National Garden of American Heros

Just curious to see people's reactions or responses to it. We are free to put our voices in to who or what's represented. I think it's a great idea. 

• Like 1

I can think of a lot more worthwhile things to put taxpayer money into.  We have monuments everywhere in this country, not to mention a national cemetery that is truly hallowed ground.

Let's spend money on education or infrastructure for a change.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well statues seem really important to people right now. Unity right now is worth investing in, just as much as infrastructure and education...at least ballpark if anything, dont ya think?

• Facepalm 1

12 hours ago, SaturdayGT said:

Well statues seem really important to people right now. Unity right now is worth investing in, just as much as infrastructure and education...at least ballpark if anything, dont ya think?

Nope.  Statues are never more important than education and infrastructure.

Unity doesn't come from a statue.  Never has in this country.  It's a feeling.  And if we're being honest, the only times we've been unified is when we're fighting a common enemy in a war.  There have always been calls for progress, change, etc throughout our history.  Hell, people questioned Washington during his presidency and called him a tyrant, even though he was nothing of the sort.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

I can think of a lot more worthwhile things to put taxpayer money into.  We have monuments everywhere in this country, not to mention a national cemetery that is truly hallowed ground.

Spending money on education and infrastructure doesn't get a politician as many votes.

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Grumps said:

Spending money on education and infrastructure doesn't get a politician as many votes.

Oh you don't have to convince me that the electorate at large is stupid AF.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

While I am certainly a proponent of more spending on education, the US spends more than $700 billion on education yet lags behind other industrialized countries in key measurements of academic success. Many local governments hold no one accountable for success, rather they accept failure. Hell, our own citizens accept educational failure. Imagine being a child in the inner cities fourth grade class, yet you can neither read nor write. Unacceptable, yet what has been done? More spending? Excuses? Teacher unions failing children? It's simply not working for all. Accountability at a local level has to be a factor. It must be demanded. 

All for infrastructure improvements, but our clowns in so called leadership prefer games. I'm not optimistic at this point. 

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

Oh you don't have to convince me that the electorate at large is stupid AF.

As I alluded to previously, we have no demand for accountability. What other outcome could you expect? 

• Dislike 1

On 7/4/2020 at 7:12 PM, SaturdayGT said:

Just curious to see people's reactions or responses to it. We are free to put our voices in to who or what's represented. I think it's a great idea. 

With billions of dollars being pissed away annually on nonsense projects, roads to nowhere and so forth, I think this would be money well spent. The few dollars it would take to establish and maintain such an area wouldn't make the slightest difference if spent on education and infrastructure. You couldn't widen the four-lane between Auburn and Opelika for the small amount such an area would cost.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

With billions of dollars being pissed away annually on nonsense projects, roads to nowhere and so forth, I think this would be money well spent. The few dollars it would take to establish and maintain such an area wouldn't make the slightest difference if spent on education and infrastructure. You couldn't widen the four-lane between Auburn and Opelika for the small amount such an area would cost.

Hey, History is Education!...I think it will have a great purpose, especially for all of our youth to come. Plus, we could really use a little something constructive, rather than destructive at this moment in time.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SaturdayGT said:

Hey, History is Education!...I think it will have a great purpose, especially for all of our youth to come. Plus, we could really use a little something constructive, rather than destructive at this moment in time.

Statues don't educate a damned thing. Especially not the statues he's suggesting. The hell you think anyone's going to learn from another statue of George Washington? Seriously?

Y'all know that it's possible for the most powerful man in the country to be constructive by actually being constructive, right? 

This is an asinine distraction. This is a shiny object to divert attention away from his own failings. It's 3 Card Monte and it's going to work on a lot of people just like it always does. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Statues don't educate a damned thing. Especially not the statues he's suggesting. The hell you think anyone's going to learn from another statue of George Washington? Seriously?

Y'all know that it's possible for the most powerful man in the country to be constructive by actually being constructive, right? 

This is an asinine distraction. This is a shiny object to divert attention away from his own failings. It's 3 Card Monte and it's going to work on a lot of people just like it always does. 

I dont know about anyone else, but I remember seeing statues as a kid that raised my curiosity enough to ask my Parents about them. Hell, even now, Ive seen statues around of people and things that I was not so familiar with and been curious to stop and read a little about it. I just think its all a good thing. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, SaturdayGT said:

I dont know about anyone else, but I remember seeing statues as a kid that raised my curiosity enough to ask my Parents about them. Hell, even now, Ive seen statues around of people and things that I was not so familiar with and been curious to stop and read a little about it. I just think its all a good thing. 

I agree, there isn’t a statue that is unfamiliar to me that I don’t stop and read the plaque underneath the statue or monument and learn something I didn’t know.  I guess the people that think they do not educate do not know how to read.

• Like 3

Just now, I_M4_AU said:

I agree, there isn’t a statue that is unfamiliar to me that I don’t stop and read the plaque underneath the statue or monument and learn something I didn’t know.  I guess the people that think they do not educate do not know how to read.

Another thing, even if its a statue of George Washington, or somebody you have learned a ton about in Elementary School....It still sparks a little re-interest in the Revolutionary war, the birth of our country, or what have you, and may even raise some other questions you may not have thought about to do some research on.  I mean love em or hate em, thats kinda the whole idea behind statues, and art. ...at least thats how I see them.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Statues do not tell the whole story of a person and can easily wax poetic about someone while completely ignoring some less desirable aspects.

This is an extreme example, but there's a statue of Nathan Bedford Forrest just off of I-65 as you head into Nashville.  He's shooting behind himself and mounted on a horse.  Now, the statue is on private land, so the people can do as they please.  But that statue also fails to explain that this man is a founding fathers of the KKK.

That's the point people are making.  It's too easy to gloss over some dispicable crap.

Edited by Brad_ATX
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, AUDub said:

That statue lol. 

nbf_kh2thisone.jpg?w=990

"WHARRGARBL!"

It's amazing that his head is facing forward, yet it still looks like he's got it spun 180 degrees in the wrong direction Exorcist-style. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It's amazing that his head is facing forward, yet it still looks like he's got it spun 180 degrees in the wrong direction Exorcist-style. 

So it’s not just me that it looks creepy AF?!?!lmao 

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Statues do not tell the whole story of a person and can easily wax poetic about someone while completely ignoring some less desirable aspects.

This is an extreme example, but there's a statue of Nathan Bedford Forrest just off of I-65 as you head into Nashville.  He's shooting behind himself and mounted on a horse.  Now, the statue is private land, so the people can do as they please.  But that statue also fails to explain that this man is a founding fathers of the KKK.

That's the point people are making.

I dont know anything about Nathan Bedford Forrest and the story surrounding him, but, again....I guess everybody just has a different take on things. For me, statues seem to represent figures in a historical event. Not always necessarily to glorify them. Like Columbus.....again, as a Kid when I was not completely old enough to learn the details of how horrible he was, Columbus was the guy who sailed across the Atlantic that really sparked my imagination. Sure, later on I realized Columbus was a horrible guy, but Im not going to snort, snarl and try to bite the foot off of every statue I see of him, lol.  In fact, knowing what I know.... what I think of when Columbus comes to mind, I honestly dont think much about the guy himself, but I do think alot about the feat it was to cross the Atlantic, and still Imagine what it must have been like to have been on one of those ships and the conditions they endured. 

14 minutes ago, SaturdayGT said:

I dont know anything about Nathan Bedford Forrest and the story surrounding him, 

This statement right here is why history books and education are more important than statues.  He's a seminal figure for the Confederacy as a general and then later on as the founder of the KKK.

• Thanks 1

By the way, if anyone wants to write this ridiculous stunt off as a typically tone deaf, harmless and inexpensive miscalculation on the part of POTUS, fine, whatever. Y'all continue to forgive far worse transgressions. 

But it's very naive to think there is any benevolence, patriotism or genuine appreciation for history in this stunt. 

Trump campaign claims the president will protect Brazil's famous Christ the Redeemer statue from vandalism and destruction

An aerial view shows the Christ the Redeemer statue in Rio de Janeiro on March 26, 2020.

President Donald Trump's reelection campaign claimed in a series of ads that the administration would "protect" Brazil's famous Christ the Redeemer statue from potential destruction by vandals.

President Donald Trump's reelection campaign bizarrely claimed in a series of ads that the administration would protect Brazil's iconic Christ the Redeemer statue from potential destruction by vandals, the Daily Beast first reported

This comes as the president has aggressively campaigned against protesters who've torn down or vandalized American monuments and statues, including those honoring Confederate and colonial figures, in recent weeks. 

"The President wants to know who stood with him against the Radical Left," the Facebook and Instagram ads read. Under a photo of the iconic Rio de Janeiro statue, it said "WE WILL PROTECT THIS." 

It's unclear why the president believes he could protect a monument in a foreign country. The Trump campaign did not immediately respond to a request for comment........

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-campaign-claims-it-will-protect-brazils-jesus-monument-2020-7

They created the ad from a stock photo.  I don't think they were even aware the statue is in Rio de Janeiro.  :laugh: