Ilhan Omar

homersapien

20 minutes ago, GiveEmElle said:

This is merely more of the same Republican hypocrisy. When the leader of their party called men marching in the streets chanting “Jews will not replace us” very fine people there was no criesof anti-semitism. When a man radicalized by right wing boogeyman theories about Jew George Soros walked into a Shabbat and massacared 11 people there were no cries of anti-semitism from the right. When George Soros himself received a bomb, crickets again. But let a Muslim woman speak about Israel and its outrage extraordinaire. But this outrage plays to a right wing evangelical base that feeds on loving Israel and hating Muslims. 

In a since-deleted tweet that was posted before the November midterm election, Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), then-House majority leader, accused Soros, who had just been targeted by a homemade explosive, of seeking to “BUY this election!” Also in on the plot, he wrote, were former New York mayor Michael R. Bloomberg and Tom Steyer, a California billionaire. The two men are Jewish and of Jewish heritage, respectively.

It was McCarthy who called on Democratic leaders last week to sanction Omar and her Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.), who is also Muslim, for conduct he described as “unacceptable in this country,” especially given “what this country went through in World War II.” Without explaining why, he judged their remarks to be worse than racist statements made by Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa). Both women have been critical of the Israeli government and have periodically apologized for their use of language that some found prejudicial against Jews.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/02/12/trump-gop-are-accused-anti-semitism-double-standard-after-piling-ilhan-omar/?utm_term=.afa203dc173d

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, auburn41 said:

“Nuanced,” huh?  That is what you fall back on?  I knew you were a “Denier.”  Spoken like the narcissistic psychopath you are. Just another of the 36K posts that don’t mean what they say. CLUELESS!

Nonetheless, accurate. :moon:

Conservatives just don't "do" nuance, too simple-minded.

But they can fling poo as your post demonstrates.

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

In a since-deleted tweet that was posted before the November midterm election, Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), then-House majority leader, accused Soros, who had just been targeted by a homemade explosive, of seeking to “BUY this election!” Also in on the plot, he wrote, were former New York mayor Michael R. Bloomberg and Tom Steyer, a California billionaire. The two men are Jewish and of Jewish heritage, respectively.

It was McCarthy who called on Democratic leaders last week to sanction Omar and her Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.), who is also Muslim, for conduct he described as “unacceptable in this country,” especially given “what this country went through in World War II.” Without explaining why, he judged their remarks to be worse than racist statements made by Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa). Both women have been critical of the Israeli government and have periodically apologized for their use of language that some found prejudicial against Jews.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/02/12/trump-gop-are-accused-anti-semitism-double-standard-after-piling-ilhan-omar/?utm_term=.afa203dc173d

Like I said, more of the same hypocrisy. It’s only wrong if the left does it. A ***** grabbing POTUS signing Bibles and hush money checks is above reproach. But let’s attack a POTUS who wore a tan suit and likes Dijon mustard. 

18 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Nonetheless, accurate. :moon:

Conservatives just don't "do" nuance, too simple-minded.

But they can fling poo as your post demonstrates.

You must not have understood the nuance in my post. It is obviously above your head 😂

Meanwhile,

The day after Omar’s remarks, the United Nations concluded that Israel had violated international law and potentially committed war crimes by responding to a fresh wave of Gaza protests in 2018 by killing 189 Palestinians, including 35 children, three clearly marked paramedics and two clearly marked journalists, and injuring thousands. U.N. investigators noted one death of an Israeli soldier and injuries to eight others but rejected the government’s claims that the rallies ― aimed at Israel’s blockade of Gaza and refusal to let over a million registered refugees there return to their historic homes ― were overall a military operation.

The next day, Israeli forces again shot at demonstrators at the fence between the country and the Gaza Strip, wounding 17. Some protesters involved in the new “Great March of Return” campaign that began March 30, 2018, have used stones and devices like incendiary kites, but their leaders have urged peaceful activism, and Israeli forces have in many cases attacked people too far from the fence to cause harm......

.......On Tuesday, a group of Israeli settlers in the West Bank attacked a school, wounding a child and damaging several teachers’ cars in the 11th assault on the facility, the Palestinian news agency Maan reported. Violence by settlers ― Israelis who move into areas generally considered part of a future state of Palestine and establish permanent homes ― has increased dramatically in recent months amid Israeli anger over Palestinian attacks and an apparent decline in Israeli authorities’ desire to rein in what they call “Jewish terror.” The U.N. says the settlers’ violence has killed one Palestinian and wounded 14 so far this year.

Wednesday brought an Israeli shutdown of water supplies for 2,600 Palestinians, per Maan, and the nighttime clash on the Gaza border that killed Zaied. The military ― which receives more than $3 billion in U.S. aid per year ― then launched airstrikes into Gaza, one of the poorest areas in the world, hours later in response to the launch of armed balloons and a rocket into Israel.

On Friday, Israeli forces killed another Palestinian protester. Stateside, the media and political attention to Omar ― and, with it, the news peg to talk about the issues she raised ― began to fade.

Tacitly accepting a status quo in which rights are violated regularly with massive support from the U.S. is, after all, the norm when it comes to Israel and Palestine. It’s what has allowed steady changes, like an uptick in Israeli settlements, and permitted that strategy of expansion to use cynical means to gain more legitimacy by, for instance, selling an opportunity for Americans to profit and have a good time. Airbnb, Expedia and other travel giants are now drawing vacationers to visit some of the disputed regions, Amnesty International recently reported. “This is an illegal practice [but]... tourists are pouring into these areas,” the group’s Philippe Nassif said.

And it’s how the daily injustices in the West Bank and Gaza become so normalized that they’re rarely even mentioned now in coverage that does talk about flare-ups in violence or political shifts. Under the occupation, Palestinians have to travel miles out of their way to avoid the lengthy, potentially violent process of trying to get through settlements and can frequently face sudden lockdowns of their towns or other intimidation from soldiers that they’ve got little chance to complain about since courts are deferential to the Israeli security forces, Eric Goldstein of Human Rights Watch told HuffPost. In Gaza, people’s lives are “on hold,” he added, because of how tightly Israel and Egypt limit the ability to leave to study, work or see loved ones, and basics like electricity and water are in short supply.

Amid the suffering inflicted by Israel, Palestinians find little recourse from their own leadership. Neither Hamas nor the Palestinian Authority in the occupied West Bank has much appetite for popular representation or questioning of their rule. “If you criticize corruption on your Facebook page or if you’re a journalist who tries to write about this, you’re at risk of not only being arrested but being tortured, whether or not you’re ever charged,” Goldstein said. Because of the stasis in the peace process, which lets them redirect Palestinian anger to Israel and the U.S. and argue change could threaten the community’s already-diminished status, the two governing bodies don’t see much incentive in reform.

Omar raised the need to think about what is happening with Palestine. Maybe now her colleagues ― and their millions of constituents less vulnerable to the political pressure she identified ― will try to do something about it.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ilhan-omar-palestinians_n_5c82f5dee4b0d93616281ab3

5 hours ago, GiveEmElle said:

Like I said, more of the same hypocrisy. It’s only wrong if the left does it. A ***** grabbing POTUS signing Bibles and hush money checks is above reproach. But let’s attack a POTUS who wore a tan suit and likes Dijon mustard. 

So, what're your thoughts on Omar? Provide something more than your usual fall-back. We know Trump is evil and all republicans suck - give us something new. 

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/08/politics/ilhan-omar-criticizes-obama/index.html

What is Omar thinking? This seems odd.

Washington (CNN)A new interview with Rep. Ilhan Omar in which she appears to criticize former President Barack Obama as insufficiently progressive is the latest example of the freshman congresswoman's penchant for taking on the Democratic Party establishment, though she later disputed the report's characterization of her remarks.

In an interview published Friday, Politico quoted the Minnesota Democrat as dismissing the "hope and change" promoted by Obama as a "mirage" -- though she wasn't quoted using that word -- and she also criticized Obama for the "caging of kids" and "droning of countries around the world."
Omar also told Politico, "We can't be only upset with Trump. ... His policies are bad, but many of the people who came before him also had really bad policies. They just were more polished than he was.
"And that's not what we should be looking for anymore. We don't want anybody to get away with murder because they are polished. We want to recognize the actual policies that are behind the pretty face and the smile."

The story characterized her description of Obama's policies as functioning within the same "fundamentally broken framework" as Trump, though Omar didn't cite Obama by name in that section of the published material.

7 hours ago, homersapien said:

Meanwhile,

The day after Omar’s remarks, the United Nations concluded that Israel had violated international law and potentially committed war crimes by responding to a fresh wave of Gaza protests in 2018 by killing 189 Palestinians, including 35 children, three clearly marked paramedics and two clearly marked journalists, and injuring thousands. U.N. investigators noted one death of an Israeli soldier and injuries to eight others but rejected the government’s claims that the rallies ― aimed at Israel’s blockade of Gaza and refusal to let over a million registered refugees there return to their historic homes ― were overall a military operation.

The next day, Israeli forces again shot at demonstrators at the fence between the country and the Gaza Strip, wounding 17. Some protesters involved in the new “Great March of Return” campaign that began March 30, 2018, have used stones and devices like incendiary kites, but their leaders have urged peaceful activism, and Israeli forces have in many cases attacked people too far from the fence to cause harm......

.......On Tuesday, a group of Israeli settlers in the West Bank attacked a school, wounding a child and damaging several teachers’ cars in the 11th assault on the facility, the Palestinian news agency Maan reported. Violence by settlers ― Israelis who move into areas generally considered part of a future state of Palestine and establish permanent homes ― has increased dramatically in recent months amid Israeli anger over Palestinian attacks and an apparent decline in Israeli authorities’ desire to rein in what they call “Jewish terror.” The U.N. says the settlers’ violence has killed one Palestinian and wounded 14 so far this year.

Wednesday brought an Israeli shutdown of water supplies for 2,600 Palestinians, per Maan, and the nighttime clash on the Gaza border that killed Zaied. The military ― which receives more than $3 billion in U.S. aid per year ― then launched airstrikes into Gaza, one of the poorest areas in the world, hours later in response to the launch of armed balloons and a rocket into Israel.

On Friday, Israeli forces killed another Palestinian protester. Stateside, the media and political attention to Omar ― and, with it, the news peg to talk about the issues she raised ― began to fade.

Tacitly accepting a status quo in which rights are violated regularly with massive support from the U.S. is, after all, the norm when it comes to Israel and Palestine. It’s what has allowed steady changes, like an uptick in Israeli settlements, and permitted that strategy of expansion to use cynical means to gain more legitimacy by, for instance, selling an opportunity for Americans to profit and have a good time. Airbnb, Expedia and other travel giants are now drawing vacationers to visit some of the disputed regions, Amnesty International recently reported. “This is an illegal practice [but]... tourists are pouring into these areas,” the group’s Philippe Nassif said.

And it’s how the daily injustices in the West Bank and Gaza become so normalized that they’re rarely even mentioned now in coverage that does talk about flare-ups in violence or political shifts. Under the occupation, Palestinians have to travel miles out of their way to avoid the lengthy, potentially violent process of trying to get through settlements and can frequently face sudden lockdowns of their towns or other intimidation from soldiers that they’ve got little chance to complain about since courts are deferential to the Israeli security forces, Eric Goldstein of Human Rights Watch told HuffPost. In Gaza, people’s lives are “on hold,” he added, because of how tightly Israel and Egypt limit the ability to leave to study, work or see loved ones, and basics like electricity and water are in short supply.

Amid the suffering inflicted by Israel, Palestinians find little recourse from their own leadership. Neither Hamas nor the Palestinian Authority in the occupied West Bank has much appetite for popular representation or questioning of their rule. “If you criticize corruption on your Facebook page or if you’re a journalist who tries to write about this, you’re at risk of not only being arrested but being tortured, whether or not you’re ever charged,” Goldstein said. Because of the stasis in the peace process, which lets them redirect Palestinian anger to Israel and the U.S. and argue change could threaten the community’s already-diminished status, the two governing bodies don’t see much incentive in reform.

Omar raised the need to think about what is happening with Palestine. Maybe now her colleagues ― and their millions of constituents less vulnerable to the political pressure she identified ― will try to do something about it.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ilhan-omar-palestinians_n_5c82f5dee4b0d93616281ab3

Hey, before I read more of the articles you post, I need you to state unequivocally whether or not you agree with what is in the article. I’m just trying to guard against your “nuance” defense.....#CLUELESS😂

Problems with posting articles from the UN...

https://haam.org/2017/03/27/history-of-hypocrisy-in-un-attitudes-toward-zionism/

Oh yea, Israel...your mere existence is racist...Signed the UN. 

If anyone on the planet Earth listens to anything the UN has to say on Israel, you are just a moonbat.

The UN created Israel. Then called it Racist. Is the UN filled with Racists then? :thedeal:

15 hours ago, auburn41 said:

Hey, before I read more of the articles you post, I need you to state unequivocally whether or not you agree with what is in the article. I’m just trying to guard against your “nuance” defense.....#CLUELESS😂

The article is factual, not opinion.  So my "agreeing" with it is nonsensical. I might refute any given part - given additional information - but agreeing with it - in the way you are using it - is a non sequitur.

(Sorry if I wounded you by exposing your mistake earlier about the nuanced difference between branding someone as  racist vs. appearing as racist, but it was a nevertheless a valid point.)

5 hours ago, homersapien said:

The article is factual, not opinion.  So my "agreeing" with it is nonsensical. I might refute any given part - given additional information - but agreeing with it - in the way you are using it - is a non sequitur.

(Sorry if I wounded you by exposing your mistake earlier about the nuanced difference between branding someone as  racist vs. appearing as racist, but it was a nevertheless a valid point.)

Dude, the only thing you “wounded” is your crybaby reputation. You post all kinds of crap and when you get called on it you scream “quit lying about what I posted.”  If that play doesn’t work then you go for “my comment was too nuanced for you.”  Everyone that reads this board knows how you are and you can’t have it both ways. You have a good day! #CLUELESS

21 minutes ago, auburn41 said:

Dude, the only thing you “wounded” is your crybaby reputation. You post all kinds of crap and when you get called on it you scream “quit lying about what I posted.”  If that play doesn’t work then you go for “my comment was too nuanced for you.”  Everyone that reads this board knows how you are and you can’t have it both ways. You have a good day! #CLUELESS

Nevertheless, I didn't say what you claimed I said.

You apparently ignored or was blind to the nuanced difference between what you claimed and what I actually wrote. 

It's just like with the confederate battle flag:  Displaying one doesn't make you a racist, but it will certainly make you appear racist to others.

And really, "crybaby reputation"?  You are the one who got all defensive - wounded - over my pointing out your error.  But keep it up, you are proving my point every time you post on it.

11 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Problems with posting articles from the UN...

https://haam.org/2017/03/27/history-of-hypocrisy-in-un-attitudes-toward-zionism/

Oh yea, Israel...your mere existence is racist...Signed the UN. 

If anyone on the planet Earth listens to anything the UN has to say on Israel, you are just a moonbat.

The UN created Israel. Then called it Racist. Is the UN filled with Racists then? :thedeal:

I doubt the UN had a racist state in mind when they created it. :-\

Netanyahu says Israel is a state 'only of the Jewish people . . . not of all its citizens’

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says Israel is the homeland “only of the Jewish people,” in a new jab at the country’s Arab minority ahead of April’s election.

Netanyahu on Sunday addressed “slightly confused people” after an Israeli celebrity defended the rights of Israel’s Arab population. Arabs comprise about 20 per cent of Israel’s 9 million residents. They have full citizenship rights but have faced decades of discrimination.

On Saturday, actress Rotem Sela denounced Netanyahu’s frequent talking point that his political rival will form a government with Arab political parties.

“When the hell will someone in this government tell the public that Israel is a country of all its citizens,” Sela wrote on Instagram.

Netanyahu responded: Israel “is the national state, not of all its citizens, but only of the Jewish people.”

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/world/article-netanyahu-says-israel-is-a-state-only-of-the-jewish-people-not/

23 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

So, what're your thoughts on Omar? Provide something more than your usual fall-back. We know Trump is evil and all republicans suck - give us something new. 

My thoughts on Omar... she was elected by her district and is a target for unfair criticism because of her faith. It’s oddly ironic that the same people crying about her antisemitism also have a Jewish boogeyman. 

4 minutes ago, GiveEmElle said:

My thoughts on Omar... she was elected by her district and is a target for unfair criticism because of her faith. It’s oddly ironic that the same people crying about her antisemitism also have a Jewish boogeyman. 

Do you have a problem with any of her statements?

3 hours ago, homersapien said:

I doubt the UN had a racist state in mind when they created it. :-\

Netanyahu says Israel is a state 'only of the Jewish people . . . not of all its citizens’

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says Israel is the homeland “only of the Jewish people,” in a new jab at the country’s Arab minority ahead of April’s election.

Netanyahu on Sunday addressed “slightly confused people” after an Israeli celebrity defended the rights of Israel’s Arab population. Arabs comprise about 20 per cent of Israel’s 9 million residents. They have full citizenship rights but have faced decades of discrimination.

On Saturday, actress Rotem Sela denounced Netanyahu’s frequent talking point that his political rival will form a government with Arab political parties.

“When the hell will someone in this government tell the public that Israel is a country of all its citizens,” Sela wrote on Instagram.

Netanyahu responded: Israel “is the national state, not of all its citizens, but only of the Jewish people.”

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/world/article-netanyahu-says-israel-is-a-state-only-of-the-jewish-people-not/

I don’t know what your silly ass is even talking about here. You defy intelligence  sometimes. Israel was created in 1949. by the U.N.  on my link that you didn’t read <Er> Israel is declared racist by definition. Hence, "Zionism is Racism." It has nothing to do with the Israeli govt and/or Netanyahu, who was at best a young man when it happened. 

UN: "If those damn Jews would just line back up and walk to their deaths like they did for Hitler, all would be okay. They keep grabbing guns, and beating their Arab attackers...badly." 

This was supposed to be where we concentrated the number of Jews so we could kill them easier.  Turns out that they may just be God’s chosen people because the more the Arabs attack, the more Israel takes of their land. Karma....and stuff. 

2 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Do you have a problem with any of her statements?

Why don’t you quote the ones you’d like me to comment on so I’m not searching blindly for the one you want. 

3 hours ago, homersapien said:

Netanyahu's whole statement: 

“Israel is not a state of all its citizens,” he wrote in response to criticism from an Israeli actor, Rotem Sela. “According to the basic nationality law we passed, Israel is the nation state of the Jewish people – and only it. “ As you wrote, there is no problem with the Arab citizens of Israel. They have equal rights like all of us and the Likud government has invested more in the Arab sector than any other government,” he said of his rightwing party. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/mar/10/benjamin-netanyahu-says-israel-is-not-a-state-of-all-its-citizens

Netanyahu is in a tough election and he has obviously had his "Deplorables." moment. 

On 3/9/2019 at 4:39 PM, Grumps said:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/08/politics/ilhan-omar-criticizes-obama/index.html

What is Omar thinking? This seems odd.

Washington (CNN)A new interview with Rep. Ilhan Omar in which she appears to criticize former President Barack Obama as insufficiently progressive is the latest example of the freshman congresswoman's penchant for taking on the Democratic Party establishment, though she later disputed the report's characterization of her remarks.

In an interview published Friday, Politico quoted the Minnesota Democrat as dismissing the "hope and change" promoted by Obama as a "mirage" -- though she wasn't quoted using that word -- and she also criticized Obama for the "caging of kids" and "droning of countries around the world."
    Omar also told Politico, "We can't be only upset with Trump. ... His policies are bad, but many of the people who came before him also had really bad policies. They just were more polished than he was.
    "And that's not what we should be looking for anymore. We don't want anybody to get away with murder because they are polished. We want to recognize the actual policies that are behind the pretty face and the smile."

The story characterized her description of Obama's policies as functioning within the same "fundamentally broken framework" as Trump, though Omar didn't cite Obama by name in that section of the published material.

elle, Darling you seem to be ignoring the shot or shots Ilhan took at Obama. She openly mocked "Hope and Change," Reminded the whole world that Obama ordered drones in and killed innocent civilians, including women and children. She stated that Obama committed murder but was getting away with it simply because he was more polished and smiled a lot.

Your opinion please: 

57 minutes ago, GiveEmElle said:

Why don’t you quote the ones you’d like me to comment on so I’m not searching blindly for the one you want. 

First page of the thread where I referenced the NYT article for brother Homer. 

On 3/9/2019 at 9:50 AM, GiveEmElle said:

This is merely more of the same Republican hypocrisy. When the leader of their party called men marching in the streets chanting “Jews will not replace us” very fine people there was no criesof anti-semitism. When a man radicalized by right wing boogeyman theories about Jew George Soros walked into a Shabbat and massacared 11 people there were no cries of anti-semitism from the right. When George Soros himself received a bomb, crickets again. But let a Muslim woman speak about Israel and its outrage extraordinaire. But this outrage plays to a right wing evangelical base that feeds on loving Israel and hating Muslims. 

Actually it's called Dual Hypocrisy....it's a shared stance. Whether it's the Jews or the Muslims it still rings true throughout the duopoly. 

2 hours ago, autigeremt said:

Actually it's called Dual Hypocrisy....it's a shared stance. Whether it's the Jews or the Muslims it still rings true throughout the duopoly. 

Dual hypocrisy? Just who makes up this couple? 

On 3/10/2019 at 8:12 PM, NolaAuTiger said:

First page of the thread where I referenced the NYT article for brother Homer. 

“All about the Benjamins, baby” is from a rap song. So I guess she is in touch with rap music. So I don’t have a problem with that. 

On 3/10/2019 at 7:47 PM, DKW 86 said:

elle, Darling you seem to be ignoring the shot or shots Ilhan took at Obama. She openly mocked "Hope and Change," Reminded the whole world that Obama ordered drones in and killed innocent civilians, including women and children. She stated that Obama committed murder but was getting away with it simply because he was more polished and smiled a lot.

Your opinion please: 

Crickets...cant say I am surprised tho. 

When you and your friend's entire intellectual worth is in party talking points, it doesnt leave much else. 

Image result for trolling meme

16 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Crickets...cant say I am surprised tho. 

When you and your friend's entire intellectual worth is in party talking points, it doesnt leave much else. 

Image result for trolling meme

Well a**hole, I’ve actually been busy so you’ll have to excuse me for not responding to you in a manner that you deem appropriate. I wasn’t aware of any disparaging remarks she made about Obama. Again, if you’d like to direct me to a link with the quote, I’ll respond. It might not be on your timetable since I’m not an elderly white male who can stay on a message board all day posting insane bull**** so I can make myself feel like I have worth and value in this world. I have a job and children as well as a crippled father to tend to. 

Archived