Fire Gus (merged threads)

AuburnTiger4Life

17 hours ago, AUFriction said:

Absolutely.

I just don’t think firing Gus immediately is the way to address it. I’d expect some staff changes in the off-season, and to be in the mix for the championship next year. If that’s not what happens, then I’d drop Gus maybe after next season. 

Gus could hire Jesus onto his offensive staff and it wouldn't make a difference because Gus is way too controlling and stubborn. The reason the defense is so good is cause Steele has complete control over it.

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, tacosman said:

are we supposed to win the sec west every year??  

Gus has won it twice in  years, with 1 sec title over that time.  Now 6 years.  Ill take that in a division with lsu and bama.

I would get the complaining if we hadn't just won the secwest LAST YEAR.  You can't talk about firing a guy who just won the sec west in spectacular fashion.  

most people in the auburn family understand these thing.....this the sky is falling attitude after a couple bad games is typical of message board stuff.  

We're not asking to win the SEC West every year, especially since we ARE in a division with LSU and Bama. We're asking to not lose games due to poor coaching.

If we lose to Ole Miss, beat Liberty in a close game, get beat by 20+ to AM, Georgia, and Bama to finish as an ugly 5-7 team is Gus legit fired? 

Positive scenario is we beat Ole Miss and Liberty. We might play AM close. Would 6-6 cause a change in coaches?

1 minute ago, sevenlee36 said:

If we lose to Ole Miss, beat Liberty in a close game, get beat by 20+ to AM, Georgia, and Bama to finish as an ugly 5-7 team is Gus legit fired? 

Positive scenario is we beat Ole Miss and Liberty. We might play AM close. Would 6-6 cause a change in coaches?

Losing games will not get Gus fired.  Not this year and probably not next.  

Just now, AURealist said:

If we lose to Liberty and finish 4-8 (It is possible Liberty just beat Troy) Gus is still retained? I know there is the huge buyout but there is losing and then there is losing ugly. We retain him and he starts next season out 2-4 should he had been fired? I know it’s all hypothetical.

18 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Watch. They'll go get Rhett Lashlee

This is a new day brother. Allen Greene is NOT JJ. Don't think for one second Greene is happy about what he was saddled with... 

The majority of the alumni fan base cares anout reputation. We care about Auburn values and the creed. Bama will hire whatever coach will win. Same with UGA. Auburn has always cared about HOW we win, and has always focused a lot more on cultural fit than these other schools. That’s why alumni are always involved in coaching hires. That’s why questions about values and Auburn culture have always been included in the coach selection process. That’s why Auburn tends to hire a lot of alumni into athletic department and coaching positions. 

This is why we will stay mediocre unless something changes. People want to complain about losing these games... Well we have a Saint running our football team... And average 4 or 5 losses per season with him... Even had 4 losses last season, a season many consider a great year. 

I never posted my preseason analysis of this season on here. But, if you want to know, I said this season would hinge on OL development. I figured the offense would be a work in progress this season. I figured the speed at which the OL improved would affect how well we would do. I had projections stemming from 5-7 to 11-1 depending on how quickly they developed. I ended up being right.

Yeah you were right by saying we could finish 5-7 to 11-1. It's a wonder you don't get paid to make predictions. 

10 hours ago, kwagoner said:

(1)Nothing. Folks have their mind made up. Everything negative has been, is, and will be his fault. If they offense were to start putting up 750 yards and 60 points per game, it would be only because of Chip - yet struggles are all him.

(2)If 8-4 is a down year, I’m ok with that. All the folks that want “10 wins” ask you closest UGA buddy about Mark Richt. 9 of 15 years had over 10 wins and only once less than 8. They hated him and wanted him gone every year.

(3)I’ve posted a few times Gus came with growing pains. We are in it.  Look at Saban.

(4)Or losing 2 top R.B. to the pros last year - can’t  fully blame recruiting there.

1.  This isn't Chips offense. So 1000 yards a game or 2 yards total in a game, it's all on Gus. Chip may be calling the plays, but he is calling from a list Gus approves ahead of time. Look at Chips time at Southern Miss and/or Arizona State. This offense looks NOTHING like a Chip Lindsey offense. 

2. Auburn is not UGA. In our 100+ years of playing football we have won 10 games in back to back seasons only once. It's not just about wins and losses. It's about how you look in the losses. It's about how the season progresses. Last season was a 4 loss season, and no one complained it was a terrible season. Why? Because we looked better after each game. Each game we got better. This season, we have regressed each game. Gus has taken a sure fire 1st round QB and turned him into Barrett Trotter or Clint Mosley. It's inexcusable. 

3. NICK SABAN HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH AUBURN UNIVERSITY. NICK SABAN HASN'T MADE THE TEAM REGRESS EACH WEEK. NICK SABAN DOESN'T SAY THE SAME OLD CRAP AFTER EVERY GAME. NICK SABAN DOESN'T BLAME ALL THE ISSUES ON HIS PLAYERS NOT EXECUTING. 

Now that - that is out of the way... The growing pains excuse is old. Gus has been here 6 years. After every loss in that 6 years, he hasn't taken responsibility. It's ALWAYS the players not executing. ALWAYS. At some point when you keep making the same mistakes over and over and not learning from them, it becomes apparent you simply don't (or can't) learn from his mistakes. 

Gus is the one who hasnt recruited at RB worth a crap. That isn't anyone else's fault. Since Gus became the head coach, a grand total of 1 (ONE) RB recruit has exceeded expectations (KJ.) One season he recruited one RB, and that RB isn't even playing offense anymore (Barrett.) Asa Martin could be a good one, but there is no guarantee that he stays. He is thinking of transferring. Worm is amazing, but he is a change of pace back. There is no chance he is our RB1 between the tackles guy. Joiner wasn't recruited to be a RB. He was recruited to be a hybrid TE. With as much as Gus loves running the ball between the tackles, he sure has done a terrible job recruiting that guy. 

Gus is also responsible for the mess at OL. I mean he had Grimes, forced out Grimes by offering him an off the field position since he couldn't recruit (going to coach with his son was the feel good story pushed by the sunshine pumpers, ABSOLUTELY NOT THE TRUTH,) then hired his buddy Herb Hand, Auburn and Penn State only gave up record sack numbers under his tutelage. Don't give me but Texas. Give Hand time. He will ruin them just like he did our OL and Penn States OL. THEN rather than going out and getting a real OL coach who can coach and recruit, Gus goes back to a familiar yes man retread and brings Grimes back. 

It's ALL on Gus. Good and Bad. 

4. You ABSOLUTELY do blame Gus and recruiting there. They didn't have anything planned. You don't just recruit one guy in one of your main positions of need. And we have done a TERRIBLE job recruiting RBs. It ABSOLUTELY is on Gus for not recruiting anyone ahead of time to fill the gap. 

6 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

If we lose to Liberty and finish 4-8 (It is possible Liberty just beat Troy) 

We are not losing to Liberty dude. We wouldn’t lose to Troy either. They’re not even in our food chain. 

7 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

If we lose to Liberty and finish 4-8 (It is possible Liberty just beat Troy) Gus is still retained? I know there is the huge buyout but there is losing and then there is losing ugly. We retain him and he starts next season out 2-4 should he had been fired? I know it’s all hypothetical.

We can lose every game remaining on the schedule he won't be fired. It will NOT happen. People need to just let that go. Most likely we could lose every single game next season as well and in 2020, he is still our head coach. 

Thinking we can make him miserable or thinking we can restructure his buyout is wishful thinking at best. 

Even if we try to force staff changes and hamstring his hires, he still isn't going anywhere. We can make him miserable until the cows come home. 49 million can't make you happy, but it sure as **** can make you unhappy in comfort. 

1 minute ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

We can lose every game remaining on the schedule he won't be fired. It will NOT happen. People need to just let that go. Most likely we could lose every single game next season as well and in 2020, he is still our head coach. 

If Pat Dye comes out publicly and states “even if Auburn loses their remaining games we won’t fire Gus, he’s a good man”, all bets are off.

9 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

We are not losing to Liberty dude. We wouldn’t lose to Troy either. They’re not even in our food chain. 

I think your right Dude we will squeak one out like we did Jax St

5 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

I think your right Dude we will squeak one out like we did Jax St

Liberty is no Jax State.

10 hours ago, tacosman said:

he also is getting 100% of his buyout....with no offset even. so there was no negotiation(why would sumlin do any?)

For him the buyout must have been worth the stress his family had to endure. 

29 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

This is a new day brother. Allen Greene is NOT JJ. Don't think for one second Greene is happy about what he was saddled with... 

This is why we will stay mediocre unless something changes. People want to complain about losing these games... Well we have a Saint running our football team... And average 4 or 5 losses per season with him... Even had 4 losses last season, a season many consider a great year. 

Yeah you were right by saying we could finish 5-7 to 11-1. It's a wonder you don't get paid to make predictions. 

1.  This isn't Chips offense. So 1000 yards a game or 2 yards total in a game, it's all on Gus. Chip may be calling the plays, but he is calling from a list Gus approves ahead of time. Look at Chips time at Southern Miss and/or Arizona State. This offense looks NOTHING like a Chip Lindsey offense. 

2. Auburn is not UGA. In our 100+ years of playing football we have won 10 games in back to back seasons only once. It's not just about wins and losses. It's about how you look in the losses. It's about how the season progresses. Last season was a 4 loss season, and no one complained it was a terrible season. Why? Because we looked better after each game. Each game we got better. This season, we have regressed each game. Gus has taken a sure fire 1st round QB and turned him into Barrett Trotter or Clint Mosley. It's inexcusable. 

3. NICK SABAN HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH AUBURN UNIVERSITY. NICK SABAN HASN'T MADE THE TEAM REGRESS EACH WEEK. NICK SABAN DOESN'T SAY THE SAME OLD CRAP AFTER EVERY GAME. NICK SABAN DOESN'T BLAME ALL THE ISSUES ON HIS PLAYERS NOT EXECUTING. 

Now that - that is out of the way... The growing pains excuse is old. Gus has been here 6 years. After every loss in that 6 years, he hasn't taken responsibility. It's ALWAYS the players not executing. ALWAYS. At some point when you keep making the same mistakes over and over and not learning from them, it becomes apparent you simply don't (or can't) learn from his mistakes. 

Gus is the one who hasnt recruited at RB worth a crap. That isn't anyone else's fault. Since Gus became the head coach, a grand total of 1 (ONE) RB recruit has exceeded expectations (KJ.) One season he recruited one RB, and that RB isn't even playing offense anymore (Barrett.) Asa Martin could be a good one, but there is no guarantee that he stays. He is thinking of transferring. Worm is amazing, but he is a change of pace back. There is no chance he is our RB1 between the tackles guy. Joiner wasn't recruited to be a RB. He was recruited to be a hybrid TE. With as much as Gus loves running the ball between the tackles, he sure has done a terrible job recruiting that guy. 

Gus is also responsible for the mess at OL. I mean he had Grimes, forced out Grimes by offering him an off the field position since he couldn't recruit (going to coach with his son was the feel good story pushed by the sunshine pumpers, ABSOLUTELY NOT THE TRUTH,) then hired his buddy Herb Hand, Auburn and Penn State only gave up record sack numbers under his tutelage. Don't give me but Texas. Give Hand time. He will ruin them just like he did our OL and Penn States OL. THEN rather than going out and getting a real OL coach who can coach and recruit, Gus goes back to a familiar yes man retread and brings Grimes back. 

It's ALL on Gus. Good and Bad. 

4. You ABSOLUTELY do blame Gus and recruiting there. They didn't have anything planned. You don't just recruit one guy in one of your main positions of need. And we have done a TERRIBLE job recruiting RBs. It ABSOLUTELY is on Gus for not recruiting anyone ahead of time to fill the gap. 

So the Nick Saban bogey man argument doesn’t work for you either? I was starting to think I was the only one. 

Once Gus leaves, fired or otherwise he will never coach again. He knows that. For one who would hire him and second he will be plenty rich. If he cared for Auburn he would negotiate a better deal for AU but still come out wealthy. The university , the town and businesses will lose millions this year due to Gus. The  money is there to buy him out but just waiting for the best moment. But it wouldn't be done until 2019. 

I havent met the new AD but pretty soon the heat will be on him to do something. He seems like a smart guy and I would think already looking at options. Also believe he will stay away from the Jimmy Sexton's carousel of recycled coaches. 

56 minutes ago, AURealist said:

unfortunately, you are correct.....doublebubble has sucked the life right out of the program

19 hours ago, AUFriction said:

I never posted my preseason analysis of this season on here. But, if you want to know, I said this season would hinge on OL development. I figured the offense would be a work in progress this season. I figured the speed at which the OL improved would affect how well we would do. I had projections stemming from 5-7 to 11-1 depending on how quickly they developed. I ended up being right.

Are you seriously trying to take credit for saying that our record would be anywhere from 5-7 to 11-1?

1 hour ago, WDE0007 said:

Gus could hire Jesus onto his offensive staff and it wouldn't make a difference because Gus is way too controlling and stubborn. The reason the defense is so good is cause Steele has complete control over it.

So good?? I would say average to good on occasions.   What team have we played that has a very good offense?   Washington?  They moved the ball up and down the field and save an offensive pick call, Washington would more than likely beaten AU.    Way too many conversions on third and long for me to say they are great defense and to give KS the pass that some are giving that side of the board.   

As bad as the offense is playing, if AU had an elite defense, they would be undefeated.   

2 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

Are you seriously trying to take credit for saying that our record would be anywhere from 5-7 to 11-1?

I had it anywhere from 0-12 to 15-0. 

38 minutes ago, DAG said:

So the Nick Saban bogey man argument doesn’t work for you either? I was starting to think I was the only one. 

NOT REMOTELY. It gets as old as the "growing pains" argument. 

Just now, gr82be said:

I had it anywhere from 0-12 to 15-0. 

Me, too!! I knew that our success this year hinged on whether or not we could score more points than our opponent. I ended up being right.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Not that he’s a boogey man.... wasn’t my argument. He is the benchmark of all comparisons. He is a great coach, which I noted. Has been a great coach. He gets to UA and all of a sudden can’t lose?  

The point of the comparison is that he wasn’t winning 10 games a year every year, which is what people are demanding from a HC. And it took more than 6 years to do it.

And, the point of Richt is that even if you get that wish, you. can still be very disappointed.

Not saying we are UA or UGA, or that I’m 100% satisfied with the product we are seeing. I’m just saying “Fire Fire Fire” isn’t always the best. It may end up being the best but I’m not leading a lynch mob just yet.

I am glad at least some people in here can see things clearly. 

Malzahn is our coach next year, NO MATTER WHAT, and most likely they year after. 

We would have to lose every single game next year to even have a chance to fire him after next year and even then it most likely won't happen. 

Gus got the security he wanted with his last extension. @oracle79 you are welcome to face-palm everything I say. Doesn't make it wrong.

I'm not happy with the performance of this team, but short of winning the lottery, there isn't a thing any of us can do except just become numb to Gus and his ways. 

Don't show up for the games and you are hurting the players as well as the city of Auburn and Lee County. Don't buy merchandise and you are hurting the university. 

Any real fan will support this team win or lose, but we don't have to be happy with them. 

7 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I am glad at least some people in here can see things clearly. 

Malzahn is our coach next year, NO MATTER WHAT, 

Thank you. Doesn’t take a Gus defender to see this. 

7 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Don't show up for the games and you are hurting the players as well as the city of Auburn and Lee County. Don't buy merchandise and you are hurting the university. 

Any real fan will support this team win or lose, but we don't have to be happy with them. 

Thank you! It also destroys the family vibe that we sell to recruits when they visit to half empty stadiums. I’m not afraid to pull out the real fan card, and I’m willing to use it.  

Good post, Eugene. 

Archived