2019 Recruiting Thread

Zeek

11 minutes ago, Roos said:

Please tell me we have more opportunities than the 7 above???

We definitely have back up plans and are working on some flips. Tremendous amounts of time left.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

We’re in an odd position. I only see about 5 of these guys actually committing and that would leave us with some decent number of spots available.

Might we be looking at some Graduate Transfers or are we going to try and roll back spots to 2020?

Sorry that I have been inactive lately. Funny enough I’m more busy in the summer than I am in the school year. War Eagle!

1. Noah Cain / RB

2. Jadon Haselwood / WR

3. Jalen Curry / WR

4. Derick Hall / LB

5. Nehemiah Pritchett / CB

6. Zion Puckett / ATH

7. Colby Wooden / DE

8. Nakobe Dean / LB (highly unlikely)

I's not about who we look likely to land  in the middle of Summer as it is the staff's plan at each position which is covered in the OP. We have 14 now counting the transfer Safety Handy Holly going on scholly next year. From there we will add 1 RB & WR, 1-2 OL (1 could be a GT) & LB, 3 DL (Hall is a Buck not LB for us remember), & 2-3 DBs. At most that leaves only 1 open spot for best available & could easily be 0. No we aren't looking to roll back any spots. Recruits will emerge in their SR years as they always do.

Oh & you forgot a couple things. WDE says we now lead for Diabate @ LB &  Keith somewhat backed that up by saying we have made up ground. Also 3* DT LaDarrius Cox who seems likely to be flipped by AU from the Vols. The only real ? left is at the 1 or 2 OL spots.

Edited by ellitor

52 minutes ago, Roos said:

Please tell me we have more opportunities than the 7 above???

We do & or will. No recruiting class is ever finished before the season starts.

• Thanks 1

We started this cycle faster than any in a while with more and better recruits. One stud qb and one stud lb along with lots of 4 stars after that and every verbal we’ve gotten fills a need! We have started 2020 off with 4 4*s earlier than in years past. We have lots of great players still high on us in places of need and it’s just August 1st. We almost always find some players we haven’t heard about yet before signing day. I can’t see why some are saying the sky is falling at Auburn in recruiting. It’s rediculous!!!!! Chillax man!! Enjoying the process myself!

cbrown doing great 

coach twill doing great 

coach garner doing great

qb sich looks awesome 

cody Burns bringing recievers

porter doing great on te class

etc..................!!!!!!

rb will come even if juco need be 

olts will come even if grad Tran needed

• Like 1

This is a legitimate question from me that maybe @ellitor or @WarDamnEagleWDE can only answer:  When it comes to recruiting for running back I know we are dealing with KJ's comments and our tenancy to only use one running back.  Outside of that do you feel like a lot of this falls on Coach Horton?  From what I have seen from insiders is he really stopped recruiting hard for guys and it is known that for years he has been trying to get a head coaching job.  I know getting Asa was really not his doing, that other coaches had to step in to seal the deal.  Do you feel like his mindset is away from Auburn with him always looking for a head coaching job?  I am starting to get the impression he is using his Auburn coaching job as a placeholder until he can find that job he so highly covets.  I sure hope I am wrong as I like Horton, but we need him to be fully invested here as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

This is a legitimate question from me that maybe @ellitor or @WarDamnEagleWDE can only answer:  When it comes to recruiting for running back I know we are dealing with KJ's comments and our tenancy to only use one running back.  Outside of that do you feel like a lot of this falls on Coach Horton?  From what I have seen from insiders is he really stopped recruiting hard for guys and it is known that for years he has been trying to get a head coaching job.  I know getting Asa was really not his doing, that other coaches had to step in to seal the deal.  Do you feel like his mindset is away from Auburn with him always looking for a head coaching job?  I am starting to get the impression he is using his Auburn coaching job as a placeholder until he can find that job he so highly covets.  I sure hope I am wrong as I like Horton, but we need him to be fully invested here as well.

I haven’t seen or heard anything about him not recruiting hard. Yes he has been unimpressive on the trail for the most part lately but I still put it on Gus’s use and stubbornness with his running backs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I haven’t seen or heard anything about him not recruiting hard. Yes he has been unimpressive on the trail for the most part lately but I still put it on Gus’s use and stubbornness with his running backs.

I have been feeling some anti-Horton sentiments myself lately, but I read that a 2020 RB said some great things about him so maybe the fire is still there. 

• Like 1

I know this is way early, but has anyone looked at the juco RBs from last year for our next class?  

I know there will be a couple that will emerge this season, I said it is early....maybe we find a stud who will be one and done.

Maybe we were recruiting someone who had to go the juco route?

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

No offense to CTH. I appreciate everything he's done in his tenure at AU. However I hope he finds another place he likes so we can move Porter to RB coach. I think he's the shot in the arm we need at RB recruiting & may be better equipped to combat the negative recruiting we are getting on the trail.

Well and respectfully stated. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I know this is way early, but has anyone looked at the juco RBs from last year for our next class?   

I'm confused on the wording. Are you asking about the 2019 or 2020 class?

16 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Maybe we were recruiting someone who had to go the juco route?

Alaric Williams but we moved on when he didn't qualify in HS.

So guys. I've decided to move threads on players committed to other schools to the rivals recruiting section unless we know AU is heavily involved. It's easy enough to move threads back if needed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Beaker said:

E - talking 2019 class...

Possible but haven't heard anything. With 7 RBs on roster & only 1 being an upperclassman I think it's unlikely unless some guys leave.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

So guys. I've decided to move threads on players committed to other schools to the rivals recruiting section unless we know AU is heavily involved. It's easy enough to move threads back if needed.

How about a thread titled: RB Recruiting and how we can't get 5* RBs; or just rename NC's thread to that.  :)  Just kidding...  Though it would be nice to come here and see a thread about a player have new content and that content actually be regarding that player and not some endless debate....

8 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

How about a thread titled: RB Recruiting and how we can't get 5* RBs; or just rename NC's thread to that.  :)  Just kidding...  Though it would be nice to come here and see a thread about a player have new content and that content actually be regarding that player and not some endless debate....

Or endless gifs! “Graphics interrupting football”

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

The RB discussion has permeated too many thread to even try to organize it into 1 thread.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, ellitor said:

I still put it on Gus’s use and stubbornness with his running backs.

This is 100% correct. Other schools are using it against us. One of the main reasons I think you will see us change that this year in the field. 

4 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

This is 100% correct. Other schools are using it against us. One of the main reasons I think you will see us change that this year in the field. 

Does anyone have links to show me where other teams are using our rb situation against us? Maybe some quotes or Twitter talk. I haven’t seen anything about this except on this opinion board. I would love to read what y’all are reading on this topic because it’s taking over the board lately! Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by toddc
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, toddc said:

Does anyone have links to show me where other teams are using our rb situation against us? Maybe some quotes or Twitter talk. I haven’t seen anything about this except on this opinion board. I would love to read what y’all are reading on this topic because it’s taking over the board lately! Thanks in advance for your help.

It’s not something you’re going to read somewhere  or be reported on . We’re lucky to get it from someone like WDE who has real world, recruiting connections for Auburn.

19 minutes ago, toddc said:

No sorry just have to trust me/others that it is happening. Negative recruiting has been going on since college football began and the uga's, turd's, uf's, ut's, lsu's of the world is using it against Gus. It is what it is I've been dealing with this crap forever. 

10 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

No sorry just have to trust me/others that it is happening. Negative recruiting has been going on since college football began and the uga's, turd's, uf's, ut's, lsu's of the world is using it against Gus. It is what it is I've been dealing with this crap forever. 

I understand it happens in general, but most people on here are very specific in their use of our “running backs in the ground”  etc...!! So it’s just hypothetical and conjecture on this board that this is what they’re doing?

Edited by toddc

2 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Other schools are always using something against us. Last season it was some other BS, next year it will be yet another BS, this year it's the "running in the ground" BS. If our recruiters can't combat negative recruiting, they've got the wrong job.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, toddc said:

I understand it happens in general, but most people on here are very specific in their use of our “running backs in the ground”  etc...!! So it’s just hypothetical and conjecture on this board that this is what they’re doing?

Again. No it’s not hypothetical. The details to which the negative recruiting is happening is not new either.  WDE, golf, and bird among others have Great connections and have  given us details to how we are being negatively  recruited for years when it happened. The detail to which in this case the running back situation is nothing new. Last year we were being hammered because of Gus’s security and likelihood of not coming back before the big Georgia and Bama wins along with the running back stuff.  Since they can’t hammer Gus hard now on the stability factor they are hitting is harder on the way we use our backs. You’re either going to have to except and trust their connections and info  plus come to grips  with the reality the general recruiting world is not going to report on this publicly  in great detail  other than to say negative recruiting happens. Or choose not to except it. Regardless you’re not gonna see it reported in detail

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, toddc said:

If it helps to look at it in a more forgiving way, and further to some others' comments, negative recruiting will exist no matter what Auburn does, and Auburn will never be perfect. So no matter what we do, they will find an angle.

If you would like to nominate some other failing- real or perceived- for them to use against us in this recruiting cycle, go for it. Until then, just believe that this is one they're hammering right now, and look at the fact that we whiffed on Master Teague last year and we have very little interest from top backs this year as evidence.