2019 Recruiting Thread

Zeek

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Probably not a take just yet with how many quality DBs interested in AU.

Sentimental Loof is pulling for Pritchett to AU but I got nothing but love for what you just said right here.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Most project L Cox to us. I think Derek Hall is probably the closest to committing at this time.

Get in where you fit in, D Hall! 

35 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

Yeah,.  Are we done now until after the season?

No. Hall is expected in the Fall and we’KK probably add a few to. Always do.

This class is really shaping up with Colby Wooden and Zion Puckett especially on D. SDE/DT  Handy/Gordon these fit the type Coach G like that can play both positions. Buck Wooden CB Simpson/Puckett S Sheffield/Handy-Holly Transfer from Minn. LB Pappoe. I know we are still looking at possibly 1-2 more D-Line, 1 more DB, and 1-2 LB's. This is a strong D recruit group so far. On O we have done great at QB with Nix, WR with Pickens and Johnson, decent on O-Line with Osborne at OT and Jones/Clark at G/C. We need at least one more Stud O-line to have a strong O-Line class ideally at OT but a stud OG would still be a strong O-Line class and we need a solid 4 to a stud RB.

Our D coaches are recruiting well I don't know who but I think they will pull in one more D-Lineman, one more DB and one more LB. I don't think we will get a third LB as I don't think coaches would fill a spot as opposed to getting a player they really want. I hope we will get a solid RB and hopefully with a little size on him. I am hoping for a solid O-Lineman but I am not holding my breath.

We are a very solid class now the one thing that gives me hope we can be an elite class is almost every year Auburn finds a way to finish strong after many myself included think we are done. A stud LB to go with Pappoe would make this an Elite class on D a sold 4*RB and a stud O-Lineman would make this an elite class on O.  

When I say elite I am not talking about total numbers but the quality of the numbers and how they fit our needs. A DB,LB,D-Lineman, a RB and O-Lineman adds 5 players to current commits which takes us to 20 or 21 in this class as I am not sure what class Handy-Holly would go against. That still leaves room for an unexpected flip or a surprise pickup or two like Clay and gives us room for a grad transfer or early enrollee in next class

Edited by AuburnNTexas

The coaches are hitting on all cylinders on the field and on the recruiting trail.  Nothing but positive vibes everywhere. (knocks on wood)   If we have the season that I think we are going to have, this recruiting class will be one for the ages.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

The coaches are hitting on all cylinders on the field and on the recruiting trail.  Nothing but positive vibes everywhere. (knocks on wood)   If we have the season that I think we are going to have, this recruiting class will be one for the ages.

And 2020 is starting strong than this current...

4 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I am not sure what class Handy-Holly would go against.

He'll have to count in the class of 2019. 2018 is already full.

2 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

The coaches are hitting on all cylinders on the field

Can we say that without playing a game yet?

• Like 1

Lol, you've got a point. But I'm very happy with how this team is shaping up.  I'm more optimistic  than I've ever been pre-season, and I've been around for a while.   The O-line is coming together, and this looks like a really good team. I don't think there are many question marks.  But we'll find out the truth soon enough-- Sept. 1.  As always, the schedule is brutal.

22 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

Lol, you've got a point. But I'm very happy with how this team is shaping up.  I'm more optimistic  than I've ever been pre-season, and I've been around for a while.   The O-line is coming together, and this looks like a really good team. I don't think there are many question marks.  But we'll find out the truth soon enough-- Sept. 1.  As always, the schedule is brutal.

Yep.  Two weeks.  I still worry about the Oline.  

34 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

Haven't heard the OL doing so well but going against 1 of the top 2 or 3 DLs in the nation can do that to you.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Haven't heard the OL doing so well but going against 1 of the top 2 or 3 DLs in the nation can do that to you.

And going against that D-line can only make them better.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2018 at 9:38 AM, ellitor said:

Is Ja’Len Sims no longer a target at LB?

Also, is Jayme Simmons on the radar for OL?

1 hour ago, PUB78 said:

Is Ja’Len Sims no longer a target at LB?

Hasn't been in nearly a year as far as word getting to the public.

1 hour ago, PUB78 said:

Also, is Jayme Simmons on the radar for OL?

I don't have access to the staff's board but I will say Keith has never written about him if that tells you anything.

Hmm, I wonder how recruiting in the secondary is going?

Image result for old man newspaper

CB (2-3)

4* Jaylin Simpson
4* Zion Puckett

4* Cam'Ron Kelly

S (2-3)

Soph Kendarian Handy-Holly (Minnesota transfer)
4* Jashawn Sheffield

Image result for old man newspaper

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 4

For Auburn DB coach Marcus Woodson, another big commitment

By Keith Niebuhr

When Auburn hired Marcus Woodson to help coach the secondary in January, it didn’t create a lot of buzz.

He didn’t have a big name. He was coming from Memphis, a non-Power 5 program. Little was known about him, and in particular, what kind of recruiter he would be.

But now seven months later, Woodson’s selection is making Auburn coach Gus Malzahn look pretty smart. On the recruiting trail, Auburn’s young assistant has made quite the splash.

On Wednesday, Auburn landed 4-star defensive back Cam'Ron Kelly of Chesapeake (Va.) Oscar Smith. The 6-feet-1, 190-pound Kelly is the No. 13 athlete and No. 177 overall recruit nationally in the industry generated 247Sports Composite.

Woodson, 37 and a former Ole Miss player, was Kelly’s lead recruiter.

For Woodson, Kellly’s addition to the class gives him four commitments thus far. With three of them, he was the lead/area recruiter. Two of those verbals have come from Mississippi, which is Woodson’s home state.

Thus far, these are Kelly’s gets …

-Kelly — primary recruiter: One of the highest-rated defensive players on the Auburn commit list, he likely will play corner but is versatile enough to line up just about anywhere in the secondary. He’s a former Virginia Tech commitment.

-Jaren Handy, DE/DT, Hattiesburg (Miss.) — primary recruiter: With Woodson’s work, Auburn got in on Handy, the No. 109 recruit nationally, earlier this year. From there, it was a tag-team effort between Woodson, defensive line coach Rodney Garner and defensive coordinator Kevin Steele. Handy was among the most heavily recruited prospects in the Southeast.

-Jamond Gordon, DE/DT, Meridian (Miss.) — primary recruiter: Gordon is a former Ole Miss commit. Woodson, Garner and Steele are were instrumental in that flip. Gordon has a 3-star rating, but Auburn made him a priority recruit.

-Zion Puckett, CB, Griffin (Ga.) Spalding — secondary recruiter: Garner was area recruiter, but according to Puckett he was closer to Woodson than any coach on the Auburn staff. The Tigers were not much of a factor when Woodson arrived. Last week, he committed to them over Alabama, Ohio State, Tennessee and others.

Woodson may not be done.

Most notably, he is lead recruiter for 4-star Auburn buck linebacker target Derick Hall of Gulfport (Miss.). During the recruiting process, he has gotten to know Hall and his family well.

As recently as last week, Hall told Auburn Undercover that the Tigers were his leader.

Additionally, Woodson continues to work hard on 5-star linebacker Nakobe Dean of Horn Lake (Miss.). Dean plans to officially visit the Tigers this fall. Dean said this spring Woodson was closer to his mother than any coach recruiting him.

2COMMENTS

Woodson’s primary recruiting areas are the state of Mississippi, Memphis (Tenn) and northwest-central Alabama.

-NOTE: Before Kelly’s commitment, Woodson ranked 69th nationally in the 247Sports recruiter rankings. We’ll add his new ranking to this story once the rankings update.

Edited by ellitor
Added Article
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, toddc said:

Moved this to the Recruiting Thread since it was more about Woodson & the DB board.

• Thanks 1

And to think this thread was all doom and gloom two weeks ago.

giphy.gif

Joking aside, I am really proud of how our coaches are recruiting.

• Like 1

And we could be adding another 5 star....wow, things are shaping up in a Au-some way.    Need to close in a couple of areas of course, but those have been discussed and cussed to the point of ad nauseum.  

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

And we could be adding another 5 star....wow, things are shaping up in a Au-some way.    Need to close in a couple of areas of course, but those have been discussed and cussed to the point of ad nauseum.  

A long way to go before getting another 5* in this class.

Question for you Ellitor: Let's say we get Cain. Do you think we would take Mark Anthony too if he wanted to come?