...monstrous task ahead for OL in 2020

bigbird

3 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

That is just what my uncle told me who was on the team and was on the last team Auburn had.  I think it would be great to bring wrestling back though.  I know it is mostly a northern sport now on the collegiate level. 

Sad but true. Wrestling is really big in Oklahoma and other schools in the midwest. ESPN will occasionally have wrestling matches on but not very often and I try to watch them when I can. It's 9 minutes of agony that consumes all your energy provided you last that long in the match without getting pinned or DQed.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I agree with most of this except recruiting for the next season.  He should be recruiting for 3-4 years down the road but has generally failed to do so.

That was my point. I may have been hazy in writing it tho. We should be role playing our recruiting 4+years down the road. 

8 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Most people call that the truth. Which it is.

10 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Also reading through this entire thread...  For the life of me... regardless of his previous success... after Gus, I cannot understand how SO MANY of you would not only be ok with ANOTHER high school coach but would ACTUALLY put him at the TOP of your list. 

Jesus H Christ what have we become? Havent you guys had enough high school coaches?

Our rivals are hiring superstar coaches and recruiting 5* backups. Meanwhile we are actually talking about the merits of another high school coach and looking to sign a WHOLE LOT of 3* recruits...

And a lot of yall wonder why we are falling further and further behind our main rivals... Look no further than this very thread.

I guess maybe I'll be quoted again calling this post a troll... LoL

I was definitely saying the guy you were responding to was trolling.You  guys acting like straight up females around here at times. 

8 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Most people call that the truth. Which it is.

I was talking about the guy he was responding to. Some of y’all kill me . That guy got y’all to bite. Rarely ever posts but when he does he get 5 or 6 responses. 

9 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Oh, the horror. Good years sprinkled into average years.

Had the hardest schedule in the nation twice. ONLY one reprieve when we had the 15th most difficult SOS. 

And he runs the program with character too. Unlike Dye...

I'm not sure I'd call it a horror but it certainly meets the standard for mediocrity.  Seems like you're cool with that though so whatevs.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I was definitely saying the guy you were responding to was trolling.You  guys acting like straight up females around here at times. 

It was pretty clear who you meant by the trolling comment and it wasn't A2E. If you read enough comments by folks you see a general pattern and climate and can usually tell. Some miss on that concept. 🤔 

On 5/21/2019 at 11:50 AM, Tiger said:

While Urban is slimy and a lot of folks wouldn't want him here I think he would galvanize the fan base and fight nega recruiting fire with fire. He would be aggressive in fanning the flames of our rivalries with UGA and Bama and also try to run the score up on everyone. Recruiting would get a tangible boost. 

I also think the overall character of guys we bring in would take a dip as Urban has never emphasized good character during his scouting. 

Heck yeah!!

And let's bring in Petrino as OC! Now that guy is an offensive guru!

46 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I'm not sure I'd call it a horror but it certainly meets the standard for mediocrity.  Seems like you're cool with that though so whatevs.

You call that stretch mediocrity, but then again, there is only one other SEC west team besides Auburn that’s made it to the SEC championship game since 2013, and we have made it twice. Could we win like that every year in our conference? Sure, as soon as the unicorn hands me a beer. 

Just now, aujeff11 said:

You call that stretch mediocrity, but then again, there is only one other SEC west team besides Auburn that’s made it to the SEC championship game since 2013, and we have made it twice. Could we win like that every year in our conference? Sure, as soon as the unicorn hands me a beer. 

I don't think it's a stretch to expect AU to be a 9-10 win team on average to go along with the great years.  5 losses a season is what fans such as yourself deserve with the attitude you carry.

2 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I don't think it's a stretch to expect AU to be a 9-10 win team on average to go along with the great years.

I mean he averages 8.8. 

Also, the only fans that deserve five loss seasons are those that think they are entitled to wins not losses. I would say and bammers too but that would be redundant. 

5 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I mean he averages 8.8. 

Also, the only fans that deserve five loss seasons are those that think they are entitled to wins not losses. I would say and bammers too but that would be redundant. 

If you're good with consistently losing to our rivals and going 3-3 against MSU you deserve it.  If you're good with being mediocre I'm not sure what more can be said. 

If you're having to default to the tired argument of someone who disagrees with you or expects more is a bammer then you've got nothing of substance to say.

1 minute ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Well if you're good with being mediocre I'm not sure what more can be said 

And if 8.8, not 9 is the tipping point, then I’m here to join the nitpicking party. 

3 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

If you're having to default to the tired argument of someone who disagrees with you or expects more is a bammer then you've got nothing of substance to say.

Your reading comprehension is on fire.

On 5/22/2019 at 5:11 PM, DAG said:

I was talking about the guy he was responding to. Some of y’all kill me . That guy got y’all to bite. Rarely ever posts but when he does he get 5 or 6 responses. 

On 5/22/2019 at 5:09 PM, DAG said:

On 5/22/2019 at 7:10 PM, gr82be said:

It was pretty clear who you meant by the trolling comment and it wasn't A2E. If you read enough comments by folks you see a general pattern and climate and can usually tell. Some miss on that concept. 🤔 

I hardly ever post any more because of this. This thread was started as an article on the OL and (per usual) went into a new coach discussion. I don't have any inside information, I just come for the social interaction with Auburn fans about football.

I get the dislike for Gus- I'm not going to make excuses for him. But most of the topics get off track and usually end up with firing coaches or benching players. I find out humorous/ironic and usually point it out.

To that end- I was interested in reading about the OL situation upcoming but nah, didn't happen. Some of you guys are touchy on the trigger.

5 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

I hardly ever post any more because of this. This thread was started as an article on the OL and (per usual) went into a new coach discussion. I don't have any inside information, I just come for the social interaction with Auburn fans about football.

I get the dislike for Gus- I'm not going to make excuses for him. But most of the topics get off track and usually end up with firing coaches or benching players. I find out humorous/ironic and usually point it out.

To that end- I was interested in reading about the OL situation upcoming but nah, didn't happen. Some of you guys are touchy on the trigger.

My response was not about you at all. Now who's touchy? My response was regarding two other posters and the misunderstanding between them. If thread activity last long enough on here it is going to get derailed. We all seem to suffer from ADD in some capacity. Just can't stay on topic. No malice is meant by it. 

4 minutes ago, gr82be said:

My response was not about you at all. Now who's touchy? My response was regarding two other posters and the misunderstanding between them. If thread activity last long enough on here it is going to get derailed. We all seem to suffer from ADD in some capacity. Just can't stay on topic. No malice is meant by it. 

Wasn't responding to you, at all. Just quoted you and DAG for emphasis because I liked your responses. You guys get it.

And no, I'm not trolling. I don't have any interest in getting a bunch of people jazzed up online for any reason

1 hour ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

There has been like 5 threads about the offensive line. The offensive line  and its problem is a direct reflection of Gus’s recruiting. Of course it’s going to reverberate back to him in this case. Otherwise, add some input about the offensive line. You chose not to. You chose to actually say a smart remark and those guys clearly responded to it. That’s why I said it was trolling . That is why I initially ignored that obvious statement. You self admitted you barely post and when you did, it was of no significance . You baited and you got responses. Congrats.

What did you expect to read about the OL in late May?

Do you have any thoughts on the OL situation?

Since AT went down again, who do you think will step up as the "6th" lineman that Gus enjoy using?

Do you think any of the guards might be able to slide out to give relief to the Tackle spot? If so, who and why?

Do you think that one if the new centers will surpass Brahms or take Kim's spot? 

Do you think Jackson can make an impact in his first year of OL?

If Horton or Harrell go down, who do you think will be the next guard up?

34 minutes ago, DAG said:

There has been like 5 threads about the offensive line. The offensive line  and its problem is a direct reflection of Gus’s recruiting. Of course it’s going to reverberate back to him in this case. Otherwise, add some input about the offensive line. You chose not to. You chose to actually say a smart remark and those guys clearly responded to it. That’s why I said it was trolling . That is why I initially ignored that obvious statement. You self admitted you barely post and when you did, it was of no significance . You baited and you got responses. Congrats.

Out of fairness, I don't think @WDE_OxPx_2010 was trolling if that is what you meant (I couldn't tell if you were calling him a troll or the person he was responding to a troll).

I do see the merit of both sides though.  This thread has been derailed with talk about Kirby Smart (I am an offender too), and other coaches.  Another thread suffered the same fate.  Honestly this happens every year because this is the down period for the forum with not much new information coming in unless someone transfers in or out.  That's why you don't see me post as much because it's just the same topics over and over.  Most people are set in their views so talking about it doesn't help.  I usually just post GIF's to lighten the mood now. 

giphy.gif

No need for people to get red in the face talking about issues that will not be solved until the season starts in 100 days.  That is way too long of a period to be mad.

giphy (1).gif

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Since AT went down again, who do you think will step up as the "6th" lineman that Gus enjoy using?

Do you think any of the guards might be able to slide out to give relief to the Tackle spot? If so, who and why?

Do you think that one if the new centers will surpass Brahms or take Kim's spot? 

Valid questions . Let’s see if we can get responses.

14 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Out of fairness, I don't think @WDE_OxPx_2010 was trolling if that is what you meant (I couldn't tell if you were calling him a troll or the person he was responding to a troll).

I do see the merit of both sides though.  This thread has been derailed with talk about Kirby Smart (I am an offender too), and other coaches.  Another thread suffered the same fate.  Honestly this happens every year because this is the down period for the forum with not much new information coming in unless someone transfers in or out.  That's why you don't see me post as much because it's just the same topics over and over.  Most people are set in their views so talking about it doesn't help.  I usually just post GIF's to lighten the mood now. 

giphy.gif

No need for people to get red in the face talking about issues that will not be solved until the season starts in 100 days.  That is way too long of a period to be mad.

giphy (1).gif

Yeah and his response sure did a great job of pushing forward discussion. I can see why people also get sick of that. IMO, if you don’t like the thread, then don’t respond. This thread was about the offensive line which completely falls at the feet of Gus. So yes Gus is going to get killed in a thread like this.  Because there is not much to add other than the depth of the offensive line sucks. @bigbird has added some good questions , so I am expected a quality response from that person that adds to discussion.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Probably slide Osborne inside. He's obviously a natural tackle but we have plenty of depth there.

:outtahere:

dire.  It is reasonable to believe we will have the worst offensive line and depth next season

not on roster or Hamm

no.  Athleticism. Bad weight.  Feet.

Possible.  I am not sure that Brahms will get back pre-injury form and Kim is just a guy.

no

Hamm

1- Since AT went down again, who do you think will step up as the "6th" lineman that Gus enjoy using?

2- Do you think any of the guards might be able to slide out to give relief to the Tackle spot? If so, who and why?

3- Do you think that one if the new centers will surpass Brahms or take Kim's spot? 

4- Do you think Jackson can make an impact in his first year of OL?

5- If Horton or Harrell go down, who do you think will be the next guard up?

OL is the position I know the littlest about (Safety, both positions, is a close 2nd). I am interested in/worried about what's going to happen in 2020 so I appreciated the article and was hoping for some insightful responses. Having said that...

1- I really, REALLY wanted AT to succeed this year. He's been my hope for a multiple year starter at tackle. That's not going to happen, it appears. It'll be a tackle, I think, SO the next guy that I'm leaning on would be Jackson by default. I think Sammons is a freak athlete and would love his light to come on but I doubt we'll ever get him to be an asset. A fill in, sure.

2- I don't know what makes a G/T unique in skill set, but I feel strongly that Stutts is a big man and hope he could possibly be a Tackle. I love his frame and demeanor (or what I've read, anyway)

3- I hope Irving challenges for C job- something about him gives me hope. I was really high on Kim and Sharp when we got them but I think they are just smart, character guys who won't ever have the nasty it takes. K Bell is probably too green and needs to learn this year but he would be the obvious best choice for taking job given continuity heading into next season.

4- I can't speak on Jackson- haven't heard much about him yet from my cursory viewing. Was hoping for that intel here.

5- next G up, without question: Stutts. As I mentioned earlier I have a feeling that he's going to be a good one and I have no doubts he'll do the job if it's needed.

BONUS material:

-K Jones is my favorite OL addition since Braden Smith. Big, strong, seems to have an edge. I'm hoping he's as good as advertised and gets "it"

- I think we'll pull in a good class this year and it'll be fine for 2020. It could get ugly but if it falls into place then YES we'll be young- but I think we'll be set up after that for success. JB is a great coach and I think he'll get us back where we need to be, similar to when Nall* (oops- misremembered) was in charge. We just need to show that he'll be around for a few years (like Gus does)

Archived