...monstrous task ahead for OL in 2020

bigbird

Just now, toddc said:

I hate it when people think this is okay. If I wanted to say that I would have typed that!Typing fify doesn’t make it okay to change another’s post. I’m sure you’re trying to be funny, but I’d rather you let it stand on it’s own. Thanks 

My apologies. Considering you added the "laughing" emoticon I took it you weren't that serious yourself. 

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, gr82be said:

My apologies. Considering you added the "laughing" emoticon I took it you weren't that serious yourself. 

I wasn’t, but I’ve had someone do that to me and made a nasty joke out of my post and was misleading to where it looked like I said something that I didn’t. Wasn’t being nasty, but letting you know that some of us don’t agree with doing it. It’s all good with us though, and I know you weren’t being malicious like the other poster was. Thanks 

45 minutes ago, toddc said:

I hate it when people think this is okay. If I wanted to say that I would have typed that!Typing fify doesn’t make it okay to change another’s post. I’m sure you’re trying to be funny, but I’d rather you let it stand on it’s own. Thanks 

WELL DANG TODD!!!! YOU BOOMED HIM!!! YOU FREAKING BOOMED HIM!!! You did not have to do him like this. 82 is good people and he def was totally joking and did not mean anything by this!!! I have never seen this side of you before lol.

11 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

WELL DANG TODD!!!! YOU BOOMED HIM!!! YOU FREAKING BOOMED HIM!!! You did not have to do him like this. 82 is good people and he def was totally joking and did not mean anything by this!!! I have never seen this side of you before lol.

No need to yell! I explained why I asked him not to fifm and we’re good! 

1 minute ago, toddc said:

No need to yell! I explained why I asked him not to fifm and we’re good! 

I have no other volume besides YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLING!!!! lol

29 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I have no other volume besides YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLING!!!! lol

Wooooohooo it’s all gooood mu man! 😆 

9 hours ago, DAG said:

Trolling...

Um... No. I am 100% serious. But if that makes you feel better then sure? I guess?

Not entirely sure why something that is 100% fact could be considered a troll? But whatever...  Some people just dont like facts i guess. I mean ive not been exactly kind to Malzahn. I know this. But i am not a Gus hater. I just see things differently than most on here... I actually look at things independently than through orange and blue shaders... Sometimes extremely far out statements are met with equally as far out replies. 

I was blown away someone could actually make that statement. 

But like i said, if saying my post is a troll and not 100% factual actually helps ya sleep at night, then keep living in your fantasy world. Just because you dont like facts, doesnt make them untrue/a troll post. 

On 5/20/2019 at 1:56 PM, TigerOne said:

well they beat Auburn so there's that

UT Beating Auburn was THE game that burnt me up with CGM. Like the guy but he just doesnt have that burning desire to win. He just doesnt. 

On 5/20/2019 at 1:48 PM, Zeek said:

If we can get a Bruce Pearl like coach for the football team that would be amazing. I really just want a coach with a little more energy and excitement behind him. Gus interviews are utterly pointless.

Probably my biggest pet peeve with CGM. He interviews like wallpaper, utterly lifeless and usually without any fire in his belly.  Dye would get mad as hell and Tuberville could as well. Ole Sweatervest? IMHO, he just doesnt show e that he is committed to Auburn and winning every game. 

On 5/20/2019 at 12:50 PM, bigbird said:

Worthy of a separate thread.

FWIW, I see Gus staying another year unless he started 2-4

Unfortunately, I agree. CGM could strike lightning in a bottle and suddenly win 10 games, or he could be Ole Sweatervest and act like a mannequin at the mall....

On 5/20/2019 at 10:58 AM, Zeek said:

Replacing 5 seniors is always going to be a hard task but especially so when you don't recruit particularly well at certain positions.

And this is the maddening thing about CGM. He recruits so disconnectedly. Its like he doesnt plan past next year. He recruits well enough and then treats them so poorly that they walk off. When we lost Asa Martin...<smdh> that was the dumbest play I have seen an AU Coach do. that kid will shine wherever he lands. From the high school side, Martin was just ignored in practice and on the field. CGM gets his #1 and just rides him into the ground.

Also reading through this entire thread...  For the life of me... regardless of his previous success... after Gus, I cannot understand how SO MANY of you would not only be ok with ANOTHER high school coach but would ACTUALLY put him at the TOP of your list. 

Jesus H Christ what have we become? Havent you guys had enough high school coaches?

Our rivals are hiring superstar coaches and recruiting 5* backups. Meanwhile we are actually talking about the merits of another high school coach and looking to sign a WHOLE LOT of 3* recruits...

And a lot of yall wonder why we are falling further and further behind our main rivals... Look no further than this very thread.

I guess maybe I'll be quoted again calling this post a troll... LoL

1 hour ago, DKW 86 said:

Like the guy but he just doesnt have that burning desire to win. He just doesnt. 

And this is the maddening thing about CGM. He recruits so disconnectedly. Its like he doesnt plan past next year. 

So my personal opinion is that he does have that burning desire. I believe Gus is as passionate a coach as there is. That we've recruited as well as we have and that our kids continue to fight despite his massive and obvious shortcomings as a head coach really speaks to this, to my way of thinking.

But, and to your second point, he just doesn't have much experience relative to most other big time coaches. Which would be okay if he, like Dabo, hired "alpha assistants" (pardon the possible oxymoron) and empowered them to succeed. Wouldn't hurt if he would trust his players to do their jobs, either. He's done this on defense, but instead of seeking experienced help on offense, he just keeps retreating inward. He thinks he's kicking superfluous cooks out of the kitchen, but he's just shunning the ideas and perspectives that could help him grow and succeed as an offensively-minded head coach. And even this would be okay if he really was the offensive savant that only he still thinks he is. But he's not even in the same area code as the Spurriers, Rileys or Leaches. 

He's like a mediocre actor who could be a giant movie star but just wants to do little indie films so people will respect his craft. Ya big dummy, just go make the next Transformers movie! (I haven't really thought this analogy out at all. Not gonna overthink it. Hitting submit reply in 3, 2...)

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

So my personal opinion is that he does have that burning desire. I believe Gus is as passionate a coach as there is. That we've recruited as well as we have and that our kids continue to fight despite his massive and obvious shortcomings as a head coach really speaks to this, to my way of thinking.

But, and to your second point, he just doesn't have much experience relative to most other big time coaches. Which would be okay if he, like Dabo, hired "alpha assistants" (pardon the possible oxymoron) and empowered them to succeed. Wouldn't hurt if he would trust his players to do their jobs, either. He's done this on defense, but instead of seeking experienced help on offense, he just keeps retreating inward. He thinks he's kicking superfluous cooks out of the kitchen, but he's just shunning the ideas and perspectives that could help him grow and succeed as an offensively-minded head coach. And even this would be okay if he really was the offensive savant that only he still thinks he is. But he's not even in the same area code as the Spurriers, Rileys or Leaches. 

He's like a mediocre actor who could be a giant movie star but just wants to do little indie films so people will respect his craft. Ya big dummy, just go make the next Transformers movie! (I haven't really thought this analogy out at all. Not gonna overthink it. Hitting submit reply in 3, 2...)

One thing when it come to Dabo and his coaching career. He, even as a kid, has been around a big time football program. He played for one and has coached for several. He knows how big time football programs work and knows how to use the system and it's people. It's is strong point. Not the coaching part. He is a below avarge college "coach". He knows how to run a big time program.

2 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

UT Beating Auburn was THE game that burnt me up with CGM. Like the guy but he just doesnt have that burning desire to win. He just doesnt. 

Probably my biggest pet peeve with CGM. He interviews like wallpaper, utterly lifeless and usually without any fire in his belly.  Dye would get mad as hell and Tuberville could as well. Ole Sweatervest? IMHO, he just doesnt show e that he is committed to Auburn and winning every game. 

Unfortunately, I agree. CGM could strike lightning in a bottle and suddenly win 10 games, or he could be Ole Sweatervest and act like a mannequin at the mall....

And this is the maddening thing about CGM. He recruits so disconnectedly. Its like he doesnt plan past next year. He recruits well enough and then treats them so poorly that they walk off. When we lost Asa Martin...<smdh> that was the dumbest play I have seen an AU Coach do. that kid will shine wherever he lands. From the high school side, Martin was just ignored in practice and on the field. CGM gets his #1 and just rides him into the ground.

I agree with most of this except recruiting for the next season.  He should be recruiting for 3-4 years down the road but has generally failed to do so.

13 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Yeah, it's the article that has AU fans talking about firing coach.   It has absolutely nothing to do with 25 losses in 5 seasons.

How many in six? 

2 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

UT Beating Auburn was THE game that burnt me up with CGM. Like the guy but he just doesnt have that burning desire to win. He just doesnt

What was he supposed to do pull Stidham? Our game plan was fine that game.

Made Guarantano look like Deshaun Watson but okay. 

10 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

How many in six? 

7.5 wins and 4.5 losses per year over his career at AU.  He is also 28-20 in the SEC which breaks down to 4.6 wins and 3.4 losses per season in conference games.

Just now, dyehardfanAU said:

7.5 wins and 4.5 losses per year over his career at AU.

Oh, the horror. Good years sprinkled into average years.

Had the hardest schedule in the nation twice. ONLY one reprieve when we had the 15th most difficult SOS. 

And he runs the program with character too. Unlike Dye...

39 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Oh, the horror. Good years sprinkled into average years.

Had the hardest schedule in the nation twice. ONLY one reprieve when we had the 15th most difficult SOS. 

And he runs the program with character too. Unlike Dye...

Per who?

Dye didn't run a "character" program? You serious?

CGM does indeed run this program with character and he is an excellent representative of Auburn.  No one can say otherwise, he is a good man and he is also a good coach.

The main issue is that this is the SEC, this is the strongest conference in the country.  THIS is a conference where being good at some programs just isn't good enough. 

49 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I will say Dye did run a lot of other programs into the ground because he wanted their funding stripped and redirected to his team.  Auburn used to have an elite wrestling team with Olympians.  Dye convinced Auburn Athletics to scrap the program so the football team could have that money.  I know this because my uncle was on that team.

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Per who?

1.Team Rankings...

2. Yes 

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I will say Dye did run a lot of other programs into the ground because he wanted their funding stripped and redirected to his team.  Auburn used to have an elite wrestling team with Olympians.  Dye convinced Auburn Athletics to scrap the program so the football team could have that money.  I know this because my uncle was on that team.

Not sure that is true about Dye wanting the to scrap other programs for the football team. I heard wrestling and other programs  got scrapped for women's athletics.Sort of a sticky wicket to say the least. Auburn's wrestling team won more SEC titles than anybody else in the SEC. Made me sick to see wrestling go away. We had great coaches. Swede Umbach was in a class by himself along with the other coaches, Sonny Dragoin and Dan McNair. The thing about coach Umbach is he had a glass eye and you never knew when he was looking your way lol. Coach Umbach is in the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame, BTW.

WDE

6 minutes ago, Slammer1 said:

Not sure that is true about Dye wanting the to scrap other programs for the football team. I heard wrestling and other programs  got scrapped for women's athletics.Sort of a sticky wicket to say the least. Auburn's wrestling team won more SEC titles than anybody else in the SEC. Made me sick to see wrestling go away. We had great coaches. Swede Umbach was in a class by himself along with the other coaches, Sonny Dragoin and Dan McNair. The thing about coach Umbach is he had a glass eye and you never knew when he was looking your way lol. Coach Umbach is in the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame, BTW.

WDE

That is just what my uncle told me who was on the team and was on the last team Auburn had.  I think it would be great to bring wrestling back though.  I know it is mostly a northern sport now on the collegiate level. 

Archived