Men @ South Alabama thread

GwillMac6

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, GTNupe11 said:

Exactly what I said in his recruitment thread. We need him bad. I like Javon but he isn't going to cut it. And Samir is not a ball handler. He'll give you a euro step to the basket but that's about it. 

I think those are two guys you don’t want to see with an expanded role. When all Jvon had to do was slash, he seemed a lot better. When Samir just had to score, he had it easier. 

7 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think those are two guys you don’t want to see with an expanded role. When all Jvon had to do was slash, he seemed a lot better. When Samir just had to score, he had it easier. 

Yep. Great role players but not sure how much we can rely on them when the game is on the line. Harper and Brown spoiled us from the guard positions. Even though Brown didn't dribble much we knew he could get us some points when we needed him to. 

Another solid win early in the season. Kentucky found out how hard it is to be consistent and win this time of year. 

Because this game was on the crappy production value of ESPN Plus put on by the sun belt I had NO IDEA it was this packed for this game. They never really got to on the game broadcast pan to the crowd to much. I know it was a announced sell out but dang I did not realize it was going to be this packed!! When is the next time we will play in a road game with a crowd this big? It won't be till conference play. And even then not every conference game is going to have a crowd this big. EXCELLENT experience gained by this team playing in a hostile environment on the road.  WAR DAMN!!!!

Lots of AU fans in the Mobile area and good that so many of them showed up to support the team.   I saw that it's been twenty years + since AU played a game in Mobile.  Too long.....hope they go back again sooner than that.  

11 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

Except UK was picked to win by 25 and are the #1 team in the country. Oh and at Rupp.  Kinda different. :) 

While all of what you said is true, if we lost last night I would be feeling the same way Kentucky fans are feeling today and none of those differences you cited would make me feel better.

Well I thought for sure we were done when they hit that 3 to take the lead with about 25s left. It took to the very end but we finally out fought them for some offensive rebounds and what a huge shot by Okoro to get that ball to go in and awesome job by Doughty to get the rebound and get the ball to okoro for the winner. USA had some gutsy players and they did not stop playing once we got up 14 in the second half so kudos to them. Hopefully our guys learned a little something about relaxing too early. Cheers to Okoro, Jamal, and Doughty for getting that win for us. I did like what i saw out of Stretch when he came in for a couple minutes. He was very disruptive getting blocks and hands in passing lanes. You can see the raw offensive skills but i think that guy can help us this season. 

Curious to see what Pearl will do to help generate some offense. I'm pretty concerned about our ability to go get a basket when needed. Okoro and Doughty are so far the only ones to show this skill. I think Javon has it but it needs to show up again. But our offense seems to be screen for the ball handler at the top of the key and then make something happen. We may need some more set plays to get people open now that we don't have Harper running PG.

Glad to get to the win! I thought we would drop 1 of the first 3 so we are ahead of schedule in my view!

Lots of AU fans in the Mobile area and good that so many of them showed up to support the team.   I saw that it's been twenty years + since AU played a game in Mobile.  Too long.....hope they go back again sooner than that.  

Auburn beat Southern in the Coors Classic in December 2007 at the Mitchell Center in Mobile.  South Alabama then beat Mississippi State in the second game.  Coach Lebo was making an effort to play around the state and Auburn played at Alabama State in

Montgomery, this game in Mobile, and in Birmingham at the BJCC against West Virginia as part of the Big East/SEC Invitational.

One thing that stood out to me is how controlled we looked like when they went on that wild run to take the lead in the waning seconds of the game. That's a testament to Bruce Pearl and his coaching. In our Lebo and Barbee years, we'd get punched and we would never hit back. But this game, I never felt we were doomed when they took the lead. A great team-building win, but it really astounds me to think that Auburn can pull out wins in games like these today. We're truly blessed. 

South Alabama is the preseason prohibitive favorite to win the conference and one of their starters just got voted to be the preseason player of the year. They could be a scary 13 seed come March. We're quietly amassing quality wins, even after a year where we played in Maui against the likes of Duke, Arizona, and Xavier.

4 minutes ago, AUDynasty said:

really astounds me to think that Auburn can pull out wins in games like these today

Its really not about wins and losses as much as it is fundamentals such as FT's, positioning for rebounds, footwork, proper passing,etc. We didn't do very well last night on fundamentals. 11 To's is not bad so hopefully developing chemistry will improve some the areas that we didn't do well in

1 minute ago, doverstutts said:

Its really not about wins and losses as much as it is fundamentals such as FT's, positioning for rebounds, footwork, proper passing,etc. We didn't do very well last night on fundamentals. 11 To's is not bad so hopefully developing chemistry will improve some the areas that we didn't do well in

Sure, but how often do we win when we commit these mistakes? We shot 55% from the charity stripe and still won? The last close game that we won that we shot badly from the line was against College of Charleston in first round of 2018 NCAA Tournament when we shot 47% from the line. 

Maybe this is mentioned else where in the thread, but where was Wiley?  Of the entire highlight video I only saw him on the floor 1 time and he didn't get the ball.

2 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

Maybe this is mentioned else where in the thread, but where was Wiley?  Of the entire highlight video I only saw him on the floor 1 time and he didn't get the ball.

He was in foul trouble most of the game. Not super effective when in the game either. He wasn’t alone on the second part

10 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

the worst thing about ESPN+ is that so little people have it and so few big games take place on it...hard to find streams online (the big sources that provide them don't have a reason to be subscribed to it, I suppose). 

I'm hating the ACC right now. I'm not paying extra for another conference network channel. But it sucks not to have it during CBB season vs football. Hard to find streams as well. 

FT shooting has to improve or we will lose more than half of our conference games where the margin for error is so slim.

Danjel has give us more than 2 points, 4 rebs, in 25 minutes of action.

We need something at PG. J'Von needs confidence. He's all we have at the 1 right now. Sliding Samir over to the 1 when J'Von isn't in the game is not a great spot to be in. Turbo's injury when he got to AU looks like it set him back. It's telling that he can't even get in the game when our PG is struggling.

Okoro will eventually be putting this team on his back. 

Wiley...oof

Mac was good but only 4 rebs is concerning. Also Ajayi was eating him up on the low block. His child was scheduled to be born last night so maybe his head wasn't completely in the game and he still had a good game. If he's shooting 2-5 from 3 for us it will really stress defenses. We need that.

Jamal Johnson -- 4 big 3s! We needed every one of them. Gonna need him to be that sniper off the bench for us consistently this year.

Cambridge was a non-factor this game.

Flanagan was pretty solid, need to see him hit FTs though. 

Samir getting 10 and 10 was huge. And fantastic play by him in the final seconds to get the board.

Babatunde is going to be fun to watch over the next few years. In his 4 minutes he brought energy, blocked 2 shots, and had his hands in passing lanes. I think he can be a good 3rd C for us this year in spot minutes. I've got my eye on him

Overall as a team, loving the ball movement, not loving the rebounding. That 20-7 run to end the game or whatever it was...yuck. Glad we survived it and glad we get these teaching lessons through a win rather than a loss to a mid-major, no matter how respectable they are.

12 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Because this game was on the crappy production value of ESPN Plus put on by the sun belt I had NO IDEA it was this packed for this game. They never really got to on the game broadcast pan to the crowd to much. I know it was a announced sell out but dang I did not realize it was going to be this packed!! When is the next time we will play in a road game with a crowd this big? It won't be till conference play. And even then not every conference game is going to have a crowd this big. EXCELLENT experience gained by this team playing in a hostile environment on the road.  WAR DAMN!!!!

I was at the game and thought it would feel like a 50/50 crowd but it definitely felt like a USA home crowd. USA fans were way louder than I expected especially at the end. Good experience for our guys. 

4 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

Every time he touched someone on USA he was whistled for a foul.  

6 hours ago, cheap seats said:

Auburn beat Southern in the Coors Classic in December 2007 at the Mitchell Center in Mobile.  South Alabama then beat Mississippi State in the second game.  Coach Lebo was making an effort to play around the state and Auburn played at Alabama State in

Montgomery, this game in Mobile, and in Birmingham at the BJCC against West Virginia as part of the Big East/SEC Invitational.

Thanks "cheap".... ....I thought it had not been 20 years...can't always trust al.com....but knew it had been a while but could not remember when it was.   But even 12 years is too long and hope BP does it again soon.  Mobile and the Gulf Coast just seems to be off the AU radar and we have about conceded a lot of good athletes to bama and LSU from down there.  JMO.

Took the family and it was fun! The USA fans were LOUD. I think it was more like 60/40 them, but it was a very good home environment. The end was awesome and within 2 minutes after the game it was empty. 
great time.

6 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I'm hating the ACC right now. I'm not paying extra for another conference network channel. But it sucks not to have it during CBB season vs football. Hard to find streams as well. 

Yeah thankfully their football teams suck, but missing duke, unc, that sucks

Archived