How has Gus split the fan base?

GwillMac6

1 hour ago, selias said:

Mikey and AU64. I think abw still has his Gus Bus ticket too

The energy those 3 burn through to cover and gloss over this HC is remarkable.  It's almost like the Malzhan family's been paying 'em to literally act like a cat in a litter box for years now.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Wait, some of you didn't attend or graduate from Auburn? Ew. 

ShallowFlawedAbyssiniancat-size_restricted.gif

9 minutes ago, keesler said:

He is HERE for his offense, he is paid a King's ransom for his offense.  

I have said for many years, the man is in over his head for a job of this level in this conference.  He knows he will never have a position like this ever again.

He doubled down on himself, he is all in this season.  So far what we've seen is the same ol stuff from him.  People wanted to believe, they wanted the change he promised.  

Agree with you Kessler,  During the offseasons I never believed that Gus taking back the playcalling would do anything because I saw Gus playcalling in 2015 up till the time he gave it up.  I just gave up back then that we would ever use quick slants or our running backs when defenses blitzed but every time we would run 10 to 15 yard routes and our quarterback running for his life or getting sacked.  Plays where we dont use the entire field or bellying it into the back instead of quick hand offs when our offensive line is weak.

I'd like to see a graphic on how poorly Gus has utilized the field like the red dots on a basketball court that show where shots are taken from. 

We could show passes and runs and where on the field they were targeted.  No doubt, that straight up the middle and down the sidelines would dominate, and there would be precious few dots between the hashes. Not too tough to defend when the D can guess run up the middle on first down and be right 90% of the time and only have to guard the outer edges on pass routes with few exceptions. Drives me nuts. 

47 minutes ago, keesler said:

The energy those 3 burn through to cover and gloss over this HC is remarkable.  It's almost like the Malzhan family's been paying 'em to literally act like a cat in a litter box for years now.

Our not-so-new kitten is all up in this in our particular life season...and I just spit what I was not drinking right out. 🤣 I really needed this image today!

3 hours ago, Viper said:

You mean there are folks STILL on the bus??

2 hours ago, selias said:

Mikey and AU64. I think abw still has his Gus Bus ticket too

I am, yes.  I explained in the Garewood thread why about 45 minutes ago if you want to know why.  There are a lot of others too but they are not posting at this time and I really don’t blame them.  It’s too toxic right now for them to post.

In general (in life) it’s easier for people to post when they feel as if they are in the majority and won’t be singled out.  You saw this at the beginning of the season before our loss to Florida.  Now that the roles have reversed you are seeing posters that were absent at the beginning of the season.  It is what it is.  

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

I am, yes.  There are a lot of others too but they are not posting at this time and I really don’t blame them.  It’s too toxic right now for them to post.

In general (in life) it’s easier for people to post when they feel as if they are in the majority and won’t be singled out.  You saw this at the beginning of the season before our loss to Florida.  Now that the roles have reversed you are seeing posters that were absent at the beginning of the season.  It is what it is.  

A mess.

7 hours ago, Carnell said:

I am a Gus critic but I think you are a little hard on Gus because I dont believe it's a matter of him wanting to be right about the offense but that he does not know how to adjust his offense.  For instance his offense relies on the quarterback making plays which was fine when we had Cam and Nick.  But now we need a system that requires the quarterback to work within a system and not try to win the game.  I think Gus is trying to fit his personnel to his system instead of fitting his system to his personnel because he just doesnt know how to do the latter.  In addition, his system requires heavily on going fast but DC are now shifting making the quarterback make more reads and slowing it down and Gus does not know how to adjust.

I disagree with you.I am not saying you are wrong or i am right.  I believe Gus blames  a lot on execution.  LSU 2017.  Gus initially did not blame the loss on poor and predictable  play calling but instead said that if Auburn had connected on a few of those third and longs we would all be feeling a little  different.  In fact all of Guss' head scratching losses if you go back on youtube and watch his post games he ALWAYS blames lak of execution for the loss.

8 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

I disagree with you. I am not saying you are wrong or I am right.  I believe Gus blames  a lot on execution.  LSU 2017.  Gus initially did not blame the loss on poor and predictable  play calling but instead said that if Auburn had connected on a few of those third and longs we would all be feeling a little  different.  In fact all of Gus's head- scratching losses if you go back on Youtube and watch his post games, he ALWAYS blames lack of execution for the loss.

Many of you have read my posts about growing up the daughter of an AU prof, who adored football, and I honestly didn't.  AU was our family's livelihood, and though I casually watched, I didn't become a fan-ATIC until Cam.  But reading this reminds me of when Daddy used to spill his tea.  He would say, "It shouldn't have been sitting there."  No owning it...I guess the glass didn't "execute."  I loved my dad, and I miss him tremendously, but this business we have in our culture of passing the buck instead of accepting others' and our own failures and adapting to do whatever it takes (morally, legally, of course) to help others (and ourselves) be successful just blows my mind.  

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I am, yes.  I explained in the Garewood thread why about 45 minutes ago if you want to know why.  There are a lot of others too but they are not posting at this time and I really don’t blame them.  It’s too toxic right now for them to post.

abw, you know I respect you and appreciate what you bring. But I also believe you have a ton more common sense and realism about you than 64 or mikey. Its time to call a spade a spade friend. The Gus experiment needs to end. If for no other reason than just a fresh start for Auburn. He’s basically been here for 10 years. In college football nowadays that can seem like an eternity. Its just time man. No shame in admitting that. I know you respect a lot of the posters on here who agree with my sentiments. Not the bomb throwers but the guys who really know football and have pointed out very common sense, very salient stats and arguments. Just think about it for a while. Why would all these good, solid Auburn fans WANT their coach to fail? The answer id we don’t...We just want better for Auburn. 

It’s too toxic right now for them to post. In general (in life) it’s easier for people to post when they feel as if they are in the majority and won’t be singled out.

Story of my football forum life. Who gives a crap if the majority disagrees with you. You stand for what/who you believe in and don't take shiitake from anyone. I stood alone in my takes towards Sean White no matter if he won or lost a game while the majority threw daggers from all directions. We ended up with Stidham and everyone forgot who Sean White was.

In other words, now is not a time for the Gus Bussers to run and hide.

One more quick point...this is a message board. Its really dumb for anyone to “stay away” just because they are in the minority. I mean, its not a club we physically go to. Its basically anonymous. No one is going to come to their house and heckle them. Man up, and get on here and defend your position...but also I would ask myself why you appear to be in the minority...

19 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Many of you have read my posts about growing up the daughter of an AU prof, who adored football, and I honestly didn't.  AU was our family's livelihood, and though I casually watched, I didn't become a fan-ATIC until Cam.  But reading this reminds me of when Daddy used to spill his tea.  He would say, "It shouldn't have been sitting there."  No owning it...I guess the glass didn't "execute."  I loved my dad, and I miss him tremendously, but this business we have in our culture of passing the buck instead of accepting others' and our own failures and adapting to do whatever it takes (morally, legally, of course) to help others (and ourselves) be successful just blows my mind.  

Tora, your story.... LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!

Just now, AUsince72 said:

Tora, your story.... LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!

Ooooohhhhh, it's one of many.  I was grounded for a year that lasted three months over failure to be home on time on a Saturday morning after a sleepover down the street when we were headed out to our Lee County property to haul rock.  But bless him, he was an only child, miracle baby, married to a middle child of 7, six who lived to adulthood.  Made for a very interesting upbringing...if my brother is lurking, he can corroborate!  😂:AUBig:😂:AUBig:😂:AUBig:😂:AUBig:

ANYTHING to find humor in today.  That's been a challenge.

17 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

abw, you know I respect you and appreciate what you bring. But I also believe you have a ton more common sense and realism about you than 64 or mikey. Its time to call a spade a spade friend. The Gus experiment needs to end. If for no other reason than just a fresh start for Auburn. He’s basically been here for 10 years. In college football nowadays that can seem like an eternity. Its just time man. No shame in admitting that. I know you respect a lot of the posters on here who agree with my sentiments. Not the bomb throwers but the guys who really know football and have pointed out very common sense, very salient stats and arguments. Just think about it for a while. Why would all these good, solid Auburn fans WANT their coach to fail? The answer id we don’t...We just want better for Auburn. 

Wow, it really has been.

Perspective.... Pat Dye only coached AU for 11 years.

10 minutes ago, Farmer Brown said:

gus bus.gif

Okay, if you are going here, making me laugh like that, then you have to check out this Irish humor.  Dougal is tripping!

Okay, something was bugging me about the board lately and I figured it out.

Here's the current forum in gif form....

giphy (1).gif

I don't understand his offensive thinking. He seems to outthink himself for no apparent reason, getting too cute and clever at times when the offense is humming along. It's like he feels the need to shove a stick into the spokes of his motorcycle wheel  as he's flying down the road. 

Yes, he does seem to overwhelm lesser talented teams with some consistency, I'll give him that much ( Miss State, Arky, Purdue … ) 

Maybe his failure to bring Jeremy Johnson along more still haunts Gus when it came to Joey Gatewood. The kid committed early, stayed committed, and from all accounts, seemed ' all in ' with what ever was asked of him. But when Gus revealed there was no thought of pulling Bo in the LSU game, then what more did JG need to see ? 

This seems like deja vu, all over again. 

11 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

giphy (1).gif

Dont be alarmed. That's just @AU64 and @Mikey psyching themselves up for a day full of gus sunshine pumping!!! Lol

2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

giphy (1).gif

Who's who?  😂:AUBig:😂:AUBig:😂:AUBig:😂:AUBig:

23 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

One more quick point...this is a message board. Its really dumb for anyone to “stay away” just because they are in the minority. I mean, its not a club we physically go to. Its basically anonymous. No one is going to come to their house and heckle them. Man up, and get on here and defend your position...but also I would ask myself why you appear to be in the minority...

Corch would have Come to your house for a fight, lol

2 minutes ago, AURaptor said:

I don't understand his offensive thinking. He seems to outthink himself for no apparent reason, getting too cute and clever at times when the offense is humming along. It's like he feels the need to shove a stick into the spokes of his motorcycle wheel  as he's flying down the road. 

Yes, he does seem to overwhelm lesser talented teams with some consistency, I'll give him that much ( Miss State, Arky, Purdue … ) 

Maybe his failure to bring Jeremy Johnson along more still haunts Gus when it came to Joey Gatewood. The kid committed early, stayed committed, and from all accounts, seemed ' all in ' with what ever was asked of him. But when Gus revealed there was no thought of pulling Bo in the LSU game, then what more did JG need to see ? 

This seems like deja vu, all over again. 

I would like to say I would switch TAMU with miss St. He is only 4-3 vs state which is embarrassing in its own right. I think we are 5-2 vs TAMU which is honestly his best consistent accomplishment as our head coach. I look at TAMU as a team close to our talent level. But yah he has been a failure vs miss St to me.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

I would like to say I would switch TAMU with miss St. He is only 4-3 vs state which is embarrassing in its own right. I think we are 5-2 vs TAMU which is honestly his best consistent accomplishment as our head coach. I look at TAMU as a team close to our talent level. But yah he has been a failure vs miss St to me.

I wonder if Aggie message boards are like “ damn, we’re 2-5 against Gus Malzahn!”

Archived