Richard Jibunor has entered the transfer portal

GwillMac6

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Ahhh. JGT speculated he wouldn't be surprised if he did so that's where my thought came from.

I would hope that if Jibunor got in trouble again he would have been dismissed. Not the bad PR of transferring Gus and AU will take. But that is just me.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I would hope that if Jibunor got in trouble again he would have been dismissed. Not the bad PR of transferring Gus and AU will take. But that is just me.

Are you referencing the DUI he got, or was there another instance?

I feel like if he got in trouble again Gus would have booted him.  That is one thing I really admire about Malzahn is he does not tolerate getting into trouble and has no issue booting a player.

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

Are you referencing the DUI he got, or was there another instance?

I feel like if he got in trouble again Gus would have booted him.  That is one thing I really admire about Malzahn is he does not tolerate getting into trouble and has no issue booting a player.

This is what I was saying. If he got in trouble again, he should have been booted. A good, real good player transferring is a bad PR hit. Not one Gus should take unnecessary. Lord knows he has enough bad press on his own. 

18 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

This is what I was saying. If he got in trouble again, he should have been booted. A good, real good player transferring is a bad PR hit. Not one Gus should take unnecessary. Lord knows he has enough bad press on his own. 

I don't feel like this is on Gus though as he let's Steele have full autonomy.  It would be more on Steele if anyone.  But this would not be like Steele which is why I am wondering, like you, if there is something else going on.

Maybe he did something and entered the transfer portal before the coaches had a chance to"boot him off of the team". Hate to see him go but if he breaks the rules, see ya!

9 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I don't feel like this is on Gus though as he let's Steele have full autonomy.  It would be more on Steele if anyone.  But this would not be like Steele which is why I am wondering, like you, if there is something else going on.

I get what you are saying but Gus is the head coach. When things happen its the head coach that gets the credit or the blame, fair or not. 

43 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

It's a good thing managing bad press is our strong suit.  😂

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Just an observation but most schools are reluctant to post or release any negative news about one of the students unless someone outside the school does it.  Be it Gus or Nick......when a player has a dui or anything of that sort it's best to handle it quietly.   And when did the idea of players going to the transfer portal become a negative PR thing?  

Maybe that's just an AU perception but nearly every school in the country has players in the transfer portal....so It's not unusual and personally I don't see how that casts the school in any kind of negative light.

Is someone just looking for an excuse to rag on Gus?    Sounds that way to me....:dunno:

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Just an observation but most schools are reluctant to post or release any negative news about one of the students unless someone outside the school does it.  Be it Gus or Nick......when a player has a dui or anything of that sort it's best to handle it quietly.   And when did the idea of players going to the transfer portal become a negative PR thing?  

Maybe that's just an AU perception but nearly every school in the country has players in the transfer portal....so It's not unusual and personally I don't see how that casts the school in any kind of negative light.

Is someone just looking for an excuse to rag on Gus?    Sounds that way to me....:dunno:

🙋‍♂️

I think in this case, it would be perceived as negative because Jibunor is known to be a talented athlete and, even though he is just a sophomore, is projected to be a contributor in 2019.  It's not like some guy who's buried on the depth chart or someone who's looking to leave because of family issues.  If it turns out that he's leaving because of family issues or because he got in trouble again, I think any PR damage can be amended.

2 hours ago, triangletiger said:

🙋‍♂️

I think in this case, it would be perceived as negative because Jibunor is known to be a talented athlete and, even though he is just a sophomore, is projected to be a contributor in 2019.  It's not like some guy who's buried on the depth chart or someone who's looking to leave because of family issues.  If it turns out that he's leaving because of family issues or because he got in trouble again, I think any PR damage can be amended.

he is unproven at AU and apparently was not able to beat out about a half dozen other LB candidates... and portal is full of 4* and even some 5^ athletes.....if this is portrayed as a negative issue it is because some AU people are promoting it as such.  

Outside of al.com, nobody in the national sports media seems to care about all these transfers other than just the overall issue about the numbers who are shopping around now. .  

Check this piece:    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2839819-winners-and-losers-of-the-transfer-portal-so-far-in-2019#slide0

I don’t know who it was but a guy on the radio said he will certainly be gone and it’s not football related. 

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

Ragging on Gus? Not at all. As you can tell I’m not upset one bit about this. Everyone has rules they need to follow. Some players have a little more they have to do. Just don’t see why AU should look bad in this situation when it’s s in the player. Say he was dismissed if he was. That is all. Which seems to be the case here. Gus did nothing wrong here. 

28 minutes ago, AU64 said:

he is unproven at AU and apparently was not able to beat out about a half dozen other LB candidates... and portal is full of 4* and even some 5^ athletes.....if this is portrayed as a negative issue it is because some AU people are promoting it as such.  

Outside of al.com, nobody in the national sports media seems to care about all these transfers other than just the overall issue about the numbers who are shopping around now. .  

Check this piece:    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2839819-winners-and-losers-of-the-transfer-portal-so-far-in-2019#slide0

These players listed where not going to get the snaps that Jibunor was going to get. He wasn’t beat out. Playing time was not a factor. One isn’t like the other. 

6 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

The ONLY argument I can see against just booting a kid that's in trouble is that maybe you're trying to not scuttle a kids chances somewhere else. Not saying that's what is happening here.

Let's say hypothetically a player is on the outs for something stupid and big (we will go DUI for the example). They've been told that they have zero chances left. Then they do something that breaks the rules, but it's not something terrible. The kid doesn't have to go to a JuCo cause he screwed up - it could seriously be a drastic change in the kids life outcomes. There's a big history of players flaming out after getting kicked off a team and getting themselves in more and more trouble with the law or substance abuse or blown chances to BE somebody. 

Giving a kid the chance to put themselves in the portal is the equivalent in that case of letting someone resign instead of being fired.

I feel you regarding the idea about rules and chances. I just see this as another tool in the toolbox. I can guarantee some other schools that are big on family atmosphere would use it too. I know if it were my kid, seeing a coach take a high road and not blow up some other kids future would give me a lot of trust he's really looking out for my kids interest. Probably an unintended consequence of the transfer portal, but it's not necessarily a bad thing.

1 minute ago, AidiAU said:

Hopefully I'll be meeting Gus and Bruce tonight...want me to ask? 

Hate it though. :( 

Just tell him aujeff11 says Gatewood is a full go, then nod and disappear into the crowd.

He will know what I’m talking about. 

Also ask Bruce where he wants his statue. I already have a shrine in my closet and can donate until we get one built. 

18 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Just tell him aujeff11 says Gatewood is a full go, then nod and disappear into the crowd.

Also ask Bruce where he wants his statue. I already have a shrine in my closet and can donate until we get one built. 

Nice. I lol. 

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

These players listed where not going to get the snaps that Jibunor was going to get. He wasn’t beat out. Playing time was not a factor. One isn’t like the other. 

Yes, Jibunor was going to play a lot, and possibly get a start, depending on who was in front of him. So, it had nothing to do with playing time.

I laugh, when someone is transferring, and with no other reports in the past indicating the player had off the field problems, here comes reports he had off the field problems. geez.

From reading between the lines what Moultry said, it was possible, Jibunor is adamant on wanting to play LB and not an end rusher. Moultry also said he did not respond to teaching moments from Garner..so may be he is fighting being the best End when his mind is made up he wants to be a LB...therefore...He gone to somewhere that will give him that option...

I like how Malzahn is handling it.  The players know, which means the recruits  will know.  It actually helps reinforce his style moreso than a negative hit.   The “We wish him the best” comment is standard Malzahn language for this is my team, and my rules.   Think back to how he handled Duke.    This is much much better.   

3 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

You know I represented the JG fan club. Also chatted with Gus about moving into his new house. 

72F8B083-4B93-4213-8BEB-CD3426338C37.jpeg

9 minutes ago, auburnphan said:
Rodney GardneVerified account 2 minutes ago

👀@carllawson55 is definitely NOT AFRAID of some WORK, HARD WORK 😤🔷🔶🔷

Rodney Garner

I seriously hope Garner wasn't taking an indirect shot at Jibunor.

I wouldn't want to bust my ass if I weren't happy doing what I was doing and didn't get a position I really wanted and knew I wasn't going to get a chance at the position I wanted. If the guy's not happy then he should leave.

I just left a job after busting my ass for almost 4 years and never got a chance to move up or get another position that I wanted to do. I guess I'm afraid of hard work according to Garner.

22 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

You know I represented the JG fan club. Also chatted with Gus about moving into his new house. 

72F8B083-4B93-4213-8BEB-CD3426338C37.jpeg

Noice!!! Is Malzahn going to live on Lake Martin? 

16 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

I seriously hope Garner wasn't taking an indirect shot at Jibunor.

I wouldn't want to bust my ass if I weren't happy doing what I was doing and didn't get a position I really wanted and knew I wasn't going to get a chance at the position I wanted. If the guy's not happy then he should leave.

I just left a job after busting my ass for almost 4 years and never got a chance to move up or get another position that I wanted to do. I guess I'm afraid of hard work according to Garner.

I'm not sure how that tweet could be construed as a shot at Jibunor.

Archived