Stan White at halftime

Mikey

Stan White at halftime of the radio broadcast: "Out schemed, out coached, out hustled". That about sums it up. The schemes are on the coordinators. People wanted "hands off" and they now have it. The lack of hustle, that's on the head coach, he sets the attitude. Not much leadership from the players either, they have to shoulder some of the responsibility for that fiasco.

Al in all, a forgettable performance.

PS: This one calls to mind our game against SMU back in '68. Before Cliff Hare Stadium had lights. It was an afternoon game in mid-September and hot as hot can be. SMU shoved us all over the field. Sitting in the student section, about third quarter the guy next to me turns and says "We're sweating more up here than they are on the field." I got that same feeling last night.

Agree with Stan on everything but the "hands off" comment which to me is a bit odd. Is he saying that Gus could make a difference if calling plays? Seriously? We've seen the back and forth on that more times than I care to think about. Gus meddling is not the answer either. If this season doesn't turn around drastically then the next thing Gus needs his hands on is the doorknob in the way out as soon as possible. He's a nice guy but you know what they say about that. He represents Auburn well until game time. He gets paid for a complete job. 

37 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Stan White at halftime of the radio broadcast: "Out schemed, out coached, out hustled". That about sums it up. The schemes are on the coordinators. People wanted "hands off" and they now have it. The lack of hustle, that's on the head coach, he sets the attitude. Not much leadership from the players either, they have to shoulder some of the responsibility for that fiasco.

Al in all, a forgettable performance.

PS: This one calls to mind our game against SMU back in '68. Before Cliff Hare Stadium had lights. It was an afternoon game in mid-September and hot as hot can be. SMU shoved us all over the field. Sitting in the student section, about third quarter the guy next to me turns and says "We're sweating more up here than they are on the field." I got that same feeling last night.

I like Stan because he went through what Bo is going through.  For 2 of his 4 years he had Randy Campbell as his QB coach.  He's a nice guy but was not suited to be a QB coach in a pro set offense so Stan's performance suffered.  Bo is going through something similar. He came out of high school to a school in a Power 5 conference and instead of getting coaching at the level other QBs at power 5 school gets, he gets a rehash of his high school coaching.

As I said I like Stan but he better watch what he says on the air.  Mike Kolen got canned for saying pretty much the same thing about Barfield about 40 years ago.

49 minutes ago, Mikey said:

People wanted "hands off" and they now have it.

Cheap shot. The suckier Auburn is the more you always double down. 

2 hours ago, Carnell said:

As I said I like Stan but he better watch what he says on the air.  Mike Kolen got canned for saying pretty much the same thing about Barfield about 40 years ago.

You are so right Carl!...I remember that Saturday broadcast, and statement by Kolen. I agreed with him 100% back then. I must wonder at what Captain Crunch would have to say about Mal(function)zahn today? Bet he wouldn't be as kind as Stan was last night. FIRE GUS! Get a new Bus!

3 hours ago, gr82be said:

Agree with Stan on everything but the "hands off" comment which to me is a bit odd.

Stan did not say "hands off." That is Mikey's comment.

3 hours ago, Carnell said:

I like Stan because he went through what Bo is going through.  For 2 of his 4 years he had Randy Campbell as his QB coach.  He's a nice guy but was not suited to be a QB coach in a pro set offense so Stan's performance suffered.  Bo is going through something similar. He came out of high school to a school in a Power 5 conference and instead of getting coaching at the level other QBs at power 5 school gets, he gets a rehash of his high school coaching.

Can’t speak to what happened 40 years ago but I don’t think Auburn is in any type of position to try to disrupt the commentator booth right now 

1 hour ago, Viper said:

Stan did not say "hands off." That is Mikey's comment.

Thanks. I read it as a remark from Stan. My bad. 

3 hours ago, cctiger said:

You are so right Carl!...I remember that Saturday broadcast, and statement by Kolen. I agreed with him 100% back then. I must wonder at what Captain Crunch would have to say about Mal(function)zahn today? Bet he wouldn't be as kind as Stan was last night. FIRE GUS! Get a new Bus!

AMEN

No play calling or schemes would have changed that game. Recruiting and motivation is what we were beaten at. I think Gus can adjust and improve motivation in short order.  Recruiting takes time and better luck. 
      I’m actually surprised the score didn’t get more out of hand. We were killed in the trenches. 

2 minutes ago, alexava said:

Recruiting takes time

do wha'? Time? How long as the HC been in the position? Time? This does not compute at all

9 minutes ago, chizhead said:

do wha'? Time? How long as the HC been in the position? Time? This does not compute at all

Not saying it will change. Just saying it won’t change the outcome of this season. 

12 hours ago, gr82be said:

Agree with Stan on everything but the "hands off" comment which to me is a bit odd.

Hands off was me, not Stan. His comments were "Out schemed, out coached, out hustled". All of which is true.

16 hours ago, alexava said:

No play calling or schemes would have changed that game. Recruiting and motivation is what we were beaten at. I think Gus can adjust and improve motivation in short order.  Recruiting takes time and better luck. 
      I’m actually surprised the score didn’t get more out of hand. We were killed in the trenches. 

Pretty obvious, why.

After GA got a 24 pt lead, they sat on it, throttled back, and knew with their good D, they could run vanilla on offense, and not do anything to make mistakes the rest of the game.

13 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Pretty obvious, why.

After GA got a 24 pt lead, they sat on it, throttled back, and knew with their good D, they could run vanilla on offense, and not do anything to make mistakes the rest of the game.

I thought they would be able to score 3 more tds just running the ball.  

15 hours ago, kingofhill said:

What was it that Captain Krunch said forty years ago? I do not recall.

Dont ask me for an exact quote but it translated to that he has not seen any more stupid playcalling before.

Stan knows what he’s talking about and the frustration is very noticeable on air. He can read defenses and is usually spot in with what’s coming or should be called.

17 hours ago, Mikey said:

Hands off was me, not Stan. His comments were "Out schemed, out coached, out hustled". All of which is true.

...And badly out-recruited on the OL! 

5 hours ago, Carnell said:

Dont ask me for an exact quote but it translated to that he has not seen any more stupid playcalling before.

I can't recall exact words but it was something to the effect of "that's some of the stupidest play-calling I've ever seen", alone with the tone of voice used. One could tell that he was upset and serious about what he was saying. I agreed with him then just like I also agreed with Stan Saturday. I've got Malzahn in the same briar-patch with Barfield, your gonna get stuck many times, and the berry's aren't any good!  May as well just get out the ole bush-hog, cut'em down and start over in the spring. 

6 hours ago, LeonardAU said:

I feel bad for Stan that he had to watch the whole thing.  We gave up in the 2nd quarter and went out to the firepit; seen this show too many times before.

LOL. Anyone who had to watch that whole game as part of their job should be allowed to say whatever they want.

Archived