2019 Recruiting Thread

Zeek

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

I guess I missed his comments.  Do you have a link so I may read what KJ said?

I don't. I do believe there is a thread on the football board. Pretty much said that Gus ran him into the ground last year and that is why he didn't return. Not his exact words by it came off that way. 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

they each get 850-900 yards a season while RB#3 is getting 700 yards as well.

Would be shocked Gus ever lets that happen even if he was getting UGA RB classes.

Edited by ellitor

Just now, ellitor said:

Would be shocked Gus ever lets that happen even if he was getting UGA RB classes.

Well you are probably correct.  Tough morning on here and the board needs your level head.  I respect it even though we think differently.  I just can't get over the RB thing with Emery now going to UGA.  It is chew, rinse, spit and repeat.  They need to be on some studs for 2020 now at the RB and OT position.  This year is officially a swing and a miss.  I understand OT with Grimes but for the love can we please have elite backs give us a look.

7 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Well you are probably correct.  Tough morning on here and the board needs your level head.  I respect it even though we think differently.  I just can't get over the RB thing with Emery now going to UGA.  It is chew, rinse, spit and repeat.  They need to be on some studs for 2020 now at the RB and OT position.  This year is officially a swing and a miss.  I understand OT with Grimes but for the love can we please have elite backs give us a look.

Since your posts have nothing to do with Kennedy or LB recruiting they are being moved to the Recruiting thread.

12 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

for the love can we please have elite backs give us a look.

Been discussed to death & WDE hammered it home today. KJ's comment about how no RB at the college or pro level should be used as much as he was is hurting us with RB recruiting. No point to continue to say over, over, & over again about not getting an elite RB. It is what it is & we are stuck with it for now.

Just now, corchjay said:

Asa Martin is/was considered elite just last year.  People need to calm down.  Geez.

By 1 site. Overall on the composite not elite.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Why? I think it's unfair to say shows absolutely no willingness to adapt and adjust. He's surrounded himself with incredible assistants who've done a really good job.  On topof which, he has the unenviable task of recruiting right between two state universities in UGA and UAT and has recruited better than any coach in AU history, hands-down. Add to that the fact that we basically play those two schools back-to-back now, and I'd say he's not done too shabby.

1 minute ago, War to the Eagle said:

Why? I think it's unfair to say shows absolutely no willingness to adapt and adjust. He's surrounded himself with incredible assistants who've done a really good job.  On topof which, he has the unenviable task of recruiting right between two state universities in UGA and UAT and has recruited better than any coach in AU history, hands-down. Add to that the fact that we basically play those two schools back-to-back now, and I'd say he's not done too shabby.

Look at games where he has been OC or head coach at Auburn and he's had 2 or more healthy RBs available. How many times have 2 of them gotten 10 or more carries? In the 2nd-most recent Auburn game, Kam Martin- who is currently atop the depth chart at RB- was perfectly healthy and got 4 carries while we watched a 1-armed Kerryon Johnson struggle and then ultimately seal the loss with a fumble. 

I mean, most of what you say is accurate, but it's not really in response to what E said. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

So comments made by the SEC Offensive Player of the Year shouldn't have any effect on recruiting? Had and is having huge ramifications. Other schools are just hammering this to recruits. 

Then we need to hammer back. We talk as if other schools don’t have weaknesses we can discuss with recruits. We should be hammering our string of 1000 yard rushers and the fact that we just had and SEC POY at the position. It’s all about how you sell it. 

• Like 1

Football season cannot get here quick enough.  People's emotions on recruiting are like a roller coaster.  Everyone now thinks the world is ending after last week thinking we were the top dog.  Winning in football will fix all of this anxiety.  33 days...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

So comments made by the SEC Offensive Player of the Year shouldn't have any effect on recruiting? Had and is having huge ramifications. Other schools are just hammering this to recruits. 

That comment by him if true is weak.   By not working him that hard he would not have earned SEC Offensive Player of the year., nor increased his draft stock like he did.  It can go both ways. 

34 minutes ago, War to the Eagle said:

The rest of your post doesn't relate to my post but here's why...

&

11 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Then we need to hammer back. We talk as if other schools don’t have weaknesses we can discuss with recruits. We should be hammering our string of 1000 yard rushers and the fact that we just had and SEC POY at the position. It’s all about how you sell it. 

uga just had two 1,000 yard rushers and both of them got drafted higher than our guy. Our guy did get drafted 6th overall among RBs. Not bad. 

Also, KJ led the league in rushing, right? Our next guy, Martin, was 27th. In between them, every other team in the SEC West except Ole Miss and 4 teams in the East had at least 2 guys. 

On 9 out of 14 SEC teams, at least 2 RBs got 90+ carries and/or 500 yards rushing in 2017. The other 5 teams were Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Ole Miss and Auburn. 3 of the 4 worst teams in the East, the 2nd-worst team in the West, and us. 

KJ was 14th in the league in yards per carry. 

Peyton Barber is currently RB1 at Tampa Bay but they just used a 2nd round pick on a running back. They picked him before Detroit picked KJ, by the way. 

We can sell whatever we want, but if somebody's inclined to offer a counter argument, they've got a lot to work with.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

That comment by him if true is weak.   By not working him that hard he would not have earned SEC Offensive Player of the year., nor increased his draft stock like he did.  It can go both ways. 

Not sure the load increased his draft stock as much as the explosive plays he had.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Not sure the load increased his draft stock as much as the explosice plays he had.

So he finally grew up.  He always showed flashes then would get nicked up.  

We developed him and then showcased him.  ?

5 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

KJ was an elite RB prospect. It's questionable that he reached his draft ceiling at Auburn. Also, wouldn't it be nice if we raised 2 players' draft stock simultaneously? uga just got 2 guys drafted ahead of us and De'Andre Swift is already on the national radar. 

The only argument for Gus's RB "rotation" is not substituting for the NH (we need to remove the "HU" part of that acronym), and even that should be mitigated by rotating them on change of possession. 

Gus was supposed to be an innovator but all these other dinosaurs are passing him by. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

KJ was an elite RB prospect. It's questionable that he reached his draft ceiling at Auburn. Also, wouldn't it be nice if we raised 2 players' draft stock simultaneously? uga just got 2 guys drafted ahead of us and De'Andre Swift is already on the national radar. 

The only argument for Gus's RB "rotation" is not substituting for the NH (we need to remove the "HU" part of that acronym), and even that should be mitigated by rotating them on change of possession. 

Gus was supposed to be an innovator but all these other dinosaurs are passing him by. 

We developed Pettway a fullback, but then it got foggy between the ears.   

I get your point though.  Comparing us to GA LY though is pretty tough.  They had an exceptional year with great backs.  

5 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

So he finally grew up.  He always showed flashes then would get nicked up.  

We developed him and then showcased him.  ?

Yes but his words are truth. In today's day & age of football it's crazy to run your RB1s in college or the pro level as much as we did.

• Like 2

Pappoe is still saying Auburn will flip Haselwood so there is some good news in the sea of doom and gloom.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

We developed Pettway a fullback, but then it got foggy between the ears.   

I get your point though.  Comparing us to GA LY though is pretty tough.  They had an exceptional year with great backs.  

Again, not sure how much we "developed" Pettway as a running back. We don't develop running backs as much as we have created an offense where RB1 is guaranteed a minimum of 20+ carries a game and a scheme that will create frequent, large holes to run through. 

As for uga's exceptional year, check out the recruiting forum. They're about to have several more because running backs know that they can go there and get an appropriate number of carries

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Pappoe is still saying Auburn will flip Haselwood so there is some good news in the sea of doom and gloom.

I wonder if Hazelwood can Tote the rock, and no I'm not being serious.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Guessing Pappoe also said we'd land Booth.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, War to the Eagle said:

Guessing Pappoe also said we'd land Booth.

I don't recall Pappoe ever mentioning Booth when he did interviews.  Only other person he has been trying to flip is Morris.  I do know Pappoe has also said after this weekend we have a lot of silent commitments as well.  I have a feeling they are waiting until after the season opener to make it official or not.  Just a guess however so take that with a grain of salt.