Men's assistant Ira Bowman mentioned in bribary scheme

AlaskanFAN

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there is just no way AU is involved in wrong doing, just bad PR.....he was hired due to his possible relationship with cooper (what i read on another site)and his family....exactly how that is, it didn't say....in any case, there is just no problems for AU except maybe hunting an assistant coach....i'm sure compliance is all over this, and i'll bet that even they are scratching their heads over it

33 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

he was hired due to his possible relationship with cooper (what i read on another site)

Posted numerous times here as well

I just hope he didn't do anything wrong while being employed by AU. And i would also really appreciate it if this did not get in the way of Cooper's recruitment. 

I assume 90% of college basketball coaches and assistants have been involved with under handed payments so i could care less if he was involved in shady stuff at a previous school....just don't do it here!!

2 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I just hope he didn't do anything wrong while being employed by AU. And i would also really appreciate it if this did not get in the way of Cooper's recruitment. 

I assume 90% of college basketball coaches and assistants have been involved with under handed payments so i could care less if he was involved in shady stuff at a previous school....just don't do it here!!

He had knowledge of a bribery and he willingly accepted a credit card with access to an account where bribery $$ was held while employed at Penn.  Can he be trusted to walk the straight an narrow while at AU if he was on the take at Penn?  Let's also remember the only reason he is at AU because of his relationship with a highly sought recruit.

At face value, based solely on the little snippet in the article AU Compliance will be working through spring break.

1 minute ago, keesler said:

He had knowledge of a bribery and he willingly accepted a credit card with access to an account where bribery $$ was held while employed at Penn.  Can he be trusted to walk the straight an narrow while at AU if he was on the take at Penn?  Let's also remember the only reason he is at AU because of his relationship with a highly sought recruit.

At face value, based solely on the little snippet in the article AU Compliance will be working through spring break.

Can you trust any coach with previous coaching experience to walk the straight and narrow? I think we can all move past the moral outrage and being surprised when this stuff comes out these days. 

4 minutes ago, keesler said:

I was a little worried about this as well. I think Bruce is likely pissed because he needs to at least maintain the perception that everything is above board. We know nobody is clean in some form or fashion, even Ivy League schools lol. But with last year and everything...eesh, not great

1 hour ago, TigerOne said:

First question in the interview process, are you involved with the Bribery scandal? Auburn's vetting process is not good at all.

Softball, baseball, basketball apparently you just have to show up with a somewhat impressive resume.

oh...I am sure the coach will answer THAT question honestly. lol....

watching the FIBS interview/PC right now....wow!.....50 people caught up in something that i didn't think was a crime....i thought that was the way it was done....probably involves creating fraudulent documents....had a central agent arranging it all

28 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

watching the FIBS interview/PC right now....wow!.....50 people caught up in something that i didn't think was a crime....i thought that was the way it was done....probably involves creating fraudulent documents....had a central agent arranging it all

This is all connected to that?

3 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

This is all connected to that?

its looks to be all part of the probe....i have been in the garden this morning and i am trying to catch up......its all scheme to get the dumb kids from rich people into prestigious schools, with athletic schollies being the route, along with huge "donations" to the schools or the schools AD.....as much as 6.5 million in one instance......its the same MO....there was one guy running the scheme out of austin texas.....thats as far as i have got.....time to eat lunch

13 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

its looks to be all part of the probe....i have been in the garden this morning and i am trying to catch up......its all scheme to get the dumb kids from rich people into prestigious schools, with athletic schollies being the route, along with huge "donations" to the schools or the schools AD.....as much as 6.5 million in one instance......its the same MO....there was one guy running the scheme out of austin texas.....thats as far as i have got.....time to eat lunch

It's definitely similar but I don't know if they are connected. The stuff about Bowman came out in testimony during a trial currently taking place, where all the stuff today was about charges being filed as a result of an investigation, so timelines don't exactly match up.

31 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

with athletic schollies being the route, along with huge "donations" to the schools or the schools AD...

Looks like the deal is that "tax deductible" contributions are made to non-revenue sports and in turn the kid gets an athletic scholly which typically has a lower level of academic requirement.   What makes all of this a problem for the participants is that people claiming these bribes as tax deductible charges on the tax returns is likely to be a federal crime.  Not to mention those getting the bribes who probably did not declare the income.   BIG mistake. 

Does not seem like an NCAA issue as regards the schools involved since it seems those most of these prospective athletes were not really gonna play the sport anyway. 

as a gardener, the term "breaking new ground" comes to mind...i'll be damn if i know how this is going to work....its all new....ertrader,i just wonder if the penn coaches caught wind of how this works, and went out on their on?.....all of this is definitely a federal crime, but is it an NCAA violation?....corruption is everywhere....hey, i thought this was how it worked...daddy give money, junior get perks

1 hour ago, ertrader said:

It's definitely similar but I don't know if they are connected. The stuff about Bowman came out in testimony during a trial currently taking place, where all the stuff today was about charges being filed as a result of an investigation, so timelines don't exactly match up.

No its not connected to the investigation involving Bowman..

Someone in the media asked if the investigation into college entrance bribery scheme spawned from the investigation of Jerome Allen and the bribery scheme to get a player on a college team (Including Bowman). 

The answer was no. It spawned from a different investigation the FBI was involve with.

Stay with the story and you will realize that Bowman is small potatoes. This case has been keeping the FBI busy for some time ..

29 minutes ago, warhogone said:

Stay with the story and you will realize that Bowman is small potatoes. This case has been keeping the FBI busy for some time ..

Yep....story broke in more detail today and seems to me that most of the transgressions only have minor connections to athletic programs....mostly were attempts to beat the difficult entrance requirements of elite schools by using athletic scholarships as a guise.   BUT....any coach involved with any aspect of that is automatically suspect in about any other recruiting activity IMO.     Bowman may indeed be small potatoes....but likely the NCAA will be around once again trying to find out what he's been doing here and who he has been recruiting.  DAMN.... 

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

No its not connected to the investigation involving Bowman..

Someone in the media asked if the investigation into college entrance bribery scheme spawned from the investigation of Jerome Allen and the bribery scheme to get a player on a college team (Including Bowman). 

The answer was no. It spawned from a different investigation the FBI was involve with.

Medicare and Medicaid faud I believe

These details emerged amid a Medicaid and Medicare fraud investigation centering around healthcare executive Phillip Esformes, the parent of the player in question.

Auburn needs to give Bruce a phat lifetime contract with a morality clause in tbe 4 font. 

This stuff has happened in the Ivy Leagues forever.  The super wealthy, getting their dumb kids into elite schools through donations or as it should be called bribery.

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

This stuff has happened in the Ivy Leagues forever.  The super wealthy, getting their dumb kids into elite schools through donations or as it should be called bribery.

Could be but sounds like the big news today is about the west coast and dumb kids of celebrities doing the same thing out there.....

Archived