Redzone Woes.

Eagle-1

Taken from part of an article on Auburn's lack of scoring touchdowns in the redzone. I can sum up much of the problem in two words, dumba#@ coaching. On the drive mentioned here we had first, and goal from about the eight yard line I believe. Two unimaginative runs up the gut, followed by a roll out pass attempt, which greatly reduced the throwing lanes that are already limited when that close to the goal line. I remember remarking to my Son at the time that those three calls just got us beat. 

Brahms specifically recalled a drive in the fourth quarter of last week’s road loss at South Carolina, when Auburn took over at its own 25-yard line while trailing 30-19 with 9:13 to go. The Tigers needed just three plays — a 19-yard reception by Ze’Vian Capers sandwiched between 30- and 19-yard runs by Tank Bigsby — to get deep into Gamecocks territory at the 7-yard line.

That drive ended three plays later after stalling out at the 5-yard line, with Auburn settling for a chip-shot field goal by Anders Carlson that cut South Carolina’s lead to 30-22, which wound up being the final score.

“We had a beautiful drive and got into the red zone and just stalled out,” Brahms said. “I don’t know what it was. I can’t pinpoint it. I just know we have to score in the red zone. That’s going to be a focus for us. Coach has said that already. We hammered it (Tuesday in practice). We’ve got to score touchdowns.”

looking at it again, first play Tank slips, he might have gotten 1-2 more yds.

the second play of that series was not terrible.  #71 whiffed on the MLB who filled the hole. seems like that's not the time for the slowwww handoff.  Nix isn't "reading" anyone. the DE #19 had time to chase down the RB from the backside.   RB would have had to cut to the outside for the opening. I don't know if #3 has that in him.

3rd down. ugh. back middle of end zone WIDE open.  All #12 had to do was cut to the middle and he's all alone. As it was, he sidles up to the DB and runs in the flat.  Somebody has GOT to be seeing this on the field and directing the WR's.

20 minutes ago, EastAl_Tiger said:

looking at it again, first play Tank slips, he might have gotten 1-2 more yds.

the second play of that series was not terrible.  #71 whiffed on the MLB who filled the hole. seems like that's not the time for the slowwww handoff.  Nix isn't "reading" anyone. the DE #19 had time to chase down the RB from the backside.   RB would have had to cut to the outside for the opening. I don't know if #3 has that in him.

3rd down. ugh. back middle of end zone WIDE open.  All #12 had to do was cut to the middle and he's all alone. As it was, he sidles up to the DB and runs in the flat.  Somebody has GOT to be seeing this on the field and directing the WR's.

Honest to God, I wonder sometimes what they are looking at in film study. Of course,not to knock the guy personally, but I just can't imagine what would qualify Kodi Burns to coach wide receivers. Maybe it's because he learned from Gus, and Trooper Taylor🙄pan widget

32 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

Red zone woes have been going on for way too long.  

I am not joking when I say this

Auburn Rivals wrote an article about red zone woes this week. Someone went and brought up past Rivals Auburn articles from 2018 and 2015 that were the same thing. Hahaha! Basically copy and paste with new people. Hysterical! 

It really is unbelievable.

12 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I am not joking when I say this

Auburn Rivals wrote an article about red zone woes this week. Someone went and brought up past Rivals Auburn articles from 2018 and 2015 that were the same thing. Hahaha! Basically copy and paste with new people. Hysterical! 

It really is unbelievable.

It’s been their Achilles for half a decade now. If they had better red zone numbers you could seriously probably add 5-7 wins to Gus’ overall record. Maybe even more. 

Archived