Your beliefs on Abortion...

DKW 86

Your Beliefs on Abortion....  

33 members have voted

1. 1. In general terms, What do you identify with?

• Pro-Choice
    • Pro-Life
  2. 2. More Specifically...

• No Restrictions Up Until Birth: Mother's Choice.
    • Up until 30 Weeks, Rape & Incest, Exceptions Afterwards.
    • Up until 20 Weeks, Rape & Incest, Exceptions Afterwards.
    • Up until 12 Weeks, Rape & Incest, Exceptions.
    • Up until Heartbeat or Roughly 6 Weeks, Rape & Incest, Exceptions.
    • Rape & Incest, Exceptions Only
    • No Exceptions, Sanctity of Life Only.

6 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

Perhaps, but I suspect that if we were to poll people who were adopted, the vast majority would have preferred being adopted (i.e., alive) than aborted.  The desire/urge to live is strong, even in horrible circumstances. 

So you speak for those adopted having never walked in their shoes?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, kevon67 said:

So you speak for those adopted having never walked in their shoes?

No, I speak from a general understanding of human beings.  Are you suggesting that most people who were adopted would rather have been aborted?

6 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

No, I speak from a general understanding of human beings.  Are you suggesting that most people who were adopted would rather have been aborted?

I can see it both ways my sister is adopted she is 17 years younger then me.  I was going to Auburn when my parents adopted her and I know she is glad/happy she was not aborted but in her earlier years she had lots of issues with it. It was tough when she would ask why her parents didn't want her. We are very close 

30 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

Why "most"? How is that relevant?

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Because in a world with no grey area, just black or white......"most" will get you a good nights sleep and to hell with the others.

3 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

I can see it both ways my sister is adopted she is 17 years younger then me.  I was going to Auburn when my parents adopted her and I know she is glad/happy she was not aborted but in her earlier years she had lots of issues with it. It was tough when she would ask why her parents didn't want her. We are very close 

My biological mother lives around the corner from you in St. Petersburg.

12 hours ago, McLoofus said:

My point is that given the option between having a difficult life and no life at all, most people would prefer to live.  In the case of abortion, they don’t even have that option as the choice is made for them by people who don’t even know how they’re future would have unfolded.  I’m not trying to be callous to the struggles that adopted people face, but lots of people (adopted or not) face difficulties in life.  And lots of people turn out to be real a-holes (like Hitler or Stalin).  Does that mean we are in position to preemptively decide who gets to live before they’ve even had a chance to live?  

9 hours ago, kevon67 said:

Because in a world with no grey area, just black or white......"most" will get you a good nights sleep and to hell with the others.

So, if being adopted is worse than being aborted, should we outlaw adoption?

I think the argument that ‘adopted people have problems, therefore it’s not a viable alternative to abortion’ is a lousy argument.  Rather than a using me of being incapable of appreciating the nuances and difficulties of this issue, show me where I’m wrong.

2 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

Is that how I see it - black or white?

I see your game and I refuse to play it. Have a nice day.

4 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

So, if being adopted is worse than being aborted, should we outlaw adoption?

You've mostly seemed above this kind of silliness.

6 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

I see your game and I refuse to play it. Have a nice day.

Does this mean you concede my point that being adopted may not be as bad as being aborted?

53 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

Does this mean you concede my point that being adopted may not be as bad as being aborted?

Nice try but you have won no points. Quite the opposite. Nobody is mistaking your trolling for anything other than what it is. 

What trolling? His point is 100% logical - to argue that abortion is morally valid because some adopted people have to suffer the negatives of being adopted is absurd.  ALL life is suffering to some degree.  A life of inconvenience is still worth more than no life at all.  We make choices every day that carry negative outcomes in the name of the greater good.  You are going to have to excuse me, but there are MUCH worse fates that you could be straddled with at birth than having to eventually deal with the sadness of learning that you were adopted.  There are people who are born with no arms and legs.

16 minutes ago, metafour said:

What trolling? His point is 100% logical - to argue that abortion is morally valid because some adopted people have to suffer the negatives of being adopted is absurd.  ALL life is suffering to some degree.  A life of inconvenience is still worth more than no life at all.  We make choices every day that carry negative outcomes in the name of the greater good.  You are going to have to excuse me, but there are MUCH worse fates that you could be straddled with at birth than having to eventually deal with the sadness of learning that you were adopted.  There are people who are born with no arms and legs.

Man. You guys really aren't getting... anything... at all.

Although your last 2 sentences do make a good case for keeping abortion legal. 

42 minutes ago, metafour said:

Finding out you were adopted and only born because your mother got knocked up by her preacher and abortion was outlawed by a president who tried to get his own daughter aborted. Probably suicidal .....

28 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

What is there to get? Its a stupid ******* argument.  Which is about par for the course LMFAO.

Abortion is good because some adopted people are sad when they find out they were adopted.  Want me to show you the world's smallest violin? 

1 minute ago, metafour said:

What is there to get? Its a stupid ******* argument.  Which is about par for the course LMFAO.

Abortion is good because some adopted people are sad when they find out they were adopted.  Want me to show you the world's smallest violin? 

Huh. So your response to being told that you've missed the point is just to repeat your misinterpretation thereof.

I guess this is where I remind myself how often emotion and intelligence find themselves at odds with each other. 

Using a person who doesn’t have an ideal life to justify abortion is as ridiculous as using a successful person who was adopted to ban abortion. Once a person is born a decision was made and that’s the end of the story. What never was, never will be and we’d all be better off to leave it at that and move on. 

I think some folks making comments need to look in the mirror or think before posting. I always like the comment......."It's interesting that everyone who supports abortion is alive."

1 hour ago, metafour said:

Obviously you weren't adopted.......As for your smallest violin....

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Huh. So your response to being told that you've missed the point is just to repeat your misinterpretation thereof.

I guess this is where I remind myself how often emotion and intelligence find themselves at odds with each other. 

How about instead of telling us we're missing the point you make the case for how we're missing the point? 

It seems as though the argument that was put forth is that people who were adopted have difficulties in life, therefore, abortion should be legal.  Pointing out the lack of logic in this argument (granted, with some use of sarcasm - or reductio ad absurdum), says nothing about the level of compassion I or anyone else who recognizes this lack of logic may have for adopted people and their struggles.  Furthermore, it doesn't make an claim to whether or not abortion should be legal; it just says that this is not a good basis to use for making the case that abortions should be allowed.  My intent was not to troll (well, not really), but to point out the fallaciousness of that line of thinking.   

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Although your last 2 sentences do make a good case for keeping abortion legal. 

Smoke meth much?

2 hours ago, alexava said:

Finding out you were adopted and only born because your mother got knocked up by her preacher and abortion was outlawed by a president who tried to get his own daughter aborted. Probably suicidal .....

That's horrible, but it still doesn't make the case that a person who experienced those atrocities should have never been born.  Also, pointing out that some people are hypocrites with regard to this issue doesn't make the case either.

Is this statement based on an actual person you know/knew and, if so, did he or she tell you that they would have rather have not been given a chance to live?  Is he or she still alive?  

Archived