Does it bother Gus to lose?

TigerOne

13 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Until Daddy takes the T-bird away...

Nice one, Tora.  The question being; who is Gus’ daddy?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Nice one, Tora.  The question being; who is Gus’ daddy?

If we knew, we might be in raking in the 8-figure$, too. I like to deal in hope, but tentacle$ are ugly.

I guess it's not Saban this year, but will the real Slim Shady please stand up? 

Family forum, will use the parody. Like it better. 

On 1/2/2020 at 8:27 AM, TigerOne said:

Especially in this fashion and often? I mean yeah I'm sure he wants to win but if we don't it's, Oh well, we will get better next time.

Does he look at his record and results in big games?  Does anyone talk to him about it?

There doesn't seem to be any change or corrections. The early game plan yesterday was to get the ball to Schwartz and he would use his speed to outrun Minnesota's size. Only problem after the scripted plays and the unexpected interception and muffed kickoff, everything went out the window.

Most of the bowl games this season, Auburn has flopped bigger than anyone, except maybe Mississippi St.

Does Gus realize what's going on outside of his world? All of Auburn's TD's were unusual, Kickoff return, busted play, Nix running for his life, and a drive extended due to pass interference.

He said Minnesota shortened the game by running down the play clock, well Auburn shortened in more by going 3 and out and not having any offense at all.

Does Gus look back and think what we are doing does not work, I need to do something different. C'mon man!

If you were guaranteed the money he is would you gaf if you won or not? Our administration should be castrated for allowing him to be given that contract.

On 1/2/2020 at 8:27 AM, TigerOne said:

Especially in this fashion and often? I mean yeah I'm sure he wants to win but if we don't it's, Oh well, we will get better next time.

Does he look at his record and results in big games?  Does anyone talk to him about it?

There doesn't seem to be any change or corrections. The early game plan yesterday was to get the ball to Schwartz and he would use his speed to outrun Minnesota's size. Only problem after the scripted plays and the unexpected interception and muffed kickoff, everything went out the window.

Most of the bowl games this season, Auburn has flopped bigger than anyone, except maybe Mississippi St.

Does Gus realize what's going on outside of his world? All of Auburn's TD's were unusual, Kickoff return, busted play, Nix running for his life, and a drive extended due to pass interference.

He said Minnesota shortened the game by running down the play clock, well Auburn shortened in more by going 3 and out and not having any offense at all.

Does Gus look back and think what we are doing does not work, I need to do something different. C'mon man!

Did you just start watching Auburn football this year?  If it bothers him, it sure doesn't show.  The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. 

16 hours ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Y’all are way too hard on Ol Four Loss. I mean, he ain’t called Ol Four Loss for nuthin.

Seriously, I have to double take every time I see a Gus fan defend him & then look at his record at Auburn.

Think about this..... Outside of 2013, 4 loss seasons have been his BEST years!!  How do you defend that with a straight face?

Gus apologists....

giphy-downsized-large.gif

1 hour ago, 1856 said:

Did you just start watching Auburn football this year?  If it bothers him, it sure doesn't show.  The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. 

I think it shows in his responses, he just handles it better than some. He's an intense guy, and he even said recently before the bowl game, that he thinks about the 2013 NC loss at least once a week. So I think he does hate losing.

But that has zero bearing on what he doesn't do..or I am beginning to think he simply CANNOT do to make the offensive adjustments to improve our scoring and offensive firepower. 

I firmly believe he feels its mostly in the lack of execution of his plays, or he feels changing the 'appearance' of his plays will cause the D to react slowly or wrongly..therefore giving us the upperhand on offensive production.

But what he seems to NOT be able to do..is that the good defenses or when a team has time to practice more on his tendencies his offenses are shut down for the most part when executed unless it simply are plays our QB or RBs or WRs makes happen on busted plays or scrambling plays.

That's why I think not having a consistent passing scheme is not his forte and costs us the ability to adjust and make the offense successful. Once our running game is shut down..Gus' offense can't make it happen consistently on pass plays.

I noticed over the last 7 years we have never scored more than 58 TOTAL TDs in a year since we scored over 70 in 2013. Many of those years were in the 40s and low 50's. While teams like Alabama and GA are scoring TDS in the upper 60's, 70's and 80's. 

Until Gus either totally allows a different style of OC to take over totally(which he won't now) or he has a revelation...we won't improve our offensive ability to score enough TDs to beat the top SEC teams consistently. 

Interestingly enough Bruce Pearl was just asked on the SEC Network after the Miss St win why his team played so hard and his remark was "They hate losing". Obviously Gustavo has not instilled that in our football team.  Honestly at this point I think he is just collecting VERY LARGE PAYCHECKS until his inevitable dismissal happens when the buyout goes down in a few years. As Elvis sang a few years ago, "We're caught in a trap, I can't walk out"

4 minutes ago, Sully to Beasley said:

Interestingly enough Bruce Pearl was just asked on the SEC Network after the Miss St win why his team played so hard and his remark was "They hate losing". Obviously Gustavo has not instilled that in our football team.  Honestly at this point I think he is just collecting VERY LARGE PAYCHECKS until his inevitable dismissal happens when the buyout goes down in a few years. As Elvis sang a few years ago, "We're caught in a trap, I can't walk out"

CBP's post-game interviews, regardless of the outcome, are night and day. As are the current results and pattern. Hence the hope. Everyone believes Auburn CAN win, and this translates into does, most often. 

There’s a reasons non AU people called Jason Garrett the Gus Malzahn of the NFL. It doesn’t bother him enough to make a change, it only bothers him enough to double down to prove “what I think will work, will work”. His ego and his unwillingness to adapt (consistently) will be a problem as long as he is the coach here 

what’s funny to me is how he does things we haven’t done all year when his job is on the line but as soon he gets breathing room it’s back to the same old thing.

28 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

CBP's post-game interviews, regardless of the outcome, are night and day. As are the current results and pattern. Hence the hope. Everyone believes Auburn CAN win, and this translates into does, most often. 

Don’t make comparisons between BP and Malzahn, you’ll get dislikes and face palms from “the squad”

7 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Don’t make comparisons between BP and Malzahn, you’ll get dislikes and face palms from “the squad”

2020 intention is care squat about "squad" reactions, especially when the truth is stated. We need more of both..less caring, more truth. CBP has much to teach...others would be wise to follow his example. 

1 minute ago, ToraGirl said:

2020 intention is care squat about "squad" reactions, especially when the truth is stated. We need more of both..less caring, more truth. CBP has much to teach...others would be wise to follow his example. 

Oh I know tora! I was just being petty 😂

3 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

Oh I know tora! I was just being petty 😂

We all "junior high school" with the emoticons these days...giving and reacting to. My facepalm and dislikes are rare, so I tend to have trouble respecting those who love and live to use them. I prefer to uplift...but not at the expense of the truth. 😉😁🌱

3 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

Good policy.

Even a couple I used to at least respect as posters, even though I thought their thinking was heavily flawed, because I thought they at least truly believed the silliness they posted.....after the 2nd half of this season, I've figured out that the squad are just contrarian trolls.

I'm convinced a couple would claim the sky is red simply because we say it's blue and then sit back and enjoy the posters going after them so they can claim how they're being mistreated.  Whatever.... :violin:

Just now, AUsince72 said:

Good policy.

Even a couple I used to at least respect as posters, even though I thought their thinking was heavily flawed, because I thought they at least truly believed the silliness they posted.....after the 2nd half of this season, I've figured out that the squad are just contrarian trolls.

I'm convinced a couple would claim the sky is red simply because we say it's blue and then sit back and enjoy the posters going after them so they can claim how they're being mistreated.  Whatever.... :violin:

Image result for you're so right carl

I know it's already been alluded to above but there is one AU Head Coach who hates to lose.....

I am so tired of Gus and his inability to change that I am taking off reading this forum.   I can't stomach it to be honest.  I will check in on weekends. 

1. With Every new OC comes a renewed hope we update our play calling and we are 1. Not predictable and 2. Developing QBs.  Every season our QB seems to digress during the season.   How is this possible?  I don't have facts to back this up, this is what it feels like.  Bo looks like he missed 'easy' passes late in the season (the costly screen to Joiner vs UGA is a perfect case in point).  Other examples in bama and Minn game).  Stidham in '18 vs Stidham in '17 - well documented how he digressed.

2.  Every year Gus tells us his playcalling plan will be better.   Nope - never is.   The only exception was Purdue.

3.  Gus gets tight and extremely predictable in higher pressure games, except bama.  My theory - he is playing with house money and if we lose - 'we were supposed to lose'.  Thus he coaches more aggressively.  That is why he is so far behind (W-L) vs LSU, UGA and other big games: Clemsons/UF/bowl games.

4.  Although the D is not perfect, they are a championship caliber unit and I feel the window is closing.  Can we sustain that D until Gus regains the ability to score 70 TDs in a season?   

5. The Law of the Lid: the offensive coaching staff albeit very good at recruiting may not get hired to coach at the elite SEC programs if they had to.  Gus does not have a rep that attracts coaching talent.  If he did, he would upgrade the OL coaching position RIGHT NOW.  Lots of moving coaches in the NFL and college right now.  You don't think any of those guys would be an upgrade?  

Lastly to answer the question: Does it bother Gus to lose?  Yes.   Does he hate losing?  No, not at all.  What was his quote after blowing the 20 pt lead in LSU? "This is not the end of the world."   He wants to hammer Arky, beat the Miss teams and TAMU and he hopes to beat bama, lsu and UGA.   That is game plan every year.  Look at his actions and prove me wrong. 

Have a good week and War Eagle!  Oh, I will track the BB team.  That coach hates to lose and his players are ready - EVERY GAME.  

On 1/5/2020 at 4:18 AM, GwillMac6 said:

I know it's already been alluded to above but there is one AU Head Coach who hates to lose.....

This quote from Bruce made me think of Gus. Gus may think he hates to lose but he doesn't because Gus is actually the one that takes plays off in our football program. Outside of Seth Williams at times (and this needs to be coached out of him) I have not seen anyone take plays off that's on the field.

To be clear, I'm referencing Gus essentially giving downs away with the runs up the gut after first downs. That is what I equate to someone taking a possession off in hoops.

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

This quote from Bruce made me think of Gus. Gus may think he hates to lose but he doesn't because Gus is actually the one that takes plays off in our football program. Outside of Seth Williams at times (and this needs to be coached out of him) I have not seen anyone take plays off that's on the field.

To be clear, I'm referencing Gus essentially giving downs away with the runs up the gut after first downs. That is what I equate to someone taking a possession off in hoops.

Gus typically can't figure out what player packages he wants to run until after game 3....and look at how we usually struggle with such predictable play calling  against all of our rivals (less bama).   Gus gives 'games' away.   That is why the fanbase is disappointed this season:

nobody is disappointed with our team considering true freshman started and we opened and beat Oregon.   It's how close we lost to UF, LSU, UGA and Minn - in each we were predictable to a fault.    The Minn coach said as much.

Archived