Practice News & Notes: 8/14 (Scrimmage #2)

ellitor

Does anyone see Gatewood staying around if he's not the #1…

Does anyone see Bo not being the best QB?

I just get the feeling it's going to be a 2 QB system, and Gatewood wi lleventually get phased out completely.

Honest questions.

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

Does anyone see Gatewood staying around if he's not the #1…

FWIW as far as I can tell any opinion given on that would be a guess. I haven't seen any info one way or the other potentially on the matter.

13 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

Does anyone see Bo not being the best QB?

There is definitely a scenario where he MAY not be, at least potentially not for this team right now. If Joey is a beast when he's live plus his intangibles, it would be hard to beat.

16 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

I just get the feeling it's going to be a 2 QB system, and Gatewood wi lleventually get phased out completely.

I don't see that happening at all as long as he wants to be here. At the very worst his physicality in short yardage situations would be too good to pass up.

Talked with an assistant coach tonight:

Bo has impressed with his “ability to improvise and keep technique even under duress, throw with accuracy, and master the offense.” It’s more of a testimony of how good Nix has played than an indictment on JG. Gatewood should and will get “plenty of touches.” 

Coaches still like JGs leadership and think he is “almost unstoppable inside the 10.”

I’m thinking about a 80:20 split for Bo/JG at this point. 

5 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Bo has impressed with his “ability to improvise and keep technique even under duress, throw with accuracy, and master the offense.” It’s more of a testimony of how good Nix has played than an indictment on JG. Gatewood should and will get “plenty of touches.” 

Coaches still like JGs leadership and think he is “almost unstoppable inside the 10.”

You are the man as always. Sounds like we two elite QBs and will be in good hands either way. Do you think they will officially announce the starting QB soon? 

57 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

“ability to improvise and keep technique even under duress

This is huuuuuuuge

So...I had some inside info about two weeks ago that Gus had already approached JG and told him that he was one and Bo was two.

Im led to believe that Bo has surpassed expectations and his accuracy, rhythm, arm strength and athleticism is so good that it’s hard to pass him up. As far as time-table, I’m expecting official word at week-end  and I think JG will stay if he thinks there will be sufficient opportunities...at least until the end of the year . 

2 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

So...I had some inside info about two weeks ago that Gus had already approached JG and told him that he was one and Bo was two.

Im led to believe that Bo has surpassed expectations and his accuracy, rhythm, arm strength and athleticism is so good that it’s hard to pass him up. As far as time-table, I’m expecting official word at week-end  and I think JG will stay if he thinks there will be sufficient opportunities...at least until the end of the year . 

So the tables have turned as of now? Be glad when this is finally over.

4 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Once again you come through in the freaking clutch for everyone on here PTB and remind us why you are THE GOAT!!! Thank you so much for the info. Really really appreciate it!!! WAR DAMN!!! I think however it shakes out we are in great hands. If Joey G is indeed just a situational guy I think he can be a superior version of the BellDozer QB at Oklahoma from a few years ago who they brought in in the RZ and for any short yardage situation. I think Joey G can easily get double digit rushing touchdowns alone just being our goal line and 10 yard line and in QB.

er.jpg

2 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

PTB is always so good to us insomniacs lol. I guess my only concern with playing two QBs is that we might lose our rhythm by subbing inside the red zone. But I guess we will see

I am fine with it because I am resigned to the fact after watching 6 years of Gus as a head coach and what he draws up in the RZ that we are way better off just using Joey G legs than Bo's arm in the RZ because Gus schemes when it comes to passing in the RZ leave a lot to be desired. I will take our chances by trying to run it in. Catch the defense off guard every now and then and have Joey sling it for a easy wide open touchdown as well.

2 hours ago, DAG said:

This is huuuuuuuge

This is what I saw in high school that made me predict Bo. I think Joey can develop into a stud. I certainly think we can use him enough to keep him happy. You never know how things play out. He might be needed sooner rather than later. He’s in a good spot. 

3 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

PTB is always so good to us insomniacs lol. I guess my only concern with playing two QBs is that we might lose our rhythm by subbing inside the red zone. But I guess we will see

It’s the style of play Gus should’ve adopted years ago. The offense has, when it hasn’t been too disjointed, looked better with a running option in the red zone versus a passer. Even with Jeremy, just due to the fact you had to respect he could bowl over a guy for 3-4 yards, he outperformed White in that specific area. 

Gus’s play designs just tend to not lend themselves to working down there 

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

I could easily see this turning into a Chris Leak/Tim Tebow type of time share.  And I'm so ok with that that.

Gus gets too cute with the rotations. Don’t think he could pull that off.

5 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

That first quote is everything, and that's football. That's what I was saying saying this entire time it comes down to, so now I'm confused on how that's really seen when you don't go live and you know you're not going to be hit. I'll have to trust the coaches but of course that's what I'm going to be looking at and to me the QB won't be decided until a few games now.....which isstupid to me but we'll see

And honestly... I hope if Joey is close as a passer as I think he is that he transfers and gets his own shot. 

We all can thank Patrick Nix for developing Bo.  Hopefully he will continue to develop him.   Joey just needs reps.  The time share in high school slowed his development immensely, but also showed what a loyal and dedicated teammate he was.  Now he will have a real decision to make about his future, he has my full support and I will be a phan forever.

Thanks for the info, PTB. 

Like others have said, there is really no way to know who the “real” starter will be until they play some live ball. All I know is that I’ll pull like hell for whoever is back there taking snaps.

7 minutes ago, cole256 said:

That first quote is everything, and that's football. That's what I was saying saying this entire time it comes down to, so now I'm confused on how that's really seen when you don't go live and you know you're not going to be hit. I'll have to trust the coaches but of course that's what I'm going to be looking at and to me the QB won't be decided until a few games now.....which isstupid to me but we'll see

I agree.  How do we even know if Joey is a good runner, when defenders are pulling up?  How do we know if either of them can take a hit and not fumble?

18 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

And honestly... I hope if Joey is close as a passer as I think he is that he transfers and gets his own shot. 

I think someone should adjust the lyrics to The Monkees “I’m a Believer” for you.  It is only right for the President of the Joey G FC.

How would people react if he put both on the field at the same time? Nix at QB and JG at TE/wildcat. Would be very interesting. Teams would definitely have to honor a double pass and the wildcats arm. 

46 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

I agree.  How do we even know if Joey is a good runner, when defenders are pulling up?  How do we know if either of them can take a hit and not fumble?

They already had live practices in the spring.

6 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

This has been my feeling on it for awhile now, too. 

Gus & co. were definitely expecting it to be Joey, but he had some inconsistencies passing early on in camp, especially with the shorter throws and reading the defense. That's not a knock on Joey, it's like the first day of class after summer break, you gotta get back in the everyday routine.

In my estimation, the competition has drug on this long to give Joey more opportunities to light it up.

Now from numerous accounts, Bo showed up to camp with his hair on fire. I believe everyone could tell he has an acumen for the game. 

The actual announcement from Gus will be interesting. I still think it could go either way. Both will definitely play, and we will likely need both to get where we want to go anyways.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I think the fact that Bo has been coached by a former All-SEC QB/D1 OC his whole life has a lot to do with that perception, along with the fact that he’s played that way his whole HS career. If I’m not mistaken, he started 8-12  grade. JG was never a full time starter in HS. That gives Bo several thousand reps JG hasn’t had, and it has to make him much more instinctive and intuitive on the field. I’m not inferring the coaches are considering HS success as a marker, but I am thinking that experience advantage is showing in the practices and scrimmages, even though they’re not live a lot. 

Archived