2020 Recruiting Thread (OP Update 1/30/19)

ellitor

3 minutes ago, rophle said:

I do think Gus would recruit just as good or better than Cristobal, he goes head to head with some great recruiters in this area and wins plenty of them. But, it’s a hypothetical that we’ll never know the answer to, just like we’ll never know how good Mario could do at Auburn.

One of the two has been national recruiter of the year as well as runner up national recruiter of the year. It wasn't Gus

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, bigbird said:

One of the two has been national recruiter of the year as well as runner up national recruiter of the year. It wasn't Gus

#16 ranked class won’t get him that trophy this year. 

Glad Gus and staff did very well this year. Damn shame Cristobal turned into a crappy recruiter when he ended up at a place that’s geographically disadvantaged with little historical football success. Just like Saban magically improved when he went from MSU to LSU then Bammer. Better luck next time Mario, lol

Keith finally confirmed AU has up to 2 extra spots AU can use to add players so that indeed puts the number up to 27.

• ellitor changed the title to 2020 Recruiting Thread (OP Update 12/20/19)
46 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Keith finally confirmed AU has up to 2 extra spots AU can use to add players so that indeed puts the number up to 27.

He should have saved himself some time and just took our word for it. :)

11 hours ago, rophle said:

#16 ranked class won’t get him that trophy this year. 

You don't seem to have a very good understanding of how college football recruiting works at all.

12 hours ago, AU64 said:

Yes...

You think anyone except for Grimes and maybe Kodi will follow him up there? TWill, Porter, McGriff, Garner... the guys who have been doing the heavy lifting down here... you think they're going to move their families to Eugene and start snatching up all the Cali and Samoan 5*s? 

20 minutes ago, Mikey said:

He should have saved himself some time and just took our word for it. :)

Honestly I think he was told by AU sources not to give out a different number than 25 til after ESD. Given no team likes that info being in the public it's understanable.

Doesn't look like he signed anywhere. With the numbers so tight nowadays I imagine most kickers around the country are asked to wait til February. He seemed happy to be accepted to AU on Twitter, but I just don't know if we'll have a scholly for him this cycle. No idea what his family's financial sitch is either. 

On 12/19/2019 at 10:35 PM, fredst said:

Glad Gus and staff did very well this year. Damn shame Cristobal turned into a crappy recruiter when he ended up at a place that’s geographically disadvantaged with little historical football success. Just like Saban magically improved when he went from MSU to LSU then Bammer. Better luck next time Mario, lol

Do you honestly think Mario turned into a crappy recruiter? I think that is crazy statement. He pulled in some legit talent. He is building something at Oregon that they haven't had in a long time....possibly ever....a DEFENSE. The offensive guys will always go to Oregon.

He brought in:

1:Justin Flow #1 ILB #4 Overall

2: Noah Sewell #2 OLB and #23 Overall

Plus he signed a couple potential stud QBs in Butterfielf and Ashford. I really like the Butterfield kid. 

I think he signed a good class based on needs. 

8 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Do you honestly think Mario turned into a crappy recruiter? I think that is crazy statement. He pulled in some legit talent. He is building something at Oregon that they haven't had in a long time....possibly ever....a DEFENSE. The offensive guys will always go to Oregon.

He brought in:

Plus he signed a couple potential stud QBs in Butterfielf and Ashford. I really like the Butterfield kid. 

Some people are downplaying his recruiting ability because his class is ranked merely in the mid teens. They are being intentionally ignorant about Oregon's recruiting ceiling and the fact that the dude straight kicked ass just last season. These same people would be making all kinds of excuses if it were Gus. SOS

Anyway, fredst is having a bit of fun with them.

On 12/19/2019 at 10:38 PM, bigbird said:

Hate on Gus all you want but recruiting has never been better than it is now. The players absolutely love him, you can tell by the way they play for him. To be perfectly honest I don't think we get to this level with the Oregon coach. Oline excluded there is very little you can criticize CGM on recruiting 

10 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

He brought in:

As stated by @ellitor and @McLoofus, my post was sarcastic without the font. No, I think Cristobal is a great recruiter and will prove to be a very good head coach at Oregon for those that have their doubts. Put him in a talent rich area with tradition in addition to the resources that he has available right now.....look out. He would be a force at an upper echelon SEC school, IMO.

On another note: did @ellitor detect sarcasm that was missed by someone else?

44DF2068-181E-4095-A589-238C77BABF01.gif

28 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

Hate on Gus all you want but recruiting has never been better than it is now. The players absolutely love him, you can tell by the way they play for him. To be perfectly honest I don't think we get to this level with the Oregon coach. Oline excluded there is very little you can criticize CGM on recruiting 

It wasn't hate on Gus. It wasn't even criticism. It was a response to what seemed like an uninformed comparison.

17 hours ago, ValleyTiger said:

Doesn't look like he signed anywhere. With the numbers so tight nowadays I imagine most kickers around the country are asked to wait til February. He seemed happy to be accepted to AU on Twitter, but I just don't know if we'll have a scholly for him this cycle. No idea what his family's financial sitch is either. 

What is it with Auburn and all these tall kickers we get or offer? This guy is 6'4" and I an sure both the Carlson brothers are 6'3" and over.

He has a strong leg already, and with a year with the strength coach he should get even stronger if he comes to Auburn.

Is his family an Auburn family? It's hard to tell on his twitter..when all these guys are decked in Auburn gear on their visits.

Just now, tbone4jc said:

You think that's hating on Gus?

To think Cristobal wouldn't be able to replicate or exceed our current recruit is just plain wrong.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

It wasn't hate on Gus. It wasn't even criticism. It was a factual response to what seemed like an uninformed comparison.

FIFY

Archived