Our running backs hop on run plays

AdamsHouseCat

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Awesome, thanks. Will be curious to read your findings. 

Just a quick check...

Didnt see it with Memphis in the AAC championship game in 2018. Although I didn’t see any plays with the RB in motion. I checked our 2019 opener against Oregon and also do NOT see us hopping before a run play, but also we didn’t motion the RB from one side or the other. Most of the motion was from the Hback. 

Im gonna go out on the limb and say that motion is a key and establishes timing of the snap. The RB motioning from one side of the QB to another likely uses the hop to sync the timing to be in time at the mesh point. Didn’t motion or use much H back in run support (Nigh #99) from what I remember. I think it was just a coincidence that the highlight vid was on those plays. That being said, you could key on it, but we change our snap count from time to time especially for big games and that visual may be used to influence a defense as well.

Still need to watch more though. Just hard to do at work lmao.

1 minute ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

Just a quick check...

Didnt see it with Memphis in the AAC championship game in 2018. Although I didn’t see any plays with the RB in motion. I checked our 2019 opener against Oregon and also do NOT see us hopping before a run play, but also we didn’t motion the RB from one side or the other. Most of the motion was from the Hback. 

Im gonna go out on the limb and say that motion is a key and establishes timing of the snap. The RB motioning from one side of the QB to another likely uses the hop to sync the timing to be in time at the mesh point. Didn’t motion or use much H back in run support (Nigh #99) from what I remember. I think it was just a coincidence that the highlight vid was on those plays. That being said, you could key on it, but we change our snap count from time to time especially for big games and that visual may be used to influence a defense as well.

Still need to watch more though. Just hard to do at work lmao.

Get your affairs in order and finish the drill, son! Lol, thanks man. I'm sure there's some good rationale behind it, but I'll be looking more closely this week. 

29 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Get your affairs in order and finish the drill, son! Lol, thanks man. I'm sure there's some good rationale behind it, but I'll be looking more closely this week. 

I remember when Chandler Cox would motion, he liked doing a rapid foot stutter step once he motioned to his new spot. It’s gotta be a timing thing.

16 hours ago, AdamsHouseCat said:

Take a look at Arkansas highlights.  Hop = run.  No hop = pass.

I did, you watch it again. We hopped on the slant to Schwartz to the 5.

2 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

I hope we are not teaching that.  We do hop  a lot more often on Run plays.   If they are being taught to hop on run plays, they should hop every play.  I mean,  it cant hurt to hop on a pass pay can it?

i said a hip hop the hippie the hippie
to the hip hip hop, a you dont stop
the rock it to the bang bang boogie say up jumped the boogie
to the rhythm of the boogie, the beat

source (1).gif

1 hour ago, api1957 said:

I did, you watch it again. We hopped on the slant to Schwartz to the 5.

I was watching a recording of the game while reading this thread. Ive seen several contradictions that assume hop = run. Im not saying there isnt a pattern but that by itself isnt the pattern. We've been hopping for years and I would like to know the reasoning behind it.

Even Michael Dyer hopped before the snap.  It's a motion thing.  If they're not the last one in motion, I'm pretty sure they don't hop.  This has been a Gus staple since he's been at Auburn.

Side note, I've never noticed if there was hopping at Arky, Tulsa or Arky St.

2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Even Michael Dyer hopped before the snap.  It's a motion thing.  If they're not the last one in motion, I'm pretty sure they don't hop.  This has been a Gus staple since he's been at Auburn.

Side note, I've never noticed if there was hopping at Arky, Tulsa or Arky St.

No kidding? How are so many of us just noticing this? Lol. Crowdsourcing, I guess. Weird. 

Archived