Honorable Mentions - Oregon Game

AUght2win

I want to do a series of threads after each game that highlights performances or big plays that may have gone unnoticed. We had several in the Oregon game. Feel free to share any observations you have, they don't have to be wholesale positive.

1. Christian Tutt - this guy is a stud. All the talk of Smoke Monday and Sherwood, Tutt gets overlooked as a young talent in the secondary. He was glued to receivers all night. Sure tackler. Had a crucial tackle when he turned Verdell for a flip in the open field. Also perfectly covered the combo out route late in the game, which resulted in a sack. Not a bad returner either. With his length, I honestly believe he can be the best coverage guy we have.

2. Tyrone Truesdell - I bet you thought it was Derrick Brown who led the push to stuff Oregon on 4th down. It wasn't. It was Trues. Tyrone looks like a monster up front. He came up with some big time plays Saturday, including a sack.

3. Jack Driscoll - I think he's taken a huge step forward. He moved people all night. Our biggest runs came off the right side, including Stove and Whitlow's big gainers. 

4. No Pass Interference Penalties - this is a stat, which is kudos to the entire secondary, but I don't believe we had a single pass interference call Saturday. It's been a hallmark of the past few seasons for our defense to commit crucial PI penalties to keep drives alive for opponents. Carlton and Dean had big problems with this, and it's a big reason we lost the LSU game in 18. It's impressive we were able to correct this area, especially in the first game against a pass-heavy team. 

Tutt was a beast,  as was KJ Britt and the other young LBs once they settled in. I feel like the more they bond the tougher this D will get.

I  opened this thread to mention Tutt as well but he has been covered. Our linebackers, Wooten, Britt, McClain, and Pappoe all had big plays. Even Pappoe knocking knees with Herbert was a big play. It kept Herbert from being in there on the 4th down stop late in the 4th quarter.

I was most impressed with the secondary and LBs equally. I wasn't worried about our DL and I still am not. I had some reserves about the LBs (inexperience) and the secondary as a whole. With the exception of LBs being in bad position on run fits early in the game I was blown away with the entire group. With the exception of the two blown coverage plays early in the game, and LBs may have been involved as well, I was blown away with secondary. Only other play was J.D. getting tossed like a rag doll and not going for the ball on that TD pass they had. He had good coverage on him though. This Defense is legit. I been saying all year that the LBs would be a strength by week 6....I may move that prediction up. I thought secondary improved alot more than I expected. My unsung Heroes.

Bo Nix- Not because of his run on 4th and 3. Not because of his Game winning TD pass to Seth Williams. I am listing him because of the way he escaped pressure. Jarret Stidham would have been sacked 10-12 times. BN  kept the play alive. The biggest thing he did was throw the ball away. That is something that not many young QBs will do. He still has a lot to learn but I love this kid.

Sal Canella - Sal's hands seem much improved. Hopefully he is the weapon we always thought he could be. He also looked improved on his perimeter blocking. 

Coynis Miller, DaQuan Newkirk, Derek Hall, and anyone else that played on the DL in substitution. This gave our starters rest with little drop off. same with everybody that came in on the secondary.

Daniel Thomas- finally knocked the guy out of bounds on that punt return they almost took to the house. That is the only play I can shake my head at Dinson for. He had an angle it appeared and just whiffed. 

T-will- Need I say more....

I like this thread. I will definitely contribute myself to this every week if you do this. I will try my best to not replicate any of your OP choices (which were spot on)

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

I want to do a series of threads after each game that highlights performances or big plays that may have gone unnoticed. We had several in the Oregon game. Feel free to share any observations you have, they don't have to be wholesale positive.

1. Christian Tutt - this guy is a stud. All the talk of Smoke Monday and Sherwood, Tutt gets overlooked as a young talent in the secondary. He was glued to receivers all night. Sure tackler. Had a crucial tackle when he turned Verdell for a flip in the open field. Also perfectly covered the combo out route late in the game, which resulted in a sack. Not a bad returner either. With his length, I honestly believe he can be the best coverage guy we have.

2. Tyrone Truesdell - I bet you thought it was Derrick Brown who led the push to stuff Oregon on 4th down. It wasn't. It was Trues. Tyrone looks like a monster up front. He came up with some big time plays Saturday, including a sack.

3. Jack Driscoll - I think he's taken a huge step forward. He moved people all night. Our biggest runs came off the right side, including Stove and Whitlow's big gainers. 

4. No Pass Interference Penalties - this is a stat, which is kudos to the entire secondary, but I don't believe we had a single pass interference call Saturday. It's been a hallmark of the past few seasons for our defense to commit crucial PI penalties to keep drives alive for opponents. Carlton and Dean had big problems with this, and it's a big reason we lost the LSU game in 18. It's impressive we were able to correct this area, especially in the first game against a pass-heavy team. 

Looking back, on your #4, I think there were 3 that could have been called on Oregon on that last drive alone. Which was a little frustrating seeing as we didn’t get that same kind of “being physical” treatment when we played LSU last year, or any game really lol. But you’re 100% correct, it was definitely great to see that against a team that threw it as much as Oregon. 

I thought one of the key plays that may go unnoticed came in the winning drive when FB/HB/TE Spencer Nigh, all 267 lbs. of him, caught that 9 yard pass. That wasn't expected by Oregon or anybody else and it turned out to be a key play. Props to Spencer for making a solid catch to keep the drive alive. Also props to Bo for making a good read and solid throw.

Spencer Nigh he has that clutch catch and he also ran over last years #1 recruit Thibodeax on a backside block that I personally noticed

Big Kat is another. He had that fumble recovery and also had half a sack 

My play of the game was the 1st TD throw by Nix to Stove. The awareness to see the uh-oh moment by the Oregon D and make that quick pass was a veteran move!

Did ya'll see the hustle by Tutt to try and help Big Kat get into the endzone on the scoop....He took care of two guys ....Big Kat said he thought he had it after that and never saw the guy come from behind.

How about this for an honorable mention play. When Pappoe knocked knees with Herbert. Critical point in the game. Owen didn't spear or fly in like 99.99% of freshmen linebackers would have, resulting in a roughing call. Instead, he made good contact but made sure to hold up. Even tried to catch Herbert from falling. Huuuuuuge heady play to avoid the personal foul there. 

54 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Did ya'll see the hustle by Tutt to try and help Big Kat get into the endzone on the scoop....He took care of two guys ....Big Kat said he thought he had it after that and never saw the guy come from behind.

I was terrified BK was gonna get Leon Letted by the receiver that came out of nowhere. Great job holding onto the rock!

29 minutes ago, tigerchris said:

I remember someone saying that Bo Nix getting sacked was his first since junior year.  If true, that’s impressive. 

Yes, I read he was only sacked 4 times at Pinson Valley(6a) and those were all in his junior year. He played at Scottsdale(5a) his sophomore year but im not sure about his stats at that school.

48 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I was terrified BK was gonna get Leon Letted by the receiver that came out of nowhere. Great job holding onto the rock!

Yes same here....it was clear he didn't know he was there!!!!! I was yelling at the TV COVER THE BALL!!!!!

18 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

I  opened this thread to mention Tutt as well but he has been covered. Our linebackers, Wooten, Britt, McClain, and Pappoe all had big plays. Even Pappoe knocking knees with Herbert was a big play. It kept Herbert from being in there on the 4th down stop late in the 4th quarter.

That knee-knock may have been the play of the game. 

6 minutes ago, fishepa said:

That knee-knock may have been the play of the game. 

I was waiting for the flag for a late hit.  It never came.  It did waste a Time Out and stopped the clock.  It could have been the play of the game.

26 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I was waiting for the flag for a late hit.  It never came.  It did waste a Time Out and stopped the clock.  It could have been the play of the game.

Two time outs I think.

20 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Good thread. 

#4, no PI called on us.  This was a non SEC officiating crew.  They didn't get the message that Auburn DBs always commit PI fouls. 

22 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Most AU fans would argue the PI calls in the LSU game were horse crap penalties, but I do agree that PI has been a problem with our secondary over the years. Nice to see they didn't let that happen. I also don't think the secondary did too bad of a job in coverage. There were about 4-5 throws that Oregon receivers caught in heavy traffic. Herbert is very good and very accurate, and you could tell that on Saturday when he was fitting it into those windows.

Archived