Things I Think I Saw: AU vs Oregon

JMR

23 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Nice. I look forward to this each week!

I was impressed with the way the defense responded after being on their heels the first part of the game. Truesdell and McClain combined for the big stop on 4th down. TT pushed his man back and the slanting enabled McClain to fill the gap. Huge play in the game. 

As for the offense, when Gus says we have to surround the freshman with good , that is also with coaching. He needs experience and good playcalling. Not giving him easy throws hurt him and Gus got conservative as usual when the opposing defense was cashing in on the run. We ran them to death towards the end but also Boobie as well. I loved the last three offensive playcalls though, and you have to go to the endzone when no one is expecting it, Oregon brought pressure but Nix stepped up in the pocket and gave our big WR a chance. If the DB Knocks it out, we still can kick the FG. Good call by Gus. Trust the QB and trust himself. Hope to see more of that.

I fully agree...in years past, on the pass the on 3rd down for the first to the sideline would have been an 8 yard route last year. And of course, the TD pass when UO was fully expecting a field goal "setup" also was against past CGM tendencies. Hoping to see many more breaks from tendencies.

• Like 2

Coach, I think I saw a lot of the same things you saw.  I am not sure Gus's play calling got a lot better later though.  Part of my complaints since Gus has been here is the personnel, formation and motions sometimes dictate the play called.  Many times I can call the play by those.  So I'm positive that DCs who know much more than me can prepare  the defense for that. Otherwise, your analysis is spot on. 

• Like 4

Agreed with almost everything you stated. 

Do you write off some of the bad play/execution to first game/on the road jitters or what?

The Delta from OU Dominating to AU Dominating the OL and DL: What did you see as the factor? Physicality? Adjustments? Jitters/Confidence?

I think we are much better once we settled down. If we live up close to potential we could go very far this year. 

Edited by DKW 86

Do you write off some of the bad play/execution to first game/on the road jitters or what?

The Delta from OU Dominating to AU Dominating the OL and DL: What did you see as the factor? Physicality? Adjustments? Jitters/Confidence?

I'd attribute the difference to a couple of things. One is, AU was in better physical condition. Oregon was struggling with fatigue, cramps, etc., while Auburn was able to keep going, especially on the offensive and defensive lines. Another is adjustments, especially defensively. Oregon's early plan was to attack outside the tackles.....Our young linebackers had some poor run-fits early that really hurt us vs the run. Those got corrected, and after that, Oregon struggled to run the ball effectively. Lots of Oregon's early plays were RPOs, and Herbert's reads said "throw", which he did quickly and effectively, thus somewhat neutralizing Auburn's DL. Lastly, several AU defensive linemen were playing multiple positions early (Brown, Coe, Davidson), and there were some mis-alignments that also hurt. Once all that got fixed/corrected, Auburn's superior DL took over.

Edited by JMR
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, around4ever said:

Coach, I think I saw a lot of the same things you saw.  I am not sure Gus's play calling got a lot better later though.  Part of my complaints since Gus has been here is the personnel, formation and motions sometimes dictate the play called.  Many times I can call the play by those.  So I'm positive that DCs who know much more than me can prepare  the defense for that. Otherwise, your analysis is spot on. 

Agree with you 100% on the personal stuff. Like never letting Schwartz run anything but speed sweeps and deep posts so the defense knows exactly what’s happening when he steps on the field.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coltonspain24 said:

Agree with you 100% on the personal stuff. Like never letting Schwartz run anything but speed sweeps and deep posts so the defense knows exactly what’s happening when he steps on the field.

Swartz didn’t play but 1 play that I remember.

2 hours ago, JMR said:

I'd attribute the difference to a couple of things. One is, AU was in better physical condition. Oregon was struggling with fatigue, cramps, etc., while Auburn was able to keep going, especially on the offensive and defensive lines. Another is adjustments, especially defensively. Oregon's early plan was to attack outside the tackles.....Our young linebackers had some poor run-fits early that really hurt us vs the run. Those got corrected, and after that, Oregon struggled to run the ball effectively. Lots of Oregon's early plays were RPOs, and Herbert's reads said "throw", which he did quickly and effectively, thus somewhat neutralizing Auburn's DL. Lastly, several AU defensive linemen were playing multiple positions early (Brown, Coe, Davidson), and there were some mis-alignments that also hurt. Once all that got fixed/corrected, Auburn's superior DL took over.

Thanks for that update.  Could you elaborate more on the O-line performance.  In your analysis, you put a lot of the "pressures" and line play on Nix not getting them into the right alignment to block (and backs whiffing).  How do you rate the line vs last year at this time or just in general.   If more of the issues were "calls"; then that is encouraging and is easier to correct as Nix gains experience.  It just seemed like relatively few holes were to be had over the course of the game; even some of Whitlow's 9 yard gains in the 2H were him being a bull; not effective blocking.  It is clear Whitlow can run behind this line if given the ball enough...his patience, ability to bounce around and find a seam and ultimately power is very different from the other guys. 

5 hours ago, Coltonspain24 said:

4 hours ago, toddc said:

Swartz didn’t play but 1 play that I remember.

he means ' in general'.   Gus runs packages and thus tips his hand.  I agree and  I hate this.   Good defensive coaches spot this stuff immediately.  That is why Jeremy Pruitt was hollerin' and calling our plays last yr in the Tenn game.   How did that turn out?   Yeah, the same Tenn program that lost to a 2-9 Ga State team last week.  Packages cost us that game (convince me I am wrong).

Coach the players so they are more versatile and less specialized.  

Edited by Beaker
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Coach!

Reference: “I'm hopeful that we will get Joey Gatewood some genuine playing time in these next couple of games”

I know Gus is always torn between getting a young quarterbacks as many snaps as possible, which means the back-up won’t get as many quality reps. Just wondering (in our current situation) your thoughts on which is more important?

It was really nice seeing some of the formerly injured D linemen in the game some. We will need them before the season is over.

6 hours ago, Beaker said:

he means ' in general'.   Gus runs packages and thus tips his hand.  I agree and  I hate this.   Good defensive coaches spot this stuff immediately.  That is why Jeremy Pruitt was hollerin' and calling our plays last yr in the Tenn game.   How did that turn out?   Yeah, the same Tenn program that lost to a 2-9 Ga State team last week.  Packages cost us that game (convince me I am wrong).

Coach the players so they are more versatile and less specialized.  

Yes I mean just in general thank you for the assist lol. They handcuffed Ryan Davis the same way instead of continuing to run those slants and drag routes. Those disappeared in 2017 after the Alabama game. Like you said gotta do something different with them and be versatile with the play calling if just to make the defense think twice lol.

• Like 3

On 9/3/2019 at 2:23 PM, AU-24 said:

Thanks Coach!

Reference: “I'm hopeful that we will get Joey Gatewood some genuine playing time in these next couple of games”

I know Gus is always torn between getting a young quarterbacks as many snaps as possible, which means the back-up won’t get as many quality reps. Just wondering (in our current situation) your thoughts on which is more important?

I'm thinking we see Bo Nix for 3 quarters this week and let Joey finish the game out. A lot of issues early in the game could be attributed to timing - game speed plus knowing your receivers, so I think they'll try to get Bo as many reps as possible (unless we put up 42 in the first half).

Definitely want Gatewood in there in the 4th at least - and passing the ball around too - just to keep him primed if we happen to need him for more than just a sneaky QB keeper at the goal line. :)

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Linayus said:

I'm thinking we see Bo Nix for 3 quarters this week and let Joey finish the game out. A lot of issues early in the game could be attributed to timing - game speed plus knowing your receivers, so I think they'll try to get Bo as many reps as possible (unless we put up 42 in the first half).

Definitely want Gatewood in there in the 4th at least - and passing the ball around too - just to keep him primed if we happen to need him for more than just a sneaky QB keeper at the goal line. :)

Let's be real - if Stidham went down last year, we probably don't win another game, based on what we saw of M Willis' and his throwing the ball.  

NOW is the time to develop both with the lionshare going to Bo of course.  

Player development on the O side!  One of my 3 biggest pet peeves. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Let's be real - if Stidham went down last year, we probably don't win another game, based on what we saw of M Willis' and his throwing the ball.  

NOW is the time to develop both with the lionshare going to Bo of course.  

Player development on the O side!  One of my 3 biggest pet peeves. 

For sure! QB depth was a huge liability and still is to an extent. O-line depth is even scarier to me so I'd love to get those backups time on the field over the next 2 weeks.

• Like 1

Good take on some little things that to most folks go unseen. We need D.J. Williams healthy. He is a great reliever for Boobie.