Gus being set up for failure?

aubiefifty

1 minute ago, twilli13 said:

Since your post was a video, I quoted a video. I didn't see a personal response from you specifically with the video. Since you didnt actually say anything in the post, really not sure why you took that as a personal assault on you. Again, you posted a video, so I responded with my take on it. 

i never thought it was an assault but just another gus hater wanting to argue. i have already apologized. i would like to move on.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, triangletiger said:

I think Pate makes a good point.  If you want to compete with the elite programs in college football, you have to stay ahead in the 'arms race'.  In this day and age, that means building a football facility.  Regardless of what Auburn's money people think of Gus Malzahn, you have to think long-term. To not give the coach (whoever that may be) everything he needs to compete on a level playing field with our rivals because you're afraid that coach can't succeed is tantamount to a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Give Gus everything he needs to be successful.  If, after that, he doesn't succeed, then it's on him, and we go find a new coach.  But good luck finding a top-notch coach if we demonstrate an unwillingness to do what's needed  to compete with the big boys.  

To a certain degree yes, but proven winning and NFL development is what attracts top kids. Read some of the latest articles about why recruits chose Bams over AU. The kids refer to NFL development and success of Bama. They arent saying facilities was the deciding factor. 

You people here do realize this has a lot more moving parts than just Gus. This complex isn’t and wasn’t built because of Gus 100%. I’d say it less than 35% Gus. The leadership at AU is to blame. The ex-AD is the main, then the keep it down home BOT members. People got pissed off wasting their hard earned cash to fix mistakes Jay and his band of clowns continued to make. Gus crapping the bed is the cherry on top. 

New blood and a HC with any personality and vision would get this thing built in a hurry. 

7 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

You people here do realize this has a lot more moving parts than just Gus. This complex isn’t and wasn’t built because of Gus 100%. I’d say it less than 35% Gus. The leadership at AU is to blame. The ex-AD is the main, then the keep it down home BOT members. People got pissed off wasting their hard earned cash to fix mistakes Jay and his band of clowns continued to make. Gus crapping the bed is the cherry on top. 

New blood and a HC with any personality and vision would get this thing built in a hurry. 

Is there a coach out there that has those traits and is a real possibility for AU to hire? Who? I cant think of one that isnt already married to their university for atleast a few years.

5 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

Is there a coach out there that has those traits and is a real possibility for AU to hire? Who? I cant think of one that isnt already married to their university for atleast a few years.

For top 10 money, yes I’m sure there is. 

41 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

The coach PTB alluded to in his post last week would be one.

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Who? BS?

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

Who? BS?

Do you expect any insider is going to answer that?  BS!!!

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:
1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Who? BS?

YES!  Always hoped Bo Schembechler would coach Auburn after he died!!

10 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

YES!  Always hoped Bo Schembechler would coach Auburn after he died!!

Boy that would be confusing. That's a lot of Bo's for one University to deal with. 

5 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Boy that would be confusing. That's a lot of Bo's for one University to deal with. 

AU was once RBU....now they'll be known as BoU.

3 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

AU was once RBU....now they'll be known as BoU.

My last derail (I hope). It could be our version of the 12th man. We take a walk-on every year from the student body. Has to be a guy named Bo. 

6 hours ago, gr82be said:

We tried playing Tennessee like they do. It didn't work out so well. 😟

My thinking is that when we are as good as Alabama is year in and year out our schedule wouldn't seem as difficult either. At least they are moving Georgia to earlier in the season. 

This is correct. bamr's schedule is easy because they are better than every one else to begin with. Only a handful of schools are on bamr's level.

Side note: He has very little chance this season. Our schedule is absurd. This may be his most talented team but it may not matter. I wish we could switch and have Clemson’s schedule every few years. You only have to prep for 3 games. 

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

Side note: He has very little chance this season. Our schedule is absurd. This may be his most talented team but it may not matter. I wish we could switch and have Clemson’s schedule every few years. You only have to prep for 3 games. 

I never understand that logic . If this is his most talented team , which is filled with top ten caliber players then it should matter. If the team is as talent as people claim , there is no reason they should win 8 or less games. If that is the case, it isn’t a team issue, it is a coaching issue. 

2 hours ago, DAG said:

I never understand that logic . If this is his most talented team , which is filled with top ten caliber players then it should matter. If the team is as talent as people claim , there is no reason they should win 8 or less games. If that is the case, it isn’t a team issue, it is a coaching issue. 

While I agree with you in theory; in reality, it's tough for any team to play at their top level every week.  Even Alabama and Clemson have down weeks over the course of the season.  Fortunately for them, they can usually still manage to outmatch most opponents on their schedules on talent alone.  The problem comes when you have down week against a more competitive opponent.  With the schedules that Auburn, South Carolina, Texas A&M have this year, there's less margin for error and more pitfalls to avoid. 

That being said, no coach or player should ever use difficulty of schedule as an excuse to not at least be competitive.   But we as fans can afford to be a little more charitable.

2 hours ago, triangletiger said:

While I agree with you in theory; in reality, it's tough for any team to play at their top level every week.  Even Alabama and Clemson have down weeks over the course of the season.  Fortunately for them, they can usually still manage to outmatch most opponents on their schedules on talent alone.  The problem comes when you have down week against a more competitive opponent.  With the schedules that Auburn, South Carolina, Texas A&M have this year, there's less margin for error and more pitfalls to avoid. 

That being said, no coach or player should ever use difficulty of schedule as an excuse to not at least be competitive.   But we as fans can afford to be a little more charitable.

Again, if this is his best team, 8 wins or less should not be occurring. This team gets top ten talent. The funny thing is being the king of the hill is much harder. Two things: yes Clemson and Alabama have more talent, but they also get everyone’s best shot, EVERY WEEK. It is not just about out talented people. Expectations are high. You don’t get the luxury of people being okay with have weeks off. Auburn fans don’t get that. A lot our fans, would rather be the underdog. I hear it all the time when we are ranked high in the preseason. That stuff needs to stop. Go to Texags. They aren’t whining about the schedule. In fact, a lot of their fans are happy about the move to the SEC and to face the best talent week in and week out. They are at a point where they feel they have the facilities, they have the coach, there is no reason why the can’t be SEC champions.  The funny thing is we use to look down on Clemson . Hilarious. The difference is they won win they had their most talented teams. When we had serious talent E.G. 2014,2015,2017 

We don’t jump on opportunities . We can’t get over the hump because we either lose games we AREN’T suppose to lose or we let competitive games slip away. Well, if you want to get to the Clemson or Bama status (which they haven’t always been at), you can’t consistently do things like that. 

I have been critical of of administration before but I believe that we should be concentrating on ensuring sufficient funds are around for a buyout.  If gus does not have a good year then we would need buyout money and the facility would need to probably put on hold.  If they started expending funds today for the facility then if we needed to raise money for a buyout that could be difficult.  On the other hand if gus has a good year this year (not likely in my opinion) he will be in a secure position for about 2or 3 years and a facility can be built.  But we need to get stability in the HC position one way or another before a facility should be considered.

On 6/17/2019 at 11:57 AM, AFTiger said:

Dear SEC,

How do we get the type of easy schedule as does Alabama?

Both Uat & AU played 7 common opponents last season OM/aTm/Arky/Tennessee/LSU/MSU/UGA.  

AU's record was 3-4, UAT's record was 7-0 vs the same teams.

On 6/18/2019 at 12:57 PM, triangletiger said:

Fans too in reality. And those who remember the 80's, Amen corner was a freaking badge of honor for Auburn. I don't remember a lot of complaining about Florida, Georgia and Alabama being unfair then. Yes, I know Bama wasn't the same Bama as today but hopefully my point is clear. 

46 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Fans too in reality. And those who remember the 80's, Amen corner was a freaking badge of honor for Auburn. I don't remember a lot of complaining about Florida, Georgia and Alabama being unfair then. Yes, I know Bama wasn't the same Bama as today but hopefully my point is clear. 

I don’t think most of these fans understand that the reason SEC recruitment is so high is due to the high level of competition. That’s why schools like Mississippi State, ole miss , heck even Kentucky are getting guys drafted in early rounds even though the records might not reflect. Majority of other conferences don’t have that unless you are the big dog of that conference or a blue blood school. 

35 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Full disclosure: I was not alive in the 80s.

My opinion is that some fans have become more cynical with how the path to a championship under the playoff and BCS is constructed. I know I have. There's no tangible reward now for playing that brutal schedule, it pays to be a big fish with a big name in a small (but not too small) pond. Look at the schedules of some of the teams who played in the BCS title games or have made the playoff, FSU played almost nobody in 2013, Alabama got in twice without even winning the SEC West... heck they weren't even the best team in Alabama two years ago. Oregon played one good team before they met us in the desert. Ohio State has run through a bad Big 10 more than once etc. Our people know now that Auburn can compete for championships but get mad when we see how much more difficult it is for us to get a seat at the table than some other schools. It's not an unreasonable feeling to have when we supposedly live under a college football system where everyone in the P5 is "equal."

1 minute ago, WalkingCarpet said:

My opinion is that some fans have become more cynical with how the path to a championship under the playoff and BCS is constructed. I know I have. There's no tangible reward now for playing that brutal schedule, it pays to be a big fish with a big name in a small (but not too small) pond. Look at the schedules of some of the teams who played in the BCS title games or have made the playoff, FSU played almost nobody in 2013, Alabama got in twice without even winning the SEC West... heck they weren't even the best team in Alabama two years ago. Oregon played one good team before they met us in the desert. Ohio State has run through a bad Big 10 more than once etc. Our people know now that Auburn can compete for championships but get mad when we see how much more difficult it is for us to get a seat at the table than some other schools. It's not an unreasonable feeling to have when we supposedly live under a college football system where everyone in the P5 is "equal."

Very good points throughout. The current playoff has made a NC a different animal for sure. You missed some solid Auburn teams in the 80's for sure but since 2004 you've seen 2 of the best ever. And to the point of 2017 I would have no issue with a conference runner up making the playoff if they deserve to but if you can't even win your division you have no business there in my opinion. The Georgia move will help some but Auburn is in the wild wild West and they are going to have to figure this out. I think @keesler showed earlier that we played 7 common opponents to Alabama and we were 3-4 while they were 7-0. 

11 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Can’t worry about championships until you do what you are suppose to do and beat teams you are suppose to beat. Since 2013 Auburn has gotten the benefit of a doubt plenty by the media because of the allure of the SEC. IN 2014, when the first playoff rankings came out , I believe there were three teams in the top four including Auburn. If my memory serves me correct , it was Ole Miss, Bama and Auburn. People were pissed. This was even after we loss to Mississippi State. We lose at home to the aggies with a true freshman QB then down spiral afterwards. 2015, we are hyped beyond belief. Everyone is picking us to be a playoff team and win the SEC. we have a terrible team. 2017, we are going to be the first 2 loss team in the playoffs, if we handle our business. We don’t and drop off. So no , I don’t agree with a lot of this. Yes, tOSU, Clemson, etc has easier schedules. They also have less room to mess up. Losing to Iowa Kept tOSU out of the playoffs in 2017. Now, if you are consistent , you will get the benefit of a doubt of dropping 1 game. If you are in the SEC, you arlready get the benefit of a doubt. 

Even in 2016, going into the UGA game were were #9 in the nation. The media was already hyping the Iron Bowl, even though I knew that team was very shaky. We lose to UGA, spiral down, still get a chance to play OU in the sugar bowl, with 4 losses. The schedule is a red herring. I think we need to concentrate on the games we should be winning first and foremost. 

Archived