Practice News & Notes: 8/14 (Scrimmage #2)

ellitor

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

PTB said there was an injury today. So whoever it is - is having the MRI because of today's injury

That's at least how it read to me

Not exactly what he said, besides practice was scheduled to be later today around 3 PM.

I’m more confused now!  🤷‍♂️ 

11 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Can confirm. No starters. Previous injury. No new imaging today, (my error) everybody call off the dogs. 

Wait for reports. 

Thanks PTB.

18 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

I understand what you mean but let’s not pray for anyone to be injured over anyone else. 

Not praying for anyone to be injured over anyone else. I was stating I am praying it is in reference to an injury already known.

16 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Can confirm. No starters. Previous injury. No new imaging today, (my error) everybody call off the dogs. 

Good news about it only being a previous injury. Never like to see these guys get hurt, but glad it's not a new one.

14 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

tenor.gif

That was a roller coaster ride there for a little while!

21 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

No problem, PTB, we all make errors.  Thanks for the insight that you share with us. 

I think this should be a wake up call to us all. This season could be good, but it could turn on a dime with a single injury. Gus had better learn his lesson and not let the cupboard get bare again with OL recruiting. I don't remember a year in which one injury to the OL could be so impactful. I am certain there have been years like that, I just don't remember having as much angst. 

7 hours ago, auburnphan said:

The first spring scrimmage and what else?  Not the second scrimmage and not in practices in between that I recall.

Do you need several to validate what you see? 

https://auburn.rivals.com/news/t-d-moultry-s-maturity-competitiveness-wowing-coaches-at-fall-camp

Auburn has seen this movie before.

T.D. Moultry had a phenomenal offseason last year, according to his coaches. The 

former top-100 recruit out of Jackson-Olin in Birmingham entered the season ready to be one of Auburn's primary pass-rushers from the Buck end position.

But immediately in the opener against Washington, the penalty troubles began to pile up. He was flagged for offsides and received a roughing-the-passer call against the Huskies.

From there, Moultry got in his own head.

“Really, T.D. last year coming out of spring had an unbelievable spring," Auburn defensive line coach Rodney Garner said at Thursday's assistant coach media day, "and then right off the box in the Washington game, he had those two penalties and sort of took a dip."

As Moultry declined, 2018 team sack leader Nick Coe began to take charge as Auburn's go-to pass-rusher at the Buck position. Moultry never worked his way back up and finished the season with 2.5 tackles for loss.

With a clean slate now heading into his junior campaign, Moultry is picking himself up and maturing as a leader and a player. 

“I think T.D.’s gotten back to the old T.D.," Garner said. "... We just got to be guarded that we don’t take that dip again. I think he had a really good offseason. I think he had a good spring. I think he’s had a good fall camp. Obviously, we got to put all that together, and we’ve got to learn how to not allow one bad play to turn into two, turn into three, because the next thing you know, you got a bad game, and just that mental toughness and being able to fight through adversity, because you’re going to have adversity. That’s part of the game.”

Garner utilizes seven to eight linemen in multiple different packages, so Auburn obviously relies on more than just the four starters. Coe or defensive end Marlon Davidson can move inside on money downs, and end Big Kat Bryant can float as a QB spy in Auburn's third down "Rabbits" package.

That leaves Moultry, who rarely worked as anything but a hands-on-knees linebacker in high school, as the most pure pass-rusher of the unit.

Cr29rtdud2tmqm5bgm5h

Moultry (55) drags down Kellen Mond (11) during Auburn vs. Texas A&M in 2017. (Todd Van Emst/Auburn athletics)

“T.D.’s really had a good camp," Auburn defensive coordinator Kevin Steele said Thursday. "He’s had a very, very good camp. You know, T.D. is highly competitive. Highly competitive spirit. He’s physical and he can run. ... He had never played the position in his life, and so it’s just maturity.”

Some thought Moultry might be forced to move to Auburn's linebackers room as the talent in front of him along the defensive line continued to rise. Auburn nearly did the same three years ago with Jeff Holland, another former linebacker whom the Tigers tried to mold into an end.

Instead, Garner and Steele focused on Holland's fundamentals and hand skills heading into his third year with the defense — just as they're doing now with Moultry. Holland then became Auburn's third-down nightmare from the Buck spot, ranking second in the SEC in sacks in 2017.

"Because of his size, sometimes his play is not — I won’t say unorthodox, but he does things a little bit differently than, say, a guy that’s a Nick Coe body," Steel said. "But he is powerfully strong and he is very, very quick, and he’s highly competitive. He has, in fall camp, been very noticeable in play-making.”

Maturity and confidence..just like I said.

Lets see what he can do this year. 

7 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Good night...How is this thread 30 pages now?

Great entertaining summary through page 26...

The last few pages were a false alarm scare on what was thought to be a new OL injury.

I heard Cord looked surprisingly well.    I wonder if Gus could....rotate 3 ?   

Just kidding,  it's Friday's follies.

15 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Whatever mikey

Good one. You are harping about going live and look at the response over a potential injury. Yet, you want to put our QBs at harms way. That is super logical. Must be why the NFL teams do it. Oh wait they don’t. Two weeks before the 1st game. No need for it. 

13 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Good night...How is this thread 30 pages now?

giphy.gif

Archived