I Blame all of this on Tuberville

tigerrules

This whole sleigh ride with offense started with the Tony Franklin experiment. That is the point where we decided to start running a non traditional offense. We started recruiting special purpose players and QB with specific talents.  Time has shown that success in football past and present is athletic defense,  big strong Versatile offensive lineman, ability to run the football and a smart QB with mobility.  And now in modern football a faster paced diverse offense using traditional formations and the ability to throw.  It is time to get back to basics.  

Dude i'm ready for Gus to be gone......but blaming Tubs c'mon man thats 2009 type talk we're not going away from the spread when half the guys we've recruited or on the roster practice with it thats what screwed chizik hiring a guy that didnt run the spread 

hell even alabama has part of the spread in its offense now it would be suicide to go away from it now when half the sec runs it

Tub was a failure period. Even with what he won if he would have recruited instead of out duck hunting and playing games he could have won a lot more . He will always be low in my book for his foolishness. 

I would love to get back to I formation and able to run the ball.  When you able to do that it opens up everything.   

Not sure why people have a problem with that offense.   The problem with it is Auburn doesn’t have offensive line to make it work.   But the same can be said for any type offense with this line.  

Get this!!!! Auburn starts a converted 2nd or 3rd string d lineman as the starting left tackle.   

In that case, it started with Dabble the Mascot of 1892.  His refusal to don the Aubie costume set us on a path that we still have yet to recover from.

Makes as much sense.

3 hours ago, aubaseball said:

I would love to get back to I formation and able to run the ball.  When you able to do that it opens up everything.   

Not sure why people have a problem with that offense.   The problem with it is Auburn doesn’t have offensive line to make it work.   But the same can be said for any type offense with this line.  

Get this!!!! Auburn starts a converted 2nd or 3rd string d lineman as the starting left tackle.   

again look at what happend with arkansas under bielema  forget it we're not going back to pounding the rock when half the sec runs the spread even the bammers incorporated wrinkles of the spread into their offense

chizik tried to go back to I-formation even when half of the recruits and roster were built for the spread and look at the results 2012

3 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

In that case, it started with Dabble the Mascot of 1892.  His refusal to don the Aubie costume set us on a path that we still have yet to recover from.

Makes as much sense.

even worse it started in 08 when we beat state by a score of *gasp* 3-2

37 minutes ago, tigerrules said:

This whole sleigh ride with offense started with the Tony Franklin experiment. That is the point where we decided to start running a non traditional offense. We started recruiting special purpose players and QB with specific talents.  Time has shown that success in football past and present is athletic defense,  big strong Versatile offensive lineman, ability to run the football and a smart QB with mobility.  And now in modern football a faster paced diverse offense using traditional formations and the ability to throw.  It is time to get back to basics.  

Good Lord. Tubs wasn’t great but he is 2x the HC Gus is. 

This is all on Gus. All of it. Not Tubs. Not Chiz. Gus and those fools that hired him them gave him a extension. 

Enjoy this. It’s the new norm. Tried to warn everyone. 

16 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Tub was a failure period. Even with what he won if he would have recruited instead of out duck hunting and playing games he could have won a lot more . He will always be low in my book for his foolishness. 

He'll fit in perfectly as a Senator lol

And I thought it was Leath's fault. :dunno:

19 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Good Lord. Tubs wasn’t great but he is 2x the HC Gus is. 

This is all on Gus. All of it. Not Tubs. Not Chiz. Gus and those fools that hired him them gave him a extension. 

Enjoy this. It’s the new norm. Tried to warn everyone. 

Malzahn has a good work ethic. He still loves coaching, loves the sport, loves putting in the hours. The problem is that what he believes works doesn't anymore and he lacks the objectivity to make needed adjustments. 

Tuberville's work ethic was easily compromised. He wanted to glad hand, slap backs and cash huge paychecks by taking the path of least resistance. He was always more of car salesman than a coach. 

Gus is honest but delusional. Tubs was lazy and greedy. 

OP a little tounge-n-cheek y’all.  Obviously don’t blame Tubs for where the program is now. Thank him for the 2004 team and the Bama wins.  Scorn him for the annual duck hunting trips and Sexton game playing. 

Real point is that the general 2008 timeframe is where many teams were struggling to score points against great defenses. Trying new adjustments was hit and miss at auburn, as it was with other teams. It ultimately led to the Gus experiment as OC.  That served us well when Cam and Nick Marshall fell in our lap.  With a natty that I will forever remember.  But Gus has really been the constant.  Early on he was innovative and new and defenses were trying to catch up.  But His innovations and approach to play calling and recruiting haven’t sufficiently evolved. The defenses adapted, Gus hasn’t, and I don’t think he really can.  We don’t put enough emphasis on offensive line recruiting.  Play calling predictable. Don’t use tight ends any more. Don’t use the middle of the field.  he wears out a defense and a hot running back. I could go on and on. 

Successful teams have a balanced offense approach, with speed, Playmakers put in a position to make plays, creative use of talent and schemes and passing routes,  can be successful with just a real good QB, and develop their QBs in the program.  

War Eagle 

No one can blame Tuberville for all this crap that's been going on. Heck, we can't even blame Chizik for Auburn's problems. 100% of the blame is to be laid right at Malzahn's feet.

10 hours ago, Scribe Tiger said:

Malzahn has a good work ethic. He still loves coaching, loves the sport, loves putting in the hours. The problem is that what he believes works doesn't anymore and he lacks the objectivity to make needed adjustments. 

Tuberville's work ethic was easily compromised. He wanted to glad hand, slap backs and cash huge paychecks by taking the path of least resistance. He was always more of car salesman than a coach. 

Gus is honest but delusional. Tubs was lazy and greedy. 

Spot on there my friend.  Gus’s refusal to adapt and change with the game will ultimately be his downfall. His predictability is downright stupid at times.  

Both Franklin and Malzahn are the result of some bad thinking - probably on the part of the money - that we would never keep up with the top of the SEC (Saban, in particular) talent-wise so we needed a bag of tricks to win. It was Sunbelt level thinking, it landed us Sunbelt level coaching and when the NCAA took Gus' substitution advantages away, his no-huddle scheme went the way of the Dodo. Gus loaded up with street agent assistant, was forced to address the defense, and we've been better than we probably should have. Tuberville couldn't recruit as well, but he understood that teams need to focus on recruiting offensive line. He understood that if you live and die off a running game, you need to recruit solid backfield depth. His players tended to show some improvement over time. 

If Auburn ever manages to separate themselves from Malzahn, I seriously hope better thinking goes into a new hire. There are no shortcuts. If we want to compete with LSU, Bama and LSU we are going to have to recruit smart, develop our players and adjust when Plan A isn't working. 

4 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Hiring Tony Franklin to be AU's OC was a scrappy move. Malzahn reminds me of Franklin. Their both clueless.

Franklin wasn’t clueless. He just didn’t have any help from the other offensive coaches because they didn’t believe in his system. He had to coach all the positions by himself.

13 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Franklin wasn’t clueless. He just didn’t have any help from the other offensive coaches because they didn’t believe in his system. He had to coach all the positions by himself.

i totally disagree. If you ever went to practice you could see. Franklin just sat on the sideline slinging insults to the players. I never saw him actually get on the field and teach. Our DC, Rhodes, was right the opposite and it got results.

Archived