Can't make this up

cole256

My issue with Clark is that he doesn't have a lot of experience and hasn't spent time learning big time football under big time coaches. He very well could be another Gus in the early stages of his career. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

Would you care to line up Bill Clark's resume with Gus Malzahn's? 

I don't think he won as many state championships at the high school level as Gustav, but he was pretty good.  😉  Why would we want another HS coach?  Haven't we already had one too many?

3 hours ago, wcware said:

So true. I would love to feel what the 230 UAB fans feel right now. I miss that feeling.

Yessir!!! We LIT over heeeeeeeeeeeerreeee!!!! Go Blazers!!!!

IMG_1609.GIF

IMG_1610.GIF

IMG_1611.GIF

Just now, saminbama said:

I don't think he won as many state championships at the high school level as Gustav, but he was pretty good.  😉  Why would we want another HS coach?  Haven't we already had one too many?

AMEN! :hail:

Screw the high school route at any coaching position at a P5, SEC program.  Why settle for a HS background when other programs are stock piling a staff full of former pro assistants or college HC's?

I am really happy for UAB. They have been nothing for so long. In fact, I remember when UAB with Watson Brown went to Baton Rouge and beat LSU. Would you care to guess who was LSU's head coach? that's right, it was Nick Saban. That's why we will NEVER see UAB on UAT's football schedule's as long as little Nickey is in turdtown.

Auburn went from Tubs who could develop but couldn’t recruit to Chizik and Gus who can recruit high end talent but not develop them.  Bill Clark can obviously develop players but I wonder how good could he recruit at a top tier program?  I guess Auburn won’t get to see this year based on what Gus, the AD, and President have said this week.

2 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Last year Auburn was 10-2 in the regular season. UAB was 8-4. The year before that, UAB was 6-6. I'm not saying Clark is a bad coach by any means, but there are high water marks and droughts for every school. Just because UAB is the flavor of the week doesn't mean that we would be better off trading coaches with them, as some in this thread seem to be suggesting.

I agree. 

2 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

I am really happy for UAB. They have been nothing for so long. In fact, I remember when UAB with Watson Brown went to Baton Rouge and beat LSU. Would you care to guess who was LSU's head coach? that's right, it was Nick Saban. That's why we will NEVER see UAB on UAT's football schedule's as long as little Nickey is in turdtown.

Yea that was LSU's first game under Saban back in 2000. They lost to us a few weeks later but then beat a highly ranked Fulmer TN team to start things rolling in BR.

8 hours ago, McLoofus said:

It's all Chip Lindsey's fault. 

No, no, no it’s all the defense fault and then chip Lindsey 

9 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Last year Auburn was 10-2 in the regular season. UAB was 8-4. The year before that, UAB was 6-6. I'm not saying Clark is a bad coach by any means, but there are high water marks and droughts for every school. Just because UAB is the flavor of the week doesn't mean that we would be better off trading coaches with them, as some in this thread seem to be suggesting.

its called a trajectory

Gus's career has been a horrendous flop since his last conference championship, with consistent top 10 resources. It'd be a straight drop with a break thrown somewhere right before hitting rock bottom in the form of 2017

Im not  saying we should take Bill Clark but UAB is definitely a better program than us right now, and I highly doubt we'd be assured victory against them right now. We've almost lost to less than them and its honestly safe to say they're comparable to UT, who we got our ass beat by 

Its just good to admit the despair of the situation sometimes 

Congrats to all the people that worked so hard to bring UAB Football back from Bama BOT mandated execution.  Coach Bill Clark has done a great job under trying circumstances.  I’m surprised he stuck with UAB during the struggle to undo the decision to disband the Football program.  I have great respect for his accomplishments.

What is the purpose of this thread???? If UAB played our schedule they would not be ranked in the top 25. Good gracious, I know it has been a terrible season but do we have to keep being so negative????? And when I say we I am including me because I am just as guilty of being too negative as any of my fellow Auburn Family members.

35 minutes ago, Sully to Beasley said:

What is the purpose of this thread???? If UAB played our schedule they would not be ranked in the top 25. Good gracious, I know it has been a terrible season but do we have to keep being so negative????? And when I say we I am including me because I am just as guilty of being too negative as any of my fellow Auburn Family members.

If that's the case then what as the point of your post🤔

54 minutes ago, Sully to Beasley said:

You get my point. This thread is as useless as my previous post. 😋

Depending on who says it to you. My opinions are just as important as yours. When I actually saw it, it was mind boggling to be that UAB is ranked higher than us. That should never be. It's not like it happens all the time.   But let stat or somebody post some stat that hasn't happen in fifty years you be running behind him saying thanks so much.....

On 11/13/2018 at 9:57 AM, cole256 said:

UAB is ranked and we're not.....UAB is ranked ahead of us. Think about that, we thought we would be championship contenders...

they are better and would beat us....sad,ain't it

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

Depending on who says it to you. My opinions are just as important as yours. When I actually saw it, it was mind boggling to be that UAB is ranked higher than us. That should never be. It's not like it happens all the time.   But let stat or somebody post some stat that hasn't happen in fifty years you be running behind him saying thanks so much.....

Yes my friend, your opinions are just as important as mine or anyone else's. I t was not my desire to offend you.  Please accept my sincere apology.

War Eagle!

3 hours ago, doverstutts said:

they are better and would beat us....sad,ain't it

Very sad. And mind blowing. It makes you think what if they had the resources and talent we had?

On 11/13/2018 at 6:26 PM, ChltteTiger said:

Yea that was LSU's first game under Saban back in 2000. They lost to us a few weeks later but then beat a highly ranked Fulmer TN team to start things rolling in BR.

Actually, LSU lost to UAB the week after they lost to us in 2000.

On 11/13/2018 at 2:12 PM, McLoofus said:

Oh, regarding SOS: we beat Southern Miss by 11 and UAB beat them by 3. We both played at home. I could see Auburn- 90,000 seat stadium, preseason top 10, reigning SEC West champion- beating UAB by 7-10 points at home. Sure. 

That was a trap game for Auburn, because it was a lesser light on the schedule, not someone the players would feel all pumped about playing. And just for the record, after 60 minutes of football, UAB was tied with USM.

On 11/13/2018 at 2:55 PM, saminbama said:

That was kind of my point.

35 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

That was a trap game for Auburn, because it was a lesser light on the schedule, not someone the players would feel all pumped about playing. And just for the record, after 60 minutes of football, UAB was tied with USM.

Trap game for Auburn? Between unranked Arkansas and unranked Mississippi State? That might not hold water even if we'd looked remotely prepared for MSU. Besides, you're replying to one small anecdote picked from a lot of more meaningful information. We've meandered far away from the point.

No, UAB couldn't compete against AU's schedule. But it's just as valid to point out that Gus couldn't recruit nearly the caliber of athlete or assistant coach at UAB that he can at AU. And it's very much up for debate as to whether or not he could replicate Clark's success there. 

Now, someone might be tempted to mention Arkansas State. I'm not going to do too much research into that, but I did already know that Gus inherited the QB described below and a very, very healthy Red Wolves team from Hugh Freeze:

"Enters senior season with 16 school records to his credit, including eight season, five single-game and three career marks that stand atop the most successful in ASU history . . . In just three seasons Aplin has broken the school record for career completions (633) . . . Currently second all-time at ASU in career total offense (8,734) and passing yards (7,416), third in passing touchdowns (43) and fifth in rushing touchdowns (25) . . .

...Enters his senior season as the conferences fourth all-time leader in total offense, completions and passing yards . . . Nation's fifth leading player in career passing yards and completions and fourth leading player in career total offense among current players . . . USA Today Preseason Sun Belt Conference Player of the Year . . . Athlon's, Blue Ribbon College Yearbook, Phil Steele's Preseason First Team All-Sun Belt Conference . . . Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award Watch List . . . Manning Award Watch List . . . Walter Camp Watch List."

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Trap game for Auburn? Between unranked Arkansas and unranked Mississippi State? That might not hold water even if we'd looked remotely prepared for MSU. Besides, you're replying to one small anecdote picked from a lot of more meaningful information. We've meandered far away from the point.

No, UAB couldn't compete against AU's schedule. But it's just as valid to point out that Gus couldn't recruit nearly the caliber of athlete or assistant coach at UAB that he can at AU. And it's very much up for debate as to whether or not he could replicate Clark's success there. 

Now, someone might be tempted to mention Arkansas State. I'm not going to do too much research into that, but I did already know that Gus inherited the QB described below and a very, very healthy Red Wolves team from Hugh Freeze:

"Enters senior season with 16 school records to his credit, including eight season, five single-game and three career marks that stand atop the most successful in ASU history . . . In just three seasons Aplin has broken the school record for career completions (633) . . . Currently second all-time at ASU in career total offense (8,734) and passing yards (7,416), third in passing touchdowns (43) and fifth in rushing touchdowns (25) . . .

...Enters his senior season as the conferences fourth all-time leader in total offense, completions and passing yards . . . Nation's fifth leading player in career passing yards and completions and fourth leading player in career total offense among current players . . . USA Today Preseason Sun Belt Conference Player of the Year . . . Athlon's, Blue Ribbon College Yearbook, Phil Steele's Preseason First Team All-Sun Belt Conference . . . Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award Watch List . . . Manning Award Watch List . . . Walter Camp Watch List."

Any game against a Group of 5 team can be a trap game because the team doesn't get up for it. That was the only point I was making. And I left the rest of your post out because I wasn't arguing against any of it. I didn't mention Arkansas State because I know Gus inherited a good team.

But the suggestion that Bill Clark would make a better coach at Auburn than Malzahn when Clark has never even been an assistant in the Power 5 (where Malzahn won a Broyles Award, remember) is pushing it. I don't know that you've been making that point, but there are those who have, and that's where my problem lies.

Archived