2019 Recruiting Thread

Zeek

10 hours ago, abw0004 said:

One point I would like to make to the group as a whole is look how far we have already come in our recruiting.  It wasn’t that long ago that we were saying that Auburn couldn’t recruit quarterbacks because “we never throw the ball.”  This year and next year we will have four talented quarterbacks.  Same thing for receivers, that we aren’t skilled enough to help receivers, so none of them want to come here.  Now we are building quality depth with a shot at stealing away a 5* receiver from UGA.  When is the last time we had a shot of Auburn stealing a 5* WR?  This time next year we could look back and have the same scenarios with other positions.  This isn’t doom and gloom ladies and gentlemen.

Most importantly, a successful season would sway more 2019 prospects our way and that recruiting pitch starts in 33 days...

I generally agree with you. But the UAT machine ain’t slowing down and UGA is recruiting in a dominant way. In 3 recruiting cycles, Kirby has signed/got committed 14 Five Star ballplayers. During that same time span, we’ve signed/got committed a total of 3. Even if you’re not a stargazer,  falling behind at a 14-3 clip to UGA for elite talent isn’t optimal.  It cries out for better results from our staff in my opinion. So while we agree that it ain’t all gloom and doom, our coaches need to step it up. 

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

CO SIGN! We seem to be really bad at these "strategically" placed visits. It has bit us in the rear on 2 elite prospects this class.

And a number of others in previous classes.

Edited by ellitor
Took No S*** out.
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Luckily we are becoming stacked in quarterbacks that are talented enough to allow receivers to make plays and have a shot at realizing their NFL dreams.  It should become enticing enough to retain talent.  

Stacked only if they develop which is not a given.

• Thanks 1

One point I would like to make to the group as a whole is look how far we have already come in our recruiting.  It wasn’t that long ago that we were saying that Auburn couldn’t recruit quarterbacks because “we never throw the ball.”  This year and next year we will have four talented quarterbacks.  Same thing for receivers, that we aren’t skilled enough to help receivers, so none of them want to come here.  Now we are building quality depth with a shot at stealing away a 5* receiver from UGA.  When is the last time we had a shot of Auburn stealing a 5* WR?  This time next year we could look back and have the same scenarios with other positions.  This isn’t doom and gloom ladies and gentlemen.

Recruiting hasn't been a problem for the most part. Player development has.

Most importantly, a successful season would sway more 2019 prospects our way

Barring winning huge & making a playoff run to give Gus's resume some consistency, no it won't. The relationships our coaches develop with this year's recruits are going to have to win our battles in recruiting, as is the case for every SR class barring a coaching change.

I know it's an illogical concept to some but that's just how it is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

I would probably rate him an 86 on the 247 type scale.  About as good a 3 star back as you could wish for.

89 is the highest 3* on the 247 ratings scale FTR.

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

lacks speed to pull away from SEC DBs.

How often does that opportunity exist in SEC games for a RB? Very rarely. This is the most over hyped, under actual used criteria at the RB position at most big time levels. I would rather have RBs quicker in 10-15 yards relative to competition than the 40.

Thanks for the overall assessment though.

30 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

It cries out for a new sense of urgency from our staff in my opinion

I hate to burst your opinion but the staff has been as urgent as they possibly could be this cycle. It's been documented numerous times in reports.

9 minutes ago, ellitor said:

How often does that opportunity exist in SEC games for a RB? Very rarely. This is the most over hyped, under actual used criteria at the RB position at most big time levels. I would rather have RBs quicker in 10-15 yards relative to competition than the 40.

KJ had a lot of runs that made it to the 2nd level and very few made it to the endzone. IMO, Breakaway speed is a defining characteristic of great backs. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, bigbird said:

KJ had a lot of runs that made it to the 2nd level and very few made it to the endzone. IMO, Breakaway speed is a defining characteristic of great backs. 

Been a missing element for AU since Tre Mason at the RB position.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Agreed.  Granted we’ve had success with both types.  It’s like do you want Rudy or Bo?  Both very successful for AU.  

• Like 1

The biggest issue in recruiting for me is people don’t realize how great 3 star players are at the high school level.  They generally are by far the most talented player on the field.

• Like 2

Also that breakaway to the house speed helps from having to rely on red zone fgs out the Yazoo.. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, ellitor said:

How often does that opportunity exist in SEC games for a RB? 

For those with average SEC RB speed, rarely. For those with next level speed, the HR threat speed is a weapon, and puts an increased urgency on correct pursuit, tackling numbers, and making clean tackles.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, corchjay said:

The biggest issue in recruiting for me is people don’t realize how great 3 star players are at the high school level.  They generally are by far the most talented player on the field.

It’s all relative. Three stars make all state teams in HS. On the next level, three stars cannot rely on their talent alone as others are just as talented.

14 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

For those with average SEC RB speed, rarely. For those with next level speed, the HR threat speed is a weapon, and puts an increased urgency on correct pursuit, tackling numbers, and making clean tackles.

This times 1000.

For SEC backs you better have elite ability to break tackles and 1-cut ability to find holes quickly or as I term it... sudden.  Or have shake and be able to House it anywhere on the field.  

And if you get a combo of both power and speed then watch out if they have vision to go along with it.  Super Elite!

• Like 2

But for me to get us back on track.  For AU I would pass on Tahj.  However his hands out of the backfield is intriguing. Going off high light tapes are tough.  Would love to see full game tapes to really analyze deeper.  

10 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

So how about Tye Edwards then @corchjay

Pettway 2.0.  Big back better then his rating.  I’ll try to get a Top 5-10 available in my opinion.  But will already throw out there I like Anthony-Richards a lot and K. Glass out of Texas a lot.  They aren’t the elite of the elite but are damn good backs.  D. Brown isn’t bad either we just 2 young backs similar in Boobie and Asa.  

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

I hate to burst your opinion but the staff has been as urgent as they possibly could be this cycle. It's been documented numerous times in reports.

You’re right. The effort is there. I edited my post and replaced sense of urgency with getting better results. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I generally agree with you. But the UAT machine ain’t slowing down and UGA is recruiting in a dominant way. In 3 recruiting cycles, Kirby has signed/got committed 14 Five Star ballplayers. During that same time span, we’ve signed/got committed a total of 3. Even if you’re not a stargazer,  falling behind at a 14-3 clip to UGA for elite talent isn’t optimal.  It cries out for better results from our staff in my opinion. So while we agree that it ain’t all gloom and doom, our coaches need to step it up. 

I agree with what you say also, but it complicates efforts when we are smack dab in the middle of both of those teams.  It has always been that way.  Auburn is having to fight with Alabama and Georgia for the same recruits in the same territories without much breathing room.  In the state of Georgia, recruits are naturally pressured to only go to Georgia.  Just look at the pressure Pappoe is facing.  In the state of Alabama, the majority of kids are pressured to play for Alabama.  Not always the case of course, but I would say our path to signing kids is significantly more difficult than most.  Tennessee is always in the background as well.  This is why I really applaud the coaches for going after Mississippi guys as I believe those are not as hotly contested but just as talented (in this cycle at least) as the in-state programs historically are not contending programs.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bigbird said:

How often did have that opportunity in SEC games against quality SEC defenses? Not many.

Also the 10 to 15 yard burst is what  gets them to the second level.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, ellitor said:

How often did have that opportunity in SEC games against quality SEC defenses? Not many.

One person that came to mind for me was Peyton Barber.  Not a lot of top-end speed, but had the bursts and ran hard every play.  Gave the most effort on the field for us in 2015.

I have come to a decision that I thought I would share with everyone. I have decided that instead of being positive about our program I am going to be obnoxiously pessimistic about our team and program like so many on this board. It has to be more fun since so many are doing it. So let me start by saying now that we got Cord I think we will have a QB controversy and lose at least one if not two QB's. Since he is more of a running (option QB) I think we lose George because why would he come to a school that doesn't throw a lot. Since we can't get any good RB's we will probably lose at least four games this year which will start the drum beat to fire Gus again. When that happens we won't be able to get anyone during recruiting and the program will go down fast. Our Athletic department won't be able to hire a decent coach so we may be down as many as 10 years before we get some miracle player and do good once then go back down.  Whew that was fun I do feel better. Thanks!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Facepalm 2

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Conversely, how many could have been if he had better speed?

• Like 1

Right, and top end speed is what turns the 15 yard bursts into 40+ yard big plays. 

No matter how many times that you ask this, the answer is still rarely if the said player doesn’t have top end speed. 

• Like 1