sloppy and below our ability level and giving up 100+ penalties. Our best seasons have come when we learn early how to win ugly.

positives:

1. Our d-line is monstrous

2. No injuries that I noticed. At least not any that should carry over.

3. Stidham is damn accurate and he actually saved a lot of plays with his feet.

4. Pass protection actually looked solid.

5. We got almost all of the receivers involved. Sal getting that T.D. catch was astounding.

6. Lil Carlson is a freshmen but he can kick!

7. Siposs flipped the field twice!

8. Iggy is going to be special.

9. Ryan Davis needs more targets and his punt returns were excellent. He was playing his heart out.

10. Against a strong front 7 and with predictable run plays KMart still got 80 yards. Him and Boobee are essentially freshmen when it comes to playing experience. They’ll develop into studs.

So glad Auburn pulled out the win and good to see Gus earning his $7million a year to begin the season.

2 minutes ago, AUJedi said:

Proud of the win. Proud for the players. Still feel like we underachieve with the talent we have. Especially for $7 million/year. Expecting another roller coaster ride this year 

Underachieved ? We just beat the # 6 team on a neutral field and we underachieved . That is really hard to believe.

1 minute ago, au302 said:

Does anyone have an assessment of how Kaleb Kim played? Didn’t really pay attention to him specifically 

Almost all shotgun and no arrant snaps. I don’t recall any pressure from the A gaps. So at least decent lol

Archived