Fire Gus (merged threads)

AuburnTiger4Life

7 hours ago, tacosman said:

theoretically yes....but everything is also subject to the same risk-reward question as well.  If gus knows they want to fire him and he knows he is clean on the 'for cause' aspects of the contract, the university has little leverage.  

They can make his coaching life miserable.  There might be some guys who will just take a paycheck and have everything dictated to them, but not many.  Especially if they feel it will tank their career.  Better to leave and quietly blame the administration and meddling boosters for undermining you than to fail spectacularly and never scratch a HC job again.

7 hours ago, tacosman said:

I just dont know why everyone is writing off these games other than bama. Some people are even saying olemiss is a very likely loss.  Huh?  this is the same olemiss team who was losing to arky last I checked?  An Arky team we routed....

7-5 is still the most likely record imo 

Because they're all in serious doubt.  Any offense with a pulse is liable to outscore us.  If you were a betting man, you'd have to favor A&M, UGA and Bama over us easily.  That's already 6-6.  But if you think a road game at Ole Miss is in the bag, you've lost your damn mind.

That or you're what many suspect - a troll.

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, kwagoner said:

Nothing. Folks have their mind made up. Everything negative has been, is, and will be his fault. If they offense were to start putting up 750 yards and 60 points per game, it would be only because of Chip - yet struggles are all him.

A calm voice of reason!!!!! Thanks @aujeff11

Fisher saw the writing on the wall and FSU and scurried off like the trashy possum he is. 

If 8-4 is a down year, I’m ok with that. All the folks that want “10 wins” ask you closest UGA buddy about Mark Richt. 9 of 15 years had over 10 wins and only once less than 8. They hated him and wanted him gone every year. Before crowning Smart the Savior Dawg, mind you where gus was his first year.... Smart will have a learning curve too, and there will be a series of issues to come. He’s had a little better prep too (with whom he’s worked under.)

The problem is, it's not a down year.  It's the norm.  Since 2013:

8-5
7-6
8-5
10-4
4-3 (headed for 7-5 at best, 5-7 at worst)

It's becoming crystal clear that four, five losses or more is the norm, and anything above that is an anomaly.

I’ve posted a few times Gus came with growing pains. We are in it.  Look at Saban. Great year at Toledo, then at MSU only 2 of 5 seasons over 6 wins (one of which was 7). Growing/learning pains. At LSU, win count 8, 10, 8, 13, 9. I think that is consistent especially throwing in a NC. It took coming to Alabama, the help of selective vision at the NCAA, a few free Hummers, and who knows what else to make him “the best”. Great, yes. But the list above helps him be the best.

Many of the coaching wishes are gambles like Gus anyway (good OC/DC like Venables, etc) or flops (Kiffen, Strong). Or, the Pennsylvania guy reviving a blue blood.... 🤔 yeah, ain’t coming.

We should be beyond these kinds of growing pains.  Gus is in his 7th year as a head coach.  He was an OC for three years in the SEC prior to that.  This is excuse making.

Build the complex and make that investment.  If this continues, a year or so, move on. A lot of investment is being made in young players on the field, so see how that helps. It doesn’t help with injury/ shifting your OL. Or losing 2 top R.B. to the pros last year - can’t  fully blame recruiting there.

I’m as frustrated as anyone, but to each their own opinion. 

This isn't an either/or situation.  How many times does Lucy have to yank the football and you land on your back before you finally get it, Charlie Brown?  You're going to watch Alabama, UGA, LSU and perhaps Florida and Tennessee in the coming years compete for SEC titles and CFP appearances while 8-5 Gus drops winnable games because he only has one SEC caliber RB on the roster and the offense tanks when he goes down with an injury.  Or that he can't seem to have more than one decent QB on the roster at a time, or he whiffs on elite OL recruits and we're relying on grad transfers at OT from UMass.  This is Gus.  This is how it's going to be.  Sure, he'll put it all together once every five years and win 10+.  Might even contend for a CFP spot.  But this is what you'll endure until then.

Wake the **** up.

15 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

When Alabama wants a proven winning coach, it's never out of the question. But when Auburn talks about hiring a top coach who's a proven winner and great recruiter, people always say Auburn can't afford a top coach plus pay their coach. So if they can do it, why the hell can't Auburn. Is it the Auburn fans always thinks small and no 5* coach would come to Auburn we can't afford a 5* head coach ??? Hell, even Texas A&M got the mney together and hired Jimbo Fisher for something like 10 Million a year.

I don't think Bama saddles themselves with a forty million buyout right before firing an under performing coach to hire a new one. Surely alum like Tim Cook and yella fella and a few more wealthy supporters could pay for the buyout

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

For being a bammer troll.

He had valid arguments and didn’t attack one person. Whatever. 

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

He had valid arguments and didn’t attack one person. Whatever. 

He’s a Bama fan posing as an Auburn fan stirring the pot. And I wasn’t putting it to a vote. 

8 hours ago, tacosman said:

t

I just dont know why everyone is writing off these games other than bama. Some people are even saying olemiss is a very likely loss.  Huh?  this is the same olemiss team who was losing to arky last I checked?  An Arky team we routed....

7-5 is still the most likely record imo 

Did you actually watch that game?  We got beat by one of the worst UT teams to ever see a field AT HOME.  

We aren't beating Ole Miss.  We would have to be able to keep up with their scoring and we cannot.  

We may have beaten Arky earlier this season but that team is showing improvement week after week, and we are digressing.  We would probably not have beaten them today.  

Texas A&M, UGA, and Bama are going to have their way with us.  

You have to judge the product on the field and unfortunately that product right now is terrible.  Unless the coaches can get into these players heads and make a significant turnaround, we aren't going bowling and we have one more win on our schedule  

I now know what my Arkansas friends have felt like over the past few years.  

This should be a short thread. Gus has had plenty of time to recruit and build this program how he wants. There are no more players who were here before him. He has shown that he averages 4+ losses and has no idea how to coach a road game. No halftime adjustments. No learning from mistakes. Nothing.

We can find the money and we have to do so. Every game he coaches at Auburn sets us back further and further from recovering.

Kody f’n Burns could be the interim coach and we’d be just as bad as we are now. I honestly, no hyperbole or joking, believe there are 20+ people on this forum that could do better than what Gus currently is with this team.

I know people hate this line but we hired a high school coach. We hired a guy who came up with a cute idea for an offense and then never developed anything again. He’s like the coach from water boy. Cam was his Bobby.

15 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

Did you actually watch that game?  We got beat by one of the worst UT teams to ever see a field AT HOME.  

We aren't beating Ole Miss.  We would have to be able to keep up with their scoring and we cannot.  

We may have beaten Arky earlier this season but that team is showing improvement week after week, and we are digressing.  We would probably not have beaten them today.  

Texas A&M, UGA, and Bama are going to have their way with us.  

You have to judge the product on the field and unfortunately that product right now is terrible.  Unless the coaches can get into these players heads and make a significant turnaround, we aren't going bowling and we have one more win on our schedule  

I now know what my Arkansas friends have felt like over the past few years.  

I agree. If we played Arky and Washington again we lose.

3 minutes ago, Zeek said:

He has shown that he averages 4+ losses

It’s going to sound like I’m defending Gus in the next post, but I’m really not. Gus could easily be fired if no buyout, but Gus has a huge one. If it’s true that more players like Asa Martin are wanting to leave, his grave should already be dug.We have to have some quality depth next year and Gus can not afford to have any more conference games next season with little to no quality depth at certain critical positions. 

But, how’s your post any different to any other coach of ours?  Before this season, he had the twentieth best winning percentage anong all active coaches in the FBS. Auburn is historically a top 15 football program, not a top five program. Gus has been historically Auburn. 8-5 seasons don’t scare me off. I saw a different offense against Tennessee and that has given me some hope. 

14 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

It’s going to sound like I’m defending Gus in the next post, but I’m really not. Gus could easily be fired if no buyout, but Gus has a huge one. If it’s true that more players like Asa Martin are wanting to leave, his grave should already be dug.We have to have some quality depth next year and Gus can not afford to have any more conference games next season with little to no quality depth at certain critical positions. 

But, how’s your post any different to any other coach of ours?  Before this season, he had the twentieth best winning percentage anong all active coaches in the FBS. Auburn is historically a top 15 football program, not a top five program. Gus has been historically Auburn. 8-5 seasons don’t scare me off. I saw a different offense against Tennessee and that has given me some hope. 

I think it’s just about wanting better than what we have had. 3 losses should be the bar we aim for as a minimum.

We have to be better on the road as well as bowl games.

The offense on the first drive was a thing of beauty and it looked refreshing. It even had a hint of being a hurry up of sorts. However, we’ve historically had good first drives that were scripted and then cut away from what was working. We did that again this week.

I firmly believe this team will be worse next year. Everyone who thinks they have a chance at being drafted will leave. A number of players who can transfer as a Grad or RS transfer will likely do so.

This is dumpster fire territory. If we had to play Arky and Wash again they’d beat us. It would likely be a 2-5 season right now heading into likely 4 more losses.

1 minute ago, selias said:

I'd love to know just what the deep pockets people are thinking.

"maybe we should check his phone records"      lol  who knows

49 minutes ago, Zeek said:

This should be a short thread. Gus has had plenty of time to recruit and build this program how he wants. There are no more players who were here before him. He has shown that he averages 4+ losses and has no idea how to coach a road game. No halftime adjustments. No learning from mistakes. Nothing.

We can find the money and we have to do so. Every game he coaches at Auburn sets us back further and further from recovering.

Kody f’n Burns could be the interim coach and we’d be just as bad as we are now. I honestly, no hyperbole or joking, believe there are 20+ people on this forum that could do better than what Gus currently is with this team.

I know people hate this line but we hired a high school coach. We hired a guy who came up with a cute idea for an offense and then never developed anything again. He’s like the coach from water boy. Cam was his Bobby.

When UT attempted that onside kick after taking the lead, I honestly envisioned Gus in a fetal position on the sideline just like the coach of the Mud Dawgs.  Pruitt owns Gus.

35 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

He's a boob. We almost never get beat. He just causes losses. Now it's to the point the players see it too. I'm glad you identify with being top 15, and our garbage-time touchdown bought you some hope. 

2 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

He's a boob. We almost never get beat. He just causes losses. Now it's to the point the players see it too. I'm glad you identify with being top 15, and our garbage-time touchdown bought you some hope. 

👍

The offense did better but still had the same issues over and over rear it’s head. Auburn goes away from what works time and time again and it’s not because the defense took it away. It’s showing up less and less prepared to games and making idiotic mistakes that players of our caliber and seniority should not be making. That is on the coaches. That is why I’m off the bus

6 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

I'm glad you identify with being top 15, and our garbage-time touchdown bought you some hope. 

Tempo was better. Play calling on first down was better. Converted more third downs. Stidham was one dropped Slayton TD from having 3 TDs and over 360 yards passing. That’s a far cry from what we saw against Southern Miss. 

18 hours ago, AUFriction said:

People always reply with “there are better coaches out there,” but I have yet to see anyone mention names. Quality coaches are few and far between right now.

David Shaw from Stanford. It'd never happen cause it would take a LOT of millions to get him to leave Stanford and come here, but he'd be great for the program. I mean he's the man responsible for running back phenomenons like Bryce Love and Christian McCaffrey. Imagine what he could do in the SEC with the A+ hires he makes on his coaching staff.

6 minutes ago, WDE0007 said:

David Shaw from Stanford. It'd never happen cause it would take a LOT of millions to get him to leave Stanford and come here, but he'd be great for the program. I mean he's the man responsible for running back phenomenons like Bryce Love and Christian McCaffrey. Imagine what he could do in the SEC with the A+ hires he makes on his coaching staff.

I don't see it happening, but in a perfect world David Shaw would be right at the top of my list. His teams are always fundamentally sound

17 minutes ago, WDE0007 said:

You basically just made Friction’s point. There is no way we would get Shaw. We should obviously gauge his interest though. We don’t necessarily want to “ask” because being turned down turns into negative PR. 

Obstacles:

-Auburn’s position in the CFB hierarchy. The better teams can willingly retain their coaches from Auburn. 

-The buyout. Still have to buyout our current staff and hire the next one. We will need to hire a staff that can feasibly make the buyouts work while also being an upgrade in coaching. 

Archived