Practice News & Notes: 8/14 (Scrimmage #2)

ellitor

39 minutes ago, DAG said:

They already had live practices in the spring.

The first spring scrimmage and what else?  Not the second scrimmage and not in practices in between that I recall.

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The team appeared to have chemistry issues the past couple of years, with JS at QB1.  Any intel on who the team wants to win the job this year, or maybe both JG and BN are supported and liked equally?

11 hours ago, 3rdgeneration said:

This here is for all of you and for the time I spent going through this thread trying to find some news about Auburn Football.

Don't you people have jobs???:lol:

Idiot Facepalm GIF

Other boards seem to be sideways too fwiw.

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

I could easily see this turning into a Chris Leak/Tim Tebow type of time share.  And I'm so ok with that that.

This can't really be a Leak Tebow situation. Leak and Tebow shared duties for 1 season. They didn't play 4 years of QB swapping.

54 minutes ago, wildlife alumni said:

How would people react if he put both on the field at the same time? Nix at QB and JG at TE/wildcat. Would be very interesting. Teams would definitely have to honor a double pass and the wildcats arm. 

I actually predicted something similar in the first play thread

33 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I think the fact that Bo has been coached by a former All-SEC QB

I get that being a coaches son really helped his development. Also being a former QB players son helped a lot. 

But if we are being fair, Patrick Nix wasn't an ALL-SEC QB. 1992 Nix was a freshman that attempted 11 total passes. No ALL-SEC there. 1993...So 1993 attempted 15 passes. No ALL-SEC QB there. Let's look at 1994. The ALL-SEC QBs were Jay Barker from Bama and Eric Zeier from UGA. So no 1994 ALL-SEC. 1995 ALL-SEC QBs were Danny Wuerffel and Peyton Manning. Then he was done. 

I love Pat Nix. Ever since he made the 4th and long pass vs Bama in 93, he will always hold a place in my heart. But don't give him accolades that he didn't earn. 

10 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

The first spring scrimmage and what else?  Not the second scrimmage and not in practices in between that I recall.

They have done live stuff in practice. Not during the media viewing periods is what's been released. I posted a link to a Justin Ferguson interview from WJOX that said that very thing. 

2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Gus gets too cute with the rotations. Don’t think he could pull that off.

Agree 100%. If Gus really thinks he is coaching for his job this year and starts rotating QB's, well good chance that Steele is the HC for the bowl game. Find you guy and play him. Give the other QB the mop up work.

5 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Agree 100%. If Gus really thinks he is coaching for his job this year and starts rotating QB's, well good chance that Steele is the HC for the bowl game. Find you guy and play him. Give the other QB the mop up work.

You don’t think using Joey in power options in short yardage situations could work a la Tebow circa 2006?

2 hours ago, auburnphan said:

I agree.  How do we even know if Joey is a good runner, when defenders are pulling up?  How do we know if either of them can take a hit and not fumble?

I get that but now is not the time to risk injury when there are only 3 schollied QBs on roster & the #3 passing is way off from 1 & 2.

28 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I posted a link to a Justin Ferguson interview from WJOX that said that very thing. 

There was no Justin in the link you posted. I meant to tell you that the other day.

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

I think the fact that Bo has been coached by a former All-SEC QB/D1 OC his whole life has a lot to do with that perception, along with the fact that he’s played that way his whole HS career. If I’m not mistaken, he started 8-12  grade. JG was never a full time starter in HS. That gives Bo several thousand reps JG hasn’t had, and it has to make him much more instinctive and intuitive on the field. I’m not inferring the coaches are considering HS success as a marker, but I am thinking that experience advantage is showing in the practices and scrimmages, even though they’re not live a lot. 

Oh I get that but many QB's fall actually pretty much if they fall it's because of the change of speed from the jump of competition. Same from college to Pro and we all say what should happen but what actually happens is pretty much unknown until you see the guys in competition. 

21 minutes ago, ellitor said:

You don’t think using Joey in power options in short yardage situations could work a la Tebow circa 2006?

I think it would be very stupid to sub in Gatewood, Nix whoever in goal line situations. Go fast and score at the goalline. Gus's has been dog crap in the redzone.

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

There was no Justin in the link you posted. I meant to tell you that the other day.

Clicking on the link took you to the WJOX podcast page. 

But this time I clicked into the Justin interview and copied it from there. This one should work. 

https://omny.fm/shows/the-roundtable-wjox/8-15-justin-ferguson

7 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I think it would be very stupid to sub in Gatewood, Nix whoever in goal line situations. Go fast and score at the goalline. Gus's has been dog crap in the redzone.

Short yardage includes more than goal line situations. Also as others have said the option run O has been much more successful in the RZ for Gus than his passing O in there most of the time.

On 8/14/2019 at 4:47 PM, ellitor said:

That's mostly last year. We're talking this year. Before today they were underwhelming by all counts.

Yes but it’s early and defense has the edge especially our present defense. My remark was to mean that I have faith after their growth last year they can become one of the best in the country this year.

3 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Clicking on the link took you to the WJOX podcast page. 

But this time I clicked into the Justin interview and copied it from there. This one should work. 

https://omny.fm/shows/the-roundtable-wjox/8-15-justin-ferguson

:cheers:

7 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Correct and this is why his lack of success. Keep moving like you have coming down the field . Don’t stop and insert new personal with the exception of a third and goal or 4th and goal from the one. On those bring in your big package and go Mano vs Mano .

29 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

This, IMO. Situational substitution that telegraphs our play calls has been part of the problem with Gus, especially in the RZ. Pick your guy and give him the whole play book (whichever position it is).

26 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Short yardage includes more than goal line situations. Also as others have said the option run O has been much more successful in the RZ for Gus than his passing O in there most of the time.

Anything that puts Malzahn into a place where he has to dictate the line of scrimmage is going to be a challenge regardless of who is under center. His offense relies on trickery. When Gatewood comes in, the defense knows where the ball is going and Malzahn rarely options away from the obvious at those times. As for passing in the red zone, we seem to struggle with any sort of intermediate passing. 

Everybody needs to remember Bo hasn’t been under live fire yet. I know he went live against our defense but that’s not the same. Other defenses will be a lot more aggressive. Not saying he can’t do it just saying he might need time to adjust. Remember the difference in JJ once every thing was put in his shoulder . This is not high school . The game is a lot faster and meaner than anything Bo has seen to this point including fall practice. Be patient I think we have two very good options let it play out. My guess is we will go into Oregon game with a 1A and a 1B instead of a 1 and 2 per say .

12 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Everybody needs to remember Bo hasn’t been under live fire yet. I know he went live against our defense but that’s not the same. Other defenses will be a lot more aggressive. Not saying he can’t do it just saying he might need time to adjust. Remember the difference in JJ once every thing was put in his shoulder . This is not high school . The game is a lot faster and meaner than anything Bo has seen to this point including fall practice. Be patient I think we have two very good options let it play out. My guess is we will go into Oregon game with a 1A and a 1B instead of a 1 and 2 per say .

Can't stress it enough.....when you're not live you don't play full speed. This is the part where people that have played know but if you just try to go buy theory you don't get it

i am just thankful we have  great qb's to fall back on. in the past if one got hurt it was mostly season over.

New video from the Late Kick. Josh Pate starts with Auburn. 

At around the 9:00 minute mark, Josh makes a point that a few of us have been saying... @aujeff11 looks like Josh agrees with us as well about the competition...

@passthebiscuits coming in at midnight dropping bombs.  

Bo’s dad had a pretty athletic Qb play goal line situations for him back in the day.  I have no doubt you’ll see Joey play more than short yardage situations.  

1 minute ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

New video from the Late Kick. Josh Pate starts with Auburn. 

At around the 9:00 minute mark, Josh makes a point that a few of us have been saying... @aujeff11 looks like Josh agrees with us as well about the competition...

Who is Josh Pate? The only Pate I know with any credibility on AU is Rob Pate.

Archived