Men @ South Alabama thread

GwillMac6

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Bruce also just said the plan was for okoro to miss the FT at the end

Yeah that was the obvious. We were saying that before he shot it. Dont let them bring it in and throw a long pass.

Always take the WIN....the preseason games before conference are set up to find your starters and your bench players....I'm sure every team right now would all struggle in conference play....ask Kentucky...Alabama...Florida...and Tennessee....we've played 3 games one at home, one away and the other at a neutral site....I think we all have 'faith' in what Coach Pearl has lined up for the 1st month...turnovers will improve...hopefully our free throws will too....we have too much talent/experience to not be a factor in the conference...

So many teaching points from tonight. Thank God we won though. We were playing really well for about 30 minutes and then the bottom fell out. This was a good road test with valuable experience playing in front of a road crowd like that.

Jvons offensive skill set other than driving...woof 

Okoro should have the most shot attempts out of the starters every game at this point. Hes just able to do his game better than Samir does his. Samir should have more versatility but it’s like a pond: wide and shallow 

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Flanagan's misses weren't even close either. Isn't he supposed to be a shooter?

We have too many guys who apparently don't know what shooter's touch is on a FT. You don't shoot line drives at the line. It's obvious the second it leaves their hand, it's not going in. No excuse for it really.

My last thoughts

Jags a very scrappy defensive team that hit their shots at the end to make it a game.  We were the better team and it showed. 
Way too sloppy of a night all the way around but still a lot of good things happened. At the end with the 3 chances I think all was made even with the terrible officiating all night.  Riley has two jobs tonight. Coach and scorers table evidently as he was way out of his box.  
Take the win and move on

To everyone griping that we got lucky and we should be better — it’s still November. We’ll be fine. 

We did however get lucky in the fact that the refs could have (should have) called a 3 seconds violation on Okoro on that last possession. 

2 minutes ago, tigerman1186 said:

Always take the WIN....the preseason games before conference are set up to find your starters and your bench players....I'm sure every team right now would all struggle in conference play....ask Kentucky...Alabama...Florida...and Tennessee....we've played 3 games one at home, one away and the other at a neutral site....I think we all have 'faith' in what Coach Pearl has lined up for the 1st month...turnovers will improve...hopefully our free throws will too....we have too much talent/experience to not be a factor in the conference...

Very true. A fix with the FTs at the end of games could be to put the ball in the hands of Danjel or Issac but we shall see. Like you said we have a lot of confidence in Bruce. Unlike our head football coach, we know Bruce is willing and has the ability to make adjustments to get the best out his team. 

Missed free throws are always bad, but the biggest deficiency tonight was rebounding. Wiley and McLemore had 1 rebound and 4 rebounds respectively. That is awful. McCormick had 4!  

we got beat on the glass by a very small team. South wanted it more.

Wiley disappeared. 

thank goodness for Okoro, Johnson and Samir.

13 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

I disagree. He has looked like a quality backup PG forced into a starting role. Which is kinda exactly what he is. 

Big part why I wanted Sharife to reclassify so much...I think we’re going to have to just muddy thru this season at the guard position

5 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

Missed free throws are always bad, but the biggest deficiency tonight was rebounding. Wiley and McLemore had 1 rebound and 4 rebounds respectively. That is awful. McCormick had 4!  

Wiley disappeared. 

Rebounding was supposed to be the Jags weakness. At one point, they had 8 offensive boards to 0 for AU.

I just read Wiley’s stat line and it speaks for itself. He really needs to pick it up. He could be such a force. Too wildly inconsistent. 

4 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

Wiley disappeared. 

Our rebounding wasn’t much of much last game either. I think we eventually won that battle but we need to improve. Mac has been the better center 2/3 games but I think it might be better to keep him on the bench. He seems to bolster that unit a lil 

3 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

Wiley disappeared. 

It's very early but that's why I'm not sold on Wiley being "the guy" and working the offense inside out with him majority of the time. I think he's a solid player but we have a very athletic team. We shall see though. Not complaining at all....just observations at this point and time. 

I go with what someone said earlier: It's a win with learning opportunities and it's only November. Also, maybe some should take a look at Doughty's stat line

image.png

image.png

Did he play a perfect game? No, but 10 boards, 10 points, and he got the rebound and fed Okoro for the last shot.

War Eagle!

14 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Big part why I wanted Sharife to reclassify so much...I think we’re going to have to just muddy thru this season at the guard position

Exactly what I said in his recruitment thread. We need him bad. I like Javon but he isn't going to cut it. And Samir is not a ball handler. He'll give you a euro step to the basket but that's about it. 

Just now, GTNupe11 said:

Exactly what I said in his recruitment thread. We need him bad. I like Javon but he isn't going to cut it. And Samir is not a ball handler. He'll give you a euro step to the basket but that's about it. 

Samir was our best rebounder tonight.

Archived