Men vs. Georgia game thread

WarTiger

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, auburntiger1987 said:

a mac left alone somehow 90+ points again feels really good

Agree. 78 given up doesn’t exactly feel good though. But ok with 90+. 

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

I'm starting to get a little worried......but we'll see

About what? Making the dance? That’s what I’m worried about at this point. 

7 minutes ago, jared52 said:

About what? Making the dance? That’s what I’m worried about at this point. 

About getting fixed while still winning and it happening by time of the big dance.  We need a another scoring option, and our offensive core is way too reliable. Lastly anybody with decent guards are going to do damage against us. Players like Peters for miss st, hall and Lewis for Alabama.....we can double and stop one sometimes but so far that other guy.....really doing damage against us

I was unable to watch today☹️ But glad for the bounce back.....and did you guys see how Alabama was beaten ??? A 3 at the buzzer! A good day all around.

41 minutes ago, cole256 said:

About getting fixed while still winning and it happening by time of the big dance.  We need a another scoring option, and our offensive core is way too reliable. Lastly anybody with decent guards are going to do damage against us. Players like Peters for miss st, hall and Lewis for Alabama.....we can double and stop one sometimes but so far that other guy.....really doing damage against us

All of this. Can’t believe how much losing Heron hurt offensively. 

I’m not completely following all the doom and gloom.

Best Team game in quite some time.   Discovered the the let downs happened when Okeke/Wiley were in.  Horace/AMac were monsters on both ends and Dunbar solid as usual.  Guards shared.   I’m a ton happier than I was 3 hours ago.

5 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Best Team game in quite some time.   Discovered the the let downs happened when Okeke/Wiley were in.  Horace/AMac were monsters on both ends and Dunbar solid as usual.  Guards shared.   I’m a ton happier than I was 3 hours ago.

Not really doom and gloom, I said I'm starting to get a little worried. 

51 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Not doom and gloom, just concern that if AU doesn’t find a why to get more fluid on offense and take fewer plays off on defense, they are going to be a bubble team. My expectations were never Final Four, but I thought AU would be a Sweet Sixteen team this year. Now I’m just concerned they might not make it to the dance at all. 

12 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Not doom and gloom, just concern that if AU doesn’t find a why to get more fluid on offense and take fewer plays off on defense, they are going to be a bubble team. My expectations were never Final Four, but I thought AU would be a Sweet Sixteen team this year. Now I’m just concerned they might not make it to the dance at all. 

We are home babies. Just like most all good-really good college basketball teams. Only the tier 1 elite teams win against quality competition on the road consistently. Clearly Ole Miss is the real deal so that loss does not bother me as much anymore.

My thoughts:

I love Mac.  He's all over the place out there.  He's a hustler, and he's tough.  We're much better with him than with Wiley.

I liked seeing Bryce Brown passing the ball instead of shooting it so much.  He seemed to let the game come to him instead of forcing things.  I'm with Cole though - I think we'd be better off with Brown coming off the bench.  I hope I don't suffer too many beatings here for saying that.

Jared Harper is having a lot of trouble hitting 2-point baskets.

I love Mac.

Dunbar look great when I got to sit down and watch the game, which wasn't very often.

Like Cole, I'm worried.  The NCAA tournament isn't a lock by any means.  We've been beaten somewhat soundly by the best 3 teams we've played this year.

I love Mac.

Really glad to get the win. Highlight of the game for me was McLemore’s play. He looked like Mac from last season and that was awesome to see. Harper also had a really good game. Brown was good and bad. I think I’ll take it as long as his good and bad are about equal. If we can get 12 from him every night I’d bet we don’t lose many more games. The complete defensive breakdowns are concerning. I was counting on us having lock down defense and we are no where close right now. Uga had way too many wide open 3s. 

Following this with a win at a&m would have me feeling a lot better about how the rest of the season will play out. I still think we can be an elite team if we get everyone going and working together consistently. Right now I think we look like maybe 5/6 best team in sec. 

I watched in spurts today as had other things going on. For all those saying we lose Wiley to the NBA next year. I don't see it. He is a big strong guy who runs fast but has no offensive game, no quick drop step, no mid range jumper or turn around jumper. His hands are not that good and he does not pass well out of the Post.  He can be an asset but not the way he is playing right now.

Today Mac looked like the Mac from last year, running defending the paint super quick he opens the floor for other players he is a hustle player with some skill and great timing on blocking shots.  Dunbar needs more PT he is strong, quick, brings energy when he comesin can hit the three and drive to the basket. Unlike last year he is in more control.

Spencer is a maximum effort guy all the time. He is not pretty but he helps this team. Plays good D, rebounds, will do the little things and we need more of that. Team plays better when he is on the floor his work ethic rubs off.

I said after Ole Miss game I would start Dunbar over Okeke after today I am doubling down on that. I am not sure what Okeke's problem is as I think he is very talented but he was better last year than this year.

Both Brown and Harper hold the ball to much and Brown dribbles to much which is not his strength. I think we need to see more of Harper and Samir at guard and Harper and McCormick at guard. I have been one of Brown's biggest defenders one because he always plays hard and two he has improved every year till this year. He is not  playing the team concept as much as in the past.

I would like to see starting lineup in next game of Mac, Dunbar, Samir, McCormac and Harper. Another group I would like to see on the floor is Mac, Okeke, Dunbar, Samir, Harper. I like Samir at the two to play D on  other teams 2, hit an occasional 3, and drive to the basket. Last year Mac was really good at catching the ball when somebody drove and going up quick and scoring before defender could get there. We need more of that. Bring Brown off the bench as instant O.

I originally thought Wiley at Center gave us the down low presence we needed but since he is inconsistent with catching the ball, indecisive after catching the ball what his presence is doing in keeping a shot blocker down low. Mac flashed down low then moves out forcing center to follow him removing the down low shot blocker.

My biggest disappointment this year is Purifoy I thought he would be the player who could come the closest to providing us what Herron did last year.  While I know this post seems somewhat negative, I think it is that way because of the way we are playing not because I like talking about our issues. That said I think with the right rotations and each player buying into the team concept instead of the me concept like few seem to have that this can be a good team.

I need to see us play a good game on the road against a good team to do that we need to play good D the whole game not just in stretches and we need to pass the ball, drive and continue shooting threes but threes that are good looks in the flow of the offense not clock is running out I have to force one or rebound run up court stop 5 feet behind the three line when all alone and hoist up a three. We have the talent now we need to play like a team. 

Archived