Auburn Flashback -2000 Georgia Game

StatTiger

The Auburn-Georgia rivalry has always been my favorite, probably because I have spent the better part of my 55 years in the state of Georgia. The 2000 game doesn’t receive the attention it deserves in terms of fan favorite. Auburn came into the contest, having won only one of their last three conference games, and the lone victory was a close-call with Arkansas. Auburn already had two conference losses and could not afford another if they were going to win the SEC-West.

It was an epic battle with Georgia jumping out to a 13-0 lead after three Auburn miscues. Auburn rarely overcame a 10-point deficit at halftime under Tommy Tuberville but did so against the Bulldogs. Auburn rallied to take a 23-13 lead before Georgia rallied to tie the game during regulation. The game went into overtime, where Auburn finally secured the victory, 29-26. It was a hard-fought victory for the Auburn Tigers and a typical Tuberville victory.

The Tigers relied on a running game, good defense and special teams to capture a true “team” victory. Auburn’s recent struggles against Georgia has made me appreciate this victory even more. Defeating the Bulldogs in OT was sweet revenge for the OT loss from 1996. Ben Leard rallied from a shaky start and Rudi Johnson surfaced to give Auburn the physical edge to win the game. The defense played a spectacular game and kept Auburn in the game until the offense finally woke up.

The production is lengthy, but I wanted to capture the flow of the game as much as possible, despite it being a highlight endeavor.

https://youtu.be/VwPcs61X77k

2 hours ago, CodeRocket said:

Just watched the whole clip. It was awesome! Thanks.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Man I remember this game. I remember how pumped I was when we won. Rudy just took over in overtime. He was an absolute power back. God I miss the days where we actually had the better program. 

I was at this game also.  It was great being there as the program was starting to make a turnaround after two losing seasons.  I remember that Terrance Edwards almost scored for UGA to win in regulation.  Our defense got just enough of him that he had one foot that landed just out of bounds.  They then forced a FG to send it to OT.  UGA got the ball first and our defense came up big forcing another FG.  Then Rudy got em close and Leard sneaked it in for the win.

Another great moment I remember from this game was this:  Tim Carter got knocked out of the game and an ambulance came onto the field to get him (not the great moment I am referring to).  Later in the game he came walking out of the tunnel with his jersey and street clothes on, after getting checked out at the hospital, and joined the team on the sideline.  That is one of the loudest moments I have ever experienced at JHS!  It still gives me chills thinking about it!  WDE!

Wow I completely forgot about this game. What a time. Hearing Ron Franklin/Mike Gottfried really took me back. 

Some often forgotten contributors in this video: Mark Brown, Alex Lincoln, Rashaud Walker, Lorenzo Diamond, Reggie Worthy etc

On 4/20/2020 at 2:08 PM, Tiger said:

Wow I completely forgot about this game. What a time. Hearing Ron Franklin/Mike Gottfried really took me back. 

Some often forgotten contributors in this video: Mark Brown, Alex Lincoln, Rashaud Walker, Lorenzo Diamond, Reggie Worthy etc

Thanks... your comments are the type of emotion I hoped to obtain from the video.

3 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

I love watching all of these flashback clips. Thanks for posting them.

Plenty more coming...

4 hours ago, StatTiger said:

Plenty more coming...

YOUDAMAN STAT!

During these trying times (not to mention MY trials) your posts & videos are good medicine.

Thank you sir!

War Eagle!

Archived