2021 4* LB Trevin Wallace (UK signee 2/3)

LKEEL75

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@W.E.D again recruiting is a relationships game. Wallace does not have a previous relationship with our new LB coach. He does have one with the Kentucky staff which would make it logical if they win this recruit. This is not a video game where is school with a higher prestige can just come in late and land a prospect they want Even with the new staff.

Possibly. I’m just not sure how good recruiters we have on staff.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@W.E.D again recruiting is a relationships game. Wallace does not have a previous relationship with our new LB coach. He does have one with the Kentucky staff which would make it logical if they win this recruit. This is not a video game where is school with a higher prestige can just come in late and land a prospect they want Even with the new staff.

I get it bud.  Apparently our coaches can't build relationships.  I'm sure Mason has talked to him before, you know that beast recruiter that he's supposed to be.

It's a damn joke that you think kids that know Auburn, have been a heavy lean to us, are just completely dead b/c we have a new staff.  Good recruiters could keep this kid.

8 minutes ago, AUwent said:

We have a void on the defensive side of the ball for sure.  I think keeping Twill was pretty important for that.  We at least have Friend/Bobo that are known recruiting commodities on the offensive side.  There's nothing on defense.

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

@AUwentAnd we’re not gonna know anything about their recruiting abilities for the most part even after the Highschoolers and junior college kids sign from this class. It’s going to take a good ways into the 2022 cycle before we will have a good idea what kind of recruiters we have. Therefore there’s no point or sense in anybody trying to assess it now or make knee-jerk reactions.

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Apparently our coaches can't build relationships.

@W.E.D We can. It’s not just gonna happen overnight though. Like I said it’s not a video game we could just do something like that quickly.

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

I'm sure Mason has talked to him before, you know that beast recruiter that he's supposed to be

No I don’t know that about him but even still Mason would not be his position coach and the position coach is the one that Wallace is going to have the most important relationship with.

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

It's a damn joke that you think kids that know Auburn, have been a heavy lean to us, are just completely dead b/c we have a new staff

Again. Never remotely said or implied that. We are clearly in all of the races but we are at a relationship disadvantage in some of the races and it’s why we will lose some of our remaining targets. I’m not gonna say it’s a joke but it’s mine numbingly stubborn that you refuse to understand that relationships matter in recruiting given that nearly every single recruiting reporter that has ever done this says that.

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Good recruiters could keep this kid

Yes if they had a pre-existing relationship with him which doesn’t appear to be the case.

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

I get it bud.  Apparently our coaches can't build relationships.  I'm sure Mason has talked to him before, you know that beast recruiter that he's supposed to be.

It's a damn joke that you think kids that know Auburn, have been a heavy lean to us, are just completely dead b/c we have a new staff.  Good recruiters could keep this kid.

Ahh bad take friend. First off, no way to know that CDM has contacted him before or not. Kid was definitely a late bloomer. Even if he contacted him while he was at Vandy, The pitch for Vandy is not the same as the pitch to AU. He had a solid relationship built with T-will. Then the staff changes. Our scheme changes. Even leaving the relationship out of it (which is naive and anectdotal) Maybe what had him sold on coming to AU while Twill was hear has changed. Scheme change. Position coach change. To judge any of this coaching staff for missing on a kid that hadn't even committed to begin with is crazy man. 

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

We have a void on the defensive side of the ball for sure.  I think keeping Twill was pretty important for that.  We at least have Friend/Bobo that are known recruiting commodities on the offensive side.  There's nothing on defense.

Let me ask you this...do you think this kid comes in and plays early? We do not yet know exactly what CDM is going to do as far as base defense. Will it be a 3-4 or a 4-3? Regardless, with modern offenses we spend 75% of snaps in nickel anyway. So often times we have 2 maybe 3 LBS on the field. We have 2 returning starters, one of which led the nation in tackles, the other a 2 year starter. We also have Chandler Wooten coming back who was basically a starter in 2019. We have Tisdol, Steiner, Riley all coming back as Freshmen. I don't know that he is seeing much PT his first year except for SP Teams. I am not sure what UK has coming back on the Defensive side of the ball. He may see himself hitting the field sooner/easier at UK.

If T-will wasn't the best fit for CBH's staff, then it was a wise decision to go a different direction. You do not keep a coach just for one recruit. Give the staff a chance man. They had very little shot at 2021 and are even behind the 8ball for 22. 

7 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Let me ask you this...do you think this kid comes in and plays early?

Probably not, but you don't recruit kids just based off the fact if they'd play early or not.

6 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Probably not, but you don't recruit kids just based off the fact if they'd play early or not.

Exactly. Who knows exactly what the former staff was pitching the kid on. 

18 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

twill has done nothing but crap recruiting the last 9 months. 

Pretty sure you can say that about the entire staff due to the situation they were in.  He has recruited well and if retained would have kept a top 100 LB.

19 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

twill has done nothing but crap recruiting the last 9 months. 

Yup! Was a derisive element on the team per WDE & recruited kids to himself instead of AU.

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

Pretty sure you can say that about the entire staff due to the situation they were in.  He has recruited well and if retained would have kept a top 100 LB.

You have no idea

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

Pretty sure you can say that about the entire staff due to the situation they were in.

Other mitigating factors with T-Will also made him not a culture fit with the new Harsin regime.

This post is strictly for info purposes but according to Wallace's 247 profile Vandy has not offered Wallace. That means it's very possible if not likely Mason was not recruiting him before becoming the AU DC. That would mean the Wallace relationship with Mason, as well as Schmedding, are new relationships.

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Other mitigating factors with T-Will also made him not a culture fit with the new Harsin regime.

Yeah, I'm not really arguing to keep him....just the immediate cost to existing recruits if we didn't retain him.

Hopefully Zac can pick up some slack b/c we're a bit of a black hole for experienced recruiters on the defensive side of the ball.  Doesn't mean they will not be able to.

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

.just the immediate cost to existing recruits if we didn't retain him

Understood.  Not saying this is you but I know some fans want to keep coaches to win short term recruiting battles but that's not the way to go about it. HCs should hire assistants they feel are the best solutions for the overall program & for the long run.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Understood.  Not saying this is you but I know some fans want to keep coaches to win short term recruiting battles but that's not the way to go about it. HCs should hire assistants they feel are the best solutions for the overall program & for the long run.

Yup.

I do think we're set up well for the long term in lots of areas.  We disagree on some current short term struggles.  I think we've got a lot of quality coaches, but I feel like we're missing the Trooper/Luper types...especially on defense.

Harsin's off the field plans does seem impressive.  Hopefully the recruiting backbone might offset some of the greenness of the recruiters.

23 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

but I feel like we're missing the Trooper/Luper types...especially on defense.

Bobo and Friend are like that on O in terms of being great recruiters. On D I just think we don't know yet. For example, I have heard quite a bit of rumblings of Zac being a future recruiting star.

23 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Harsin's off the field plans does seem impressive.  Hopefully the recruiting backbone might offset some of the greenness of the recruiters.

100% agree

53 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Bobo and Friend are like that on O in terms of being great recruiters. On D I just think we don't know yet. For example, I have heard quite a bit of rumblings of Zac being a future recruiting star.

100% agree

Completely agree. I've mentioned Bobo/Friend as being good recruiters.

Defense is an unknown, as you said. I feel like thr new DL coach has the personality to recruit well and Zac is young and could have a similar impact. 

They just have to show us. Turn potential into results. 

On 1/28/2021 at 6:17 PM, chizhead said:

I saw that, but the juco guy from Independence C.C. sounds like a good pickup if things work out. May have 4 years of eligibility left, but 3 for sure

Keith did say he has 4 years of eligibility. This season didn't happen for his Juco & he was redshirted in 2019.

13 hours ago, W.E.D said:

So much for people saying we'd be in good shape with out TWill.

T-Will had exactly zero LB recruits before he got canned. T-Will couldn't even pull in the Prattville kid from an Auburn family. If we don't sign a single LB this class we'll be right where T-Will left us. We are better off with him gone, and I hope he wakes up and turns out better off too.

Archived