Data on how predictable we are on Offense...

GwillMac6

On 10/15/2018 at 5:50 PM, GwillMac6 said:

Makes a lot of sense lol sooo pass more with Cox in the game.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Win4AU said:

I’ll ignore the sarcasm and take this as a serious statement and make one point.  Execution is the problem with this play.  When the edge rusher comes on the blitz the WC Qb should have kept and run up the left side for a gain.  The zone read doesn’t work if you don’t read the outside rusher.  The biggest problem I’ve noticed with Auburn’s zone read is the lack of the read.

To bad the WC qb did not take the initiative to abuse the blitz by keeping the ball

Nothing works 100% of the time. That's why you add wrinkles DURING the game, not after going into the next week. There are no adjustments which is why we usually tend to look fairly good in the first 10 plays. They're all "scripted " wrinkles. Then the D adjusts and we go back to the original design that the DC already knows how to key on. There is no creativity with Gus on the fly....none. He has a tendency to go away from what works then tries to get cute in the most inopportune times. Sometimes fast paced, others lost and bewildered. Add in questionable OL play,  a slow QB and personnel tip offs to plays and it's asking for the same results we're getting. Garbage. I mean why in hell with poor OL blocking would you call a play action pass that takes 5 sec or more to develop on 3 and 10+?

Yep we look great with the script usually. When Gus has 6 full days to call a drive he's unstoppable. When he has 25 seconds to get a play in, though? Yikes

4 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Yep we look great with the script usually. When Gus has 6 full days to call a drive he's unstoppable. When he has 25 seconds to get a play in, though? Yikes

LSU beat us with one formation, Moo State did it with one play, and Tennessee did it with three predictable plays.

Our issues are numerous and very deep quite frankly. Gus isn’t righting this ship.

5 hours ago, atl-tiger said:

I think the main issue here is what has Gus/Chip seen with this line that thinks we would have time to pull off some double reverse crap trick play?

The line did hold. Boobie missed the corner blitz. Jarrett said post game he couldn’t throw it out of bounds because it’s a penalty so he threw it in the vicinity of Ryan. But he could have dumped it to or towards Boobie. This is all on Boobie and Jarrett. He has terrific arm talent but hasn’t shown he can think on his feet. I never understood the excitement people got when they thought he would be able to audible at the line. 

How much did the rule changes or shift in things refs focus on attribute to Gus' downfall? 

Between the refs standing over the ball and the emphasis on keeping a more serious eye on how far down field OL get etc. I remember quite a few things being changed since Gus' peak. 

6 hours ago, keesler said:

This play had to have worked in practice or they'd have never even attempted it in live game action.  So you gotta ask yourself if that particular play was successful then who the hell did they put in to defend it in practice?

This. Everything you see you have to assume works in practice.

However, football practice has changed. It is no longer full speed, nor does it have any significant level of contact.

You would think our OL' s weakness would be glaring if they went against our 1st team DL. But they go against a scout team DL and everything is done at half speed with no significant contact and a quick whistle.

That said, everyone practices like this today. So there is even more required of the coaches to analyze the small amount of what they see, compared to a full-contact scrimmage where the results speak for themselves.

I honestly think that is of of our coaching gap. Practice analysis.

The wildcat double reverse pass has worked in the past, but we probably went to the well once too often.

22 minutes ago, Tiger said:

How much did the rule changes or shift in things refs focus on attribute to Gus' downfall? 

Between the refs standing over the ball and the emphasis on keeping a more serious eye on how far down field OL get etc. I remember quite a few things being changed since Gus' peak. 

It's interesting that rules may have effected him but here's my 2¢...

#1. I believe I recall CEJ complaining a bit that the speed of Gus' practices hurt his abilities to properly practice the defense.  I believe this was echoed by Boom too and I suspect the practice speeds were slowed down to accommodate a better defense (successfully).

#2. They no longer go fast anyway.  They line up (like everybody else now) and then meerkat into whatever play Gus/Chip wants to call.

#3.  On the off chance they DO go "Nascar" as they call it, 90% of the time it's a dive play (still) or a screen to Ryan Davis.  So "Nascar" (Auburn Fast) = Predictability.

I could be wrong.  But seems this way to me.  They don't really go fast anymore anyway.  It's "window dressing" just like their motions.....which have never changed in 6 years either....

4 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

It's interesting that rules may have effected him but here's my 2¢...

#1. I believe I recall CEJ complaining a bit that the speed of Gus' practices hurt his abilities to properly practice the defense.  I believe this was echoed by Boom too and I suspect the practice speeds were slowed down to accommodate a better defense (successfully).

#2. They no longer go fast anyway.  They line up (like everybody else now) and then meerkat into whatever play Gus/Chip wants to call.

#3.  On the off chance they DO go "Nascar" as they call it, 90% of the time it's a dive play (still) or a screen to Ryan Davis.  So "Nascar" (Auburn Fast) = Predictability.

I could be wrong.  But seems this way to me.  They don't really go fast anymore anyway.  It's "window dressing" just like their motions.....which have never changed in 6 years either....

Auburn’s version of “NASCAR”?

2 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Auburn’s version of “NASCAR”?

Sweet mother of god, I haven't laughed that hard in awhile. Thanks!

Guest WarEagleSteve
23 hours ago, Tiger said:

You're right about the reads.

But the play is doomed pre-snap if the opposing coach knows exactly what our playcall is. Our offense under Gus has now permanently become the equivalent of the 2010 first half of the Iron Bowl when Saban and staff knew our signals. Now instead of signals they can tell based on personnel and formation. Unbelievable. It's not hyperbole when people say Gus has been figured out. Smh

Gus has been figured out because he’s apparently forgotten how to tailor his offense to his players. Gus’ most successful offenses have been centered around a core play or concept and built from there (2010-inverted veer, 2013-zone read). What is this offense’s core play or concept? There isn’t one because Gus does not know how to build an identity for a team that struggles to run the football. When the running game clicks, Gus looks like a genius. If it doesn’t, he has NO IDEA how to adjust. 

30 minutes ago, WarEagleSteve said:

Gus has been figured out because he’s apparently forgotten how to tailor his offense to his players. Gus’ most successful offenses have been centered around a core play or concept and built from there (2010-inverted veer, 2013-zone read). What is this offense’s core play or concept? There isn’t one because Gus does not know how to build an identity for a team that struggles to run the football. When the running game clicks, Gus looks like a genius. If it doesn’t, he has NO IDEA how to adjust. 

It's still the inverted veer/zone-read.

....only without a running QB to keep the Defense honest.  Also it makes sure to do play action on almost all passing plays to make sure the 5 sec+ delays give the OLine time to do backward summersaults, spinning whiffs, and play air-guitar.

Guest WarEagleSteve
29 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

It's still the inverted veer/zone-read.

....only without a running QB to keep the Defense honest.  Also it makes sure to do play action on almost all passing plays to make sure the 5 sec+ delays give the OLine time to do backward summersaults, spinning whiffs, and play air-guitar.

Actually, for the past two years the staple play has been inside zone. The difference last year was that the o-line was able to execute blocks and we had a RB in KJ with patience and vision to exploit that type of scheme. No running QB would be able to overcome the lack of imagination in the passing game and the playcalling predictability currently plaguing this offense

On 10/16/2018 at 7:38 PM, weagl1 said:

Most teams scout themselves to recognize the same tendencies the other teams are looking for and try to stay one step ahead.  Gus obviously never heard that.  

If you don't need it in IA Private Christian School Football then you don't need it in the SEC.

On 10/18/2018 at 3:01 PM, leglessdan said:

Nothing works 100% of the time. That's why you add wrinkles DURING the game, not after going into the next week. There are no adjustments which is why we usually tend to look fairly good in the first 10 plays. They're all "scripted " wrinkles. Then the D adjusts and we go back to the original design that the DC already knows how to key on. There is no creativity with Gus on the fly....none. He has a tendency to go away from what works then tries to get cute in the most inopportune times. Sometimes fast paced, others lost and bewildered. Add in questionable OL play,  a slow QB and personnel tip offs to plays and it's asking for the same results we're getting. Garbage. I mean why in hell with poor OL blocking would you call a play action pass that takes 5 sec or more to develop on 3 and 10+?

This.  Started noticing it in 2014, there are no adjustments being made.  3rd Q stats tell the tale.

Just now, Randman5000 said:
  1. “32 million isn’t that much …”
  2. “The heavens misaligned when Jarrett Stidham got engaged …”
  3. “Are there only four plays in the playbook?”
  4. “I miss Kerryon Johnson …”
  5. “Why can’t we clone a football version of Bruce Pearl …”
  6. “These coaches said the same thing three weeks ago, and the week after that, and the week after that.”
  7. “Time to readjust my blood pressure medication … again …”
  8. “PUT ASA MARTIN IN.”
  9. “I wanted to spend New Year’s Day doing jigsaw puzzles so it’s cool.”
  10. “THROW THE BALL AWAY PLEASE!”
  11. “What kind of conditioner is Sal Canella using?”
  12. “THE OFFENSIVE LINE IS OFFENSIVE.”
  13. “If we throw another bubble screen just drop kick me, Jesus.”
  14. “Oh, our biggest rivals have consistent coaches, nice.” 🙁
  15. “I miss Nick Marshall…”
  16. “But Tennessee is an SEC doormat…we CAN’T lose to UT…RIGHT!? RIGHT!?”
  17. “Maybe I should take up gardening?”
  18. “OK 32 million is a lot…we need divine intervention.”
  19. “PUT MALIK WILLIS IN.”
  20. “Oh how wonderful, a flag!”
  21. “We’re gonna get beat by an Ole Miss team that isn’t even bowl eligible …”
  22. “Someone please go hug Kevin Steele and our defense …”
  23. “Please play someone else …”
  24. “We are a basketball school!”
  25. “Oh, so we aren’t going to make any adjustments this week? Cool.”
  26. “PUT JOEY GATEWOOD IN.”
  27. “Stupid sugar huddle …”
  28. “Can we clone Bo Jackson?”
  29. “If everyone in attendance at an Auburn football game brought $556 then we would be able to buy out Gus Malzahn’s contract …”
  30. “… If we can fill all of the seating…”

https://flywareagle.com/2018/10/19/auburn-football-bad-loss-tennessee-ole-miss-gus-malzahn-offense-jarrett-stidham/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

On 10/17/2018 at 11:31 PM, Randman5000 said:

Read this article as well. 

If RB blocks the edge rusher, Stidham has time, but that's not the point here as it does appear Pruitt is calling the play. 

Archived