2019 Recruiting Thread

Zeek

26 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

I think it’s an indictment of our trust issues. We consistently underutilize backups. Gus finds dudes he trusts and rides with them, hell or high water. That’s not just at RB. 

I think we’ll see this year that we have talent at RB. Our fans act like we haven’t signed anyone in years. I think that’s wrong. I think Asa is going to be good. I think Kam will be good. We’ll be okay at RB. 

Basically how I feel too.

Not sure any of us can really speak to the (potential) abilities of each RB on the roster. ....we haven't really seen any of them on a basis that can be judged.  However, they were all reasonably highly rated coming in and I assume Horton is still supposed to be a good coach (right?).

Auburn has had successful RB's of all body types and sizes over the years.  To reiterate a statement I made a few posts ago, it very well could be that the best thing to happen to the Auburn running game could be the generosity of UTx to be so kind as "steal" Herb Hand away.

Personally, I suspect that Gus (errr Chip) will be able to play several of the current backs this year with great success due to the OL (I happen to believe in Grimes as a coach, if not recruiter). 

The key/wildcard is.... #butgus

Consider my fingers crossed.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

it's more about the carries our RB1s get in the biggest & toughest games, which also have the most wear & tear on RBs.

Finally!

Image result for nail meet hammer

9 hours ago, ellitor said:

Not sure why my phone put No S*** at the end of this post. Apparently it has an opinion too. Removed the foul language.

Yeah right you ain't slick E!!!!!! 

IMG_1339.GIF

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

All I can say is (1) Kam Martin better buckle his chin strap and get ready to be famous and (2) we're going to be okay in RB recruiting. If you're big and slow, we'll make it work. If you're small and fast, we'll make it work. If you're top-level talent, we'll make it work.

If Malik Miller becomes RB1 and a stud for us, I'll agree with you on this one, but I feel it's a prime reason Miller hasn't seen a significant snap in the many years he has been here. 

8 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

Find me a single season where Gus failed to have a very, very good running game, regardless of what type of running back was the feature guy, and I'll find you Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. The system has never failed.

I'm not at all saying the system failed, but I will say 2015 was not a "very very good running game." Peyton Barber gave it all he had, but barely eclipsed the 1,000 yard mark in an offense designed to create 1,000 yard rushers. If he was "very very good" that season, he would of 1300+ yards. I just give that number because it's roughly what KJ did last season, and I would definitely call last season a very very good running game. But yeah... 2015. I'll await my Santa Claus and Easter Bunny. The system didn't fail in 2015, it's the ONLY reason we had a 1000 yard running back that season, but under no circumstances was 2015 a very good running game. 

7 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

And for further comparison, Sony Michel had 526 carries over the last three years. More than Kerryon (518 carries). He must be pretty pissed at how UGA ran him into the ground during his career. ? It's a narrative for negative recruiting. Nothing more.

I couldn't agree more. However it gets tiring hearing excuses for why we can't sign more truly elite talents, especially at RB. Previously it was Gus being on the hot seat. Now it's we run our RB1 into the ground. We need to find a way to counteract that stuff. 

14 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

The overuse of a RB is not only about the amount of carries in a season but also about having a game plan and team rely solely on the shoulders of one guy.  Ride or die with KJ.  In the end we got less with more of KJ instead of more with less of KJ.  

E, I stated this earlier in the threads but they are like Ray Charles meets no comprende.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

One note on negative recruiting: it seems to always start with an angle. Gus's job situation really was a bit tenuous last season until November. We really don't have a complete passing game. KJ really did say what he said, and Horton backed that up, and you really aren't going to carry the ball much at Auburn unless you are RB1 or RB1 goes down. Despite being awesome and beautiful and very appealing in its own way, Auburn really is a lot quieter and less "happening" than some other SEC towns. 

Negative recruiting will exaggerate and distort the truth, for sure. But they don't just pull stuff out of thin air.

• Like 3

Current SEC teams by rushing yards (last 10 years): 1. @AlabamaFTBL: 29,696 2. @AuburnFootball: 29,588 3. @LSUfootball: 25,429 4. @FootballUGA: 25,148 5. @HailStateFB: 24,515 6. @MizzouFootball: 22,828 7. @AggieFootball: 22,667 8. @GatorsFB: 21,975 9. @OleMissFB: 21,397

2 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

E, I stated this earlier in the threads but they are like Ray Charles meets no comprende.

You know we agree on this topic more often than not. We both agree our RB recruiting should’ve been better. This year we went into the season with less than a full compliment of quality RBs. However, Miller, and Barrett weren’t quality enough (yet) to play more meaningful minutes. Martin can play meaningful minutes as a situational player with known pass blocking deficiencies. That was about it. 

What I would love to know from others on this site:

-Would a full offensive staff not know the limitations of their backs and know which backs are capable of contributing? Somewhat relevant to the question, is our 49 million dollar coach worth his sauce? 

- Why would Gus hold Martin back against Clemson? Martin could’ve gained valuable pass blocking experience against bigger and badder players which could’ve paid dividends down the road. 

-Why did Gus hate Kerryon so much that he rode him into the ground and into the third round of the NFL draft? 

Lastly, is it possible that WE ALL don’t know all of tbe answers and the reasonings for why Gus does what he does? 

I was tired of this topic until yesterday. Finally!! Something that is entertaining until football season (which starts tomorrow for me.)

20 hours ago, corchjay said:

What???  Haven’t all our “starters” the past few years made it to the league except Bubba?  His issue wasn’t just lack of talent for the NFL but his head was to far up his tail.

The rest have gone on to be on NFL rosters. What they do when they get there is up to them.

You are correct - 

What I am saying (or trying to say) is that other teams are telling recruits our backs are getting to the end of their college career without Auburn developing them for the NFL.   Thus we just 'use them up' without regard for life after Auburn.   And thusly they are getting to the NFL basically in spite of Auburn.  

That's all....I didn't mean to portray none of our backs get to the NFL.  

I think we are all just angry that it is so easy for the flagship "state schools" to get elite, 5* backs basically b/c how our coaching staff uses RB1 and "doesn't trust RB2 or RB3".   And we all gnash our teeth when we reflect on the history of Auburn backs.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I think we are all just angry that it is so easy for the flagship "state schools"

This has a lot to do with it for me. My perception is heavily colored by what our rivals are doing. 

Think about this: twice already this decade, 2 of our top 3 conference and even divisional rivals have played in the national title game. And our main, in-state rival played in both of them, even once after we beat them. And they've played in several more besides.

And when our main rival *finally* falls off in recruiting just a little bit- while still finishing well ahead of us- our 2nd main rival jumps right up to the top with an almost historically good class. And neither of them are showing any signs of slowing down.

Does this give me an inaccurate read on how good we're actually doing? Probably. But do we have any choice but to compare ourselves to the two most important teams on our schedule every season? Damn, it's hard not to. 

• Like 2

• ellitor changed the title to 2019 Recruiting Thread

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming

Auburn exceeds expectations for 4-star Virginia CB Cam'Ron Kelly

Cam'Ron Kelly had been in contact with Auburn's coaching staff for some time, but he wanted to see how things would go in person.

During his first visit to the Plains, Kelly got to see the inner workings of Auburn's football program, learn about the school's academic offerings and spend time with the coaches.

"I always wanted to come down to visit Auburn. It's a very special place. I love the culture. I love the coaches. I love everything about it," said Kelly, a four-star cornerback recruit out of Chesapeake, Va. "All my expectations were met and even more so. It was a pretty amazing opportunity to come down here, meet all the coaches. They're pumped up that I was here. Very excited to be down here for sure."

The 6-foot-1, 190-pound Kelly has already taken four of his official visits to Washington State, Oklahoma, Penn State and Virginia. He's still deciding where to take his last and Auburn is "definitely in the high running" for it along with Georgia, Notre Dame and Virginia Tech.

One thing that clearly stood out to Kelly was Auburn safeties coach Greg Brown's history of coaching three Jim Thorpe Award winners.

"If you want to come win a Jim Thorpe Award this is the place to be," Kelly said. "I mean, you go in the ACC and you can have the same stats as a dude from Auburn and you're up in the running against an SEC West team. You already know who the award's going to."

Kelly, who is on track to be a mid-year enrollee, said he plans to visit Auburn for a game this season and will make his decision in October, likely around his birthday.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

I hope we are all over Harry Miller & Steele Chambers with the Urban Meyer news today

Haven't heard either name since their initial offers so I guess there is a possibility, may be remote though.

5 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

I hope we are all over Harry Miller & Steele Chambers with the Urban Meyer news today

Yeah, Miller is from Buford (?) and is a Center. Someone needs to be on the phone tonight.

That place is going to turn into a circus and hopefully a dumpster fire.  That's how we got Kam Martin and J Stidham ala Baylor's dumpster fire.

Edited by Beaker

No way we could get Master Teague I doubt.    Unless he wanted to sit out a year....stranger things could happen and their roster is pretty full of RBs I read.

57 minutes ago, Beaker said:

No way we could get Master Teague I doubt.    Unless he wanted to sit out a year....stranger things could happen and their roster is pretty full of RBs I read.

He’d have to pay his own way for a semester also. We can’t add any new scholarship players until January at the earliest. I’m sure there are a few other quality programs who haven’t enrolled 25 new scholarship players yet for 2018  that could add him. 

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 3:34 PM, McLoofus said:

if Gus's system is so great for the RBs' pro careers, how come he's only had 3 guys go in the top 3 rounds in 8 years as OC or HC?

Could be talent, that's what the pro's want is talent. Seems that's what this whole debate is all about, the fact that we can't seem to land the 5 star RB's. And I'm with everyone else it really makes me mad that we can't, while uga and the turds haul them in with ease. I'm starting to think we need new blood at the RB coaching position.

• Like 3

We’re in an odd position. I only see about 5 of these guys actually committing and that would leave us with some decent number of spots available.

Might we be looking at some Graduate Transfers or are we going to try and roll back spots to 2020?

Sorry that I have been inactive lately. Funny enough I’m more busy in the summer than I am in the school year. War Eagle!

1. Noah Cain / RB

2. Jadon Haselwood / WR

3. Jalen Curry / WR

4. Derick Hall / LB

5. Nehemiah Pritchett / CB

6. Zion Puckett / ATH

7. Colby Wooden / DE

8. Nakobe Dean / LB (highly unlikely)

15 minutes ago, kd4au said:

Could be talent, that's what the pro's want is talent. Seems that's what this whole debate is all about, the fact that we can't seem to land the 5 star RB's. And I'm with everyone else it really makes me mad that we can't, while uga and the turds haul them in with ease. I'm starting to think we need new blood at the RB coaching position.

UAT and UGA both have two 5 Star QBs as well, so it is not just RBs. Early commitments for the 2020 class are highly rated. Hopefully we can build on that momentum and keep them all. 

• Like 1