Richard Jibunor has entered the transfer portal

GwillMac6

Retention? Development? Na who cares? As long as we sign those top 10 classes right?

That was my first thought. 

But Mikey and Dag are right. Cant fault the young man for actually wanting to play LB and not DE/Buck. Hopefully we keep this in mind in regards to signing future talent...cough cough...Phillip Webb...cough cough.... 

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, kevon67 said:

Slight derail.........Just noticed your in Lafayette isnt that Daniel Cromiers hometown?

Yep. That's the one. 

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

Yep .thought he was doing pretty well... ...but maybe DE was the way to get him on the field where he was needed most?  :no: Steele and his coaches usually know what they are doing....so I wonder if he was gonna be able to contribute at LB....:dunno:

Did you watch Jubinor move around those few times we got to see him on the field? He was a natural LB, and will be a very good one at his new school, where ever that may be. About Steele and those coaches, that's a discussion for another thread. I'll leave you with the one fact that the MSU QB ran for 249 net yards, most of it between the tackles, on our "arguably the best front seven in college football" defense.

3 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

The timing of this is strange to say the least. 

Actually, it's the time of year when a few kids normally drop out, even before the portal. They go through spring practice and nothing changes for them. So they  finish the school term and then announce that they are moving on. I usually don't mind because most of the time it's been players that obviously won't help us and need to be at a smaller place. Losing Jubinor is bad because he's a solid SEC talent with no known off-field issues.

19 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Did you watch Jubinor move around those few times we got to see him on the field? He was a natural LB, and will be a very good one at his new school, where ever that may be. About Steele and those coaches, that's a discussion for another thread. I'll leave you with the one fact that the MSU QB ran for 249 net yards, most of it between the tackles, on our "arguably the best front seven in college football" defense.

All of this and our defense knew there was basically no threat of a vertical passing game. A fairly detailed article I read basically said that Steele never adjusted. So beyond herp derp the offense herp derp, there were plenty of spots of concern from that game on D. To Steele’s credit he admitted that his D didn’t do well, but you know, he’s entirely escaped any blame from that game on here. 

The article:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.footballstudyhall.com/platform/amp/2019/5/23/18564309/master-class-chess-games-of-2018-moorhead-vs-steele-mississippi-state-auburn-nick-fitzgerald

I hate seeing him leave. Maybe he will change his mind and things will be better for him in the future. I am not a big fan of the transfer portal and wish it would go away. Not going to happen though. Have we actually gotten anyone from the "transfer portal" ?

5 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I hate seeing him leave. Maybe he will change his mind and things will be better for him in the future. I am not a big fan of the transfer portal and wish it would go away. Not going to happen though. Have we actually gotten anyone from the "transfer portal" ?

Jack Driscoll

Jay Jay Wilson

2 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

Jack Driscoll

Jay Jay Wilson

forgot about them. Thanks!

Hopefully Jibunor will end up staying. A lot of those who enter the portal do. 

7 hours ago, doc4aday said:

Like stated previously the portal isn't the cause of transfers but it might cause an increase. Hopefully Auburn never finds out but it could have an effect on the schools APR if the player's GPA doesn't meet the requirements due to lack of retention. 

The issue is still unresolved about players having to sit out a year....at this point RJ would have to do so unless he transfers down. 

Transferring is not the solution to most problems...JMO.

BTW...if you look at the link to transfer portal there appears to be nearly 100 quarterbacks alone in it.....a link worth checking out...

7 hours ago, doc4aday said:

This was before the transfer rules but we also landed Blake Countess as well as Corey Grant.

The transfer portal puts your name out there and allows other schools to recruit you.  That is one main difference about transfers today. Sort of like a job site like Careerbuilder and Indeed. So coaches can call you to gauge your interest in transferring.  I can see where some could be using it to look at all their options. 

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

I have my issues with Steele too...but when it comes to deciding where a guy ought to play that best serves the Auburn team, I'm inclined to trust him and his coaches.     It would be good if some kind of agreement could be reached and maybe it still can be.....but coaches need to have the final word in my view.....and the young man can go along with it....or find a place where he thinks his goals can be achieved. 

Jibunor shined in his limited playing time, and coaches and teammates were raving about him and his potential in the spring. I’m pretty sure he didn’t randomly wake up and enter the portal. Something very specific is behind this, and whatever it is will come out in time. Whatever it is, I hope he works it out and stays. 

44 minutes ago, AU64 said:

..but coaches need to have the final word in my view.....and the young man can go along with it....or find a place where he thinks his goals can be achieved. 

Oh,  agree that coaches have to have the last say. My wild guess is that Jubinor wants to play LB and will go somewhere that will provide him with that opportunity. If he has an NFL future it won't be at DE, it will be at LB.

18 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Oh,  agree that coaches have to have the last say. My wild guess is that Jubinor wants to play LB and will go somewhere that will provide him with that opportunity. If he has an NFL future it won't be at DE, it will be at LB.

Yeah that’s the unfortunate part. I am guessing the staff probably feels he is the best option at DE, but I have to wonder if he is an NFL LB ( which I think he has world renown talent to become one) why would they not place him a team LB. He definitely was a beast on the field from what little I have seen. Do we have several LBs better than him at the position ? Very interesting 

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Do we have several LBs better than him at the position

I'd make that conclusion.....don't usually move a guy unless you are trying to find the best way to get him on the field. 

And wonder if he or the coaches were influenced by the LBs that have committed lately?  

And of course he is not gone until he is actually gone.....so guess we should wait and see what happens...

18 minutes ago, DAG said:

Do we have several LBs better than him at the position ? Very interesting 

Judging from what we've seen on the field, I'd say not, physically. Now maybe he wasn't quick to pick up the mental aspects of playing LB, that's something we fans can't know. Just looking at how he moves, his agility and ability to change directions quickly, it's hard to imagine that we have several LB's that are physically more well suited to the job.

18 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I'd make that conclusion.....don't usually move a guy unless you are trying to find the best way to get him on the field. 

And wonder if he or the coaches were influenced by the LBs that have committed lately?  

And of course he is not gone until he is actually gone.....so guess we should wait and see what happens...

Yeah that’s my conflict . It sucks potentially losing a talent like this , but part of me has to assume there were better guys at the position. I don’t think we would move a guy at DE , if he is the best at both positions, particularly if he came here to play his natural position..so I just don’t know. What I do know is he has great instinct. 

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

Judging from what we've seen on the field, I'd say not, physically. Now maybe he wasn't quick to pick up the mental aspects of playing LB, that's something we fans can't know. Just looking at how he moves, his agility and ability to change directions quickly, it's hard to imagine that we have several LB's that are physically more well suited to the job.

Agreed. Another conflict for me lol. I hope this wasn’t the case of , he is a very quality LB but he is the best option we have at DE, so let’s just move him there . 

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Agreed. Another conflict for me lol. I hope this wasn’t the case of , he is a very quality LB but he is the best option we have at DE, so let’s just move him there . 

I had assumed that Jubinor being put at DE was a temporary one year thing since we had three senior starting LB's on the team last season. (Davis, Atkinson and D. Williams) My thought was that with those guys gone Jubinor would be moved back to LB this spring practice but that wasn't done. Who knows why?

Archived