2019 Recruiting Thread

Zeek

24 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

If it helps to look at it in a more forgiving way, and further to some others' comments, negative recruiting will exist no matter what Auburn does, and Auburn will never be perfect. So no matter what we do, they will find an angle.

If you would like to nominate some other failing- real or perceived- for them to use against us in this recruiting cycle, go for it. Until then, just believe that this is one they're hammering right now, and look at the fact that we whiffed on Master Teague last year and we have very little interest from top backs this year as evidence. 

Man, I wish you guys would stop bringing up Teague. It brings a tear to my eye every time, especially with Urb's evolving downfall

19 minutes ago, fredst said:

Man, I wish you guys would stop bringing up Teague. It brings a tear to my eye every time, especially with Urb's evolving downfall

There may be a happy ending to this story yet...

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

Again. No it’s not hypothetical. The details to which the negative recruiting is happening is not new either.  WDE, golf, and bird among others have Great connections and have  given us details to how we are being negatively  recruited for years when it happened. The detail to which in this case the running back situation is nothing new. Last year we were being hammered because of Gus’s security and likelihood of not coming back before the big Georgia and Bama wins along with the running back stuff.  Since they can’t hammer Gus hard now on the stability factor they are hitting is harder on the way we use our backs. You’re either going to have to except and trust their connections and info  plus come to grips  with the reality the general recruiting world is not going to report on this publicly  in great detail  other than to say negative recruiting happens. Or choose not to except it. Regardless you’re not gonna see it reported in detail

This answer is what I was looking for, that there are people with first hand knowledge this is going on. I don’t know who has real connections on the board until now! If you say they are trustworthy sources then I will be good with that. It was such a specific thing about rbs that I thought there might be information on it that was public. I wasn’t trying to disrespect anyone! Thanks ? 

Edited by toddc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

look at the fact that we whiffed on Master Teague last year Our true top targets every year since we landed KJ & Jovon and we have very little interest from top backs this year as evidence. 

FIFY

• Like 2

You know if the reigning Mr. football in the State of Alabama read all this he would think Auburn fans think he is second rate. Amazing!

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, toddc said:

This answer is what I was looking for, that there are people with first hand knowledge this is going on. I don’t know who has real connections on the board until now! If you say they are trustworthy sources then I will be good with that. It was such a specific thing about rbs that I thought there might be information on it that was public. I wasn’t trying to disrespect anyone! Thanks ? 

Oh! The ribs injury was reported by an AU reporter, I think it was Phillip, but it was in a VIP article so I don't think it was discussed much late last year on this board. That injury was corroborated by even better sources than Phillip though FWIW.

As for the trustworthy sources part Golf & Bird would cough **** **** to each other.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, auol72 said:

You know if the reigning Mr. football in the State of Alabama read all this he would think Auburn fans think he is second rate. Amazing!

Didn't say or imply he's second rate. Just saying Teague, Zamir, Lingard, & James Cook were all higher on the staff's board.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

There may be a happy ending to this story yet...

I guess in terms of Teague at AU it's possible although unlikely.

5 minutes ago, auol72 said:

What about Shivers? 

As E said, it's not about what the fans think. I personally am extremely excited about Martin and Shivers. It's about who the coaches are prioritizing vs. who they're actually getting. We are hitting on our top targets at numerous other positions, but it hasn't happened at our supposed bread and butter position the last couple years and it's nothing but crickets so far this cycle. It's worth asking why. 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It's worth asking why. 

Not anymore. We beat that horse so far down the ground he popped up in China. (May have to know Looney Tunes to get the reference.)

Edited by ellitor

44 minutes ago, auol72 said:

How many Mr. Footballs have we had that actually panned out?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

On 7/30/2018 at 8:16 AM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

So comments made by the SEC Offensive Player of the Year shouldn't have any effect on recruiting? Had and is having huge ramifications. Other schools are just hammering this to recruits. 

I would really like to see  this article. Anyone have it?

On 8/2/2018 at 11:52 PM, Mikey said:

Other schools are always using something against us. Last season it was some other BS, next year it will be yet another BS, this year it's the "running in the ground" BS. If our recruiters can't combat negative recruiting, they've got the wrong job.

I agree ? 

• Thanks 1

On 7/30/2018 at 3:51 PM, GwillMac6 said:

Wanya and Booth ended up replicating the same script. We got the lead but we did NOT FINISH THE DRILL and close. Both schools got them on campus before they committed and they both never came back to campus like they were supposed to before they committed. BUT REMAIN CALM AU FANS!! ALL IS WELL!!! Thank goodness a guy who has not played QB in 6 years is riding in to save the day to help us get over the sting on losing out on a elite corner that we led as recently as big cat for......... 

zo.gif

I heard that Booth went to the AU Family message board while on his visit and got all bogged down due to GIFs and decided that the University of Auburn was not the place for him! That's third hand info, so take it for what it's worth. Hee!

• Haha 4

26 minutes ago, Grumps said:

I heard that Booth went to the AU Family message board while on his visit and got all bogged down due to GIFs and decided that the University of Auburn was not the place for him! That's third hand info, so take it for what it's worth. Hee!

Now that's funny, I don't care who you are....

• Love 1

Wasn’t Cadillac the Alabama Mr. Football as well? Who was the last one that signed here and didn’t pan out?

6 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

Wasn’t Cadillac the Alabama Mr. Football as well? Who was the last one that signed here and didn’t pan out?

2013 Roc Thomas and 2012 Jeremy Johnson

5 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

Roc Thomas. Jeremy Johnson immediately before him. Clint Mosely in 2008. 

We had a good run from '98-'01 with DeMarco McNeil, Caddy and Brandon Cox.

Before that it was Lectron Williams in '88 and then Freddie Weygand in '83. 

• Thanks 1

Never mind. I looked it up. That's a weird list. I'm going to exclude the Mr. Football winners that signed outside the Power 5. Here are the winners for the last 20 years.

DeMarco McNeil (1998) - Auburn - stud
Cadillac Williams (2000) - Auburn - stud
Brandon Cox (2001) - Auburn - stud
JaMarcus Russell (2002) - LSU - stud
Chris Nickson (2003) - Vanderbilt - Honestly, I had to look him up. Started one season and won four games. Let's call it a dud.
Andre Smith (2005) - Bama - stud
Larry Smith (2006) - Vandy - Looked this one up too... dud
Julio Jones (2007) - Bama - stud
Clint Moseley!?!? (2008) - Auburn - dud
Jamal Golden (2010) - Georgia Tech - two-year starter at Tech... this is a tweener; not a stud, not a dud
TJ Yeldon (2011) - Bama - stud
Jeremy Johnson (2012) - Auburn - the most surprising dud on the list
Roc Thomas (2013) - Auburn - dud for Auburn
Kerryon Johnson (2014) - Auburn - stud
La'damian Webb (2016) - MSU - TBD
Asa Martin (2017) - Auburn - TBD

On the whole, you'd have to look at the list and say Martin has good odds of achieving stud status at Auburn. 16 SEC/ACC signees:  8 studs, 5 duds, 1 tweener, and 2 TBD. Looking at Bama/Auburn signees only, there are 11 signees:  7 studs, 3 duds, and 1 TBD. Looks like JJ6 and Roc were less common than Kerryon Johnson.

Edited by mcgufcm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, au_bsci_04 said:

Seeing that we might be getting back involved in the Devin Bush recruitment.

I will check but not sure we are getting back involved with DB. Keith hasn't tagged him in an article in 3 & a half months.

Edited by ellitor