Matthew Hill Enters the Transfer Portal

Zeek

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

I take him at his word.  And frankly, I saw Malik's passing at Auburn and I've watched a little bit of him at Liberty.  Freeze or no Freeze, Malik has been working hard to get better than he was here.

Well frankly I did too and he never looked to be so bad that he shouldn't pick up a ball. 

These guys have talent before they get here if you need to work to improve it's usually knowing where to go with the ball and slowing the game down you don't see guys not having arm talent then you practice and develop it. It's fix footwork and stuff like that and you get even better. 

I see nothing Bo or JG do that's better. And it seems that both those QB's still have the problems mw was said to have

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, cole256 said:

Yep and all it took was him deciding to practice harder some believe. I guess the guy who beat him out needs to turn on his switch sooner rather than 

9 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Yep and all it took was him deciding to practice harder some believe. I guess the guy who beat him out needs to turn on his switch sooner rather than later

Refreshing to see a player develop to his full potential. I am sure he took on a lot of personal responsibility for it. Even if your not receiving the standard of coaching you think you deserve, you can still take it upon yourself to get better 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Well I think on paper when you look, Bo has very good upside. Probably the best of all 3, but you still have to develop him and scheme around him. Gus is horribly bad at that. He has yet to proven he can recruit a high school player and make them into something. Good news for Gus, Mckenzie Milton is available .

When you say the upside stuff what do you mean? I'm asking because I've seen other people say it but they couldn't explain it and you're usually pretty good with that. 

What upside or what is it that he has that seems to give him a pass that many seem to go easier on him with evaluations.

My example would be usually dual threat QB's are doubted as far as throwing accuracy but he didn't really get that. It's usually talked about alot running too early and not going through progressions you know all the stuff athletic QB's have to go through but with Bo it's not the same.

Then I notice he gets the he's a great competitor, he tries hard, he puts forth great effort....and I don't think I've ever seen, especially not here at Auburn a QB that doesn't compete.

I just wonder why it's implied that Bo has higher intangibles than all the other QB's

2 minutes ago, wcware said:

NFL people will absolutely love that and kudos to him making great choices and not taking hits on his character. Took a bad situation and literally made it a positive

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

When you say the upside stuff what do you mean? I'm asking because I've seen other people say it but they couldn't explain it and you're usually pretty good with that. 

What upside or what is it that he has that seems to give him a pass that many seem to go easier on him with evaluations.

My example would be usually dual threat QB's are doubted as far as throwing accuracy but he didn't really get that. It's usually talked about alot running too early and not going through progressions you know all the stuff athletic QB's have to go through but with Bo it's not the same.

Then I notice he gets the he's a great competitor, he tries hard, he puts forth great effort....and I don't think I've ever seen, especially not here at Auburn a QB that doesn't compete.

I just wonder why it's implied that Bo has higher intangibles than all the other QB's

For me Bo has a built in advantage of higher upside than the other two because he had all the resources in the world and a high school that let him shine. MW and JG did not starting off. MW originally was not getting much push from QB position out of high school and JG shared reps and was utilized as more of an athlete . With that in my mind , I believe that is why Gus thought Bo had more upside because he was suppose to be already polished! That wasn’t the case. 

48 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I think growing up with a QB Dad as your coach is one thing that could be looked at as a plus.  If MW or JG had that my apologies.  Might also be a negative depending on the Dad.   

He gets called a great competitor because he doesn't give up on a play until his knee is on the ground and the ball has left his hand.  Sometimes he probably should give up, but sometimes it results in a prayer that Seth pulls down for a first down.  He actually comes out ahead more often than he should (thinking of that end zone scramble against bama).  Admirable sometimes; stupid at other times.

2 hours ago, AUDevil said:

He gets called a great competitor because he doesn't give up on a play until his knee is on the ground and the ball has left his hand.  Sometimes he probably should give up, but sometimes it results in a prayer that Seth pulls down for a first down.  He actually comes out ahead more often than he should (thinking of that end zone scramble against bama).  Admirable sometimes; stupid at other times.

So who didn't do that? As far as give up and try to make plays happen? We had cam Newton and Nick Marshall.....not too many schools can point at having two guys who played at that high of level. Don't seem like people would be so quick to try to put somebody on that level, and when I say that I'm not just talking talent but leadership and being a competitor. Seems like a guy would have to do alot for us to even think of mentioning the best to wear our jersey. 

And wouldn't that be more he just a little more athletic than some other guys and like you said that's not the smartest thing all the time.....some situations it's smart to throw the ball away. That's just not being as smart as others, but turned into a hero for doing the wrong thing?

3 hours ago, DAG said:

For me Bo has a built in advantage of higher upside than the other two because he had all the resources in the world and a high school that let him shine. MW and JG did not starting off. MW originally was not getting much push from QB position out of high school and JG shared reps and was utilized as more of an athlete . With that in my mind , I believe that is why Gus thought Bo had more upside because he was suppose to be already polished! That wasn’t the case. 

I see. Yes I agree I too thought he would look much more polished and stuff. I guess the downside is when you have that type of advantage over everybody and that type of resume it's even worse when the minimum stuff isn't checked off. It turns into why wouldn't he not have picked this up after all this time? Is he just hard headed or is it something else?

10 minutes ago, cole256 said:

So who didn't do that? As far as give up and try to make plays happen? We had cam Newton and Nick Marshall.....not too many schools can point at having two guys who played at that high of level. Don't seem like people would be so quick to try to put somebody on that level, and when I say that I'm not just talking talent but leadership and being a competitor. Seems like a guy would have to do alot for us to even think of mentioning the best to wear our jersey. 

And wouldn't that be more he just a little more athletic than some other guys and like you said that's not the smartest thing all the time.....some situations it's smart to throw the ball away. That's just not being as smart as others, but turned into a hero for doing the wrong thing?

Who's comparing Bo to Cam and Nick?  Those are legends.  I'm not going to name names, but if you made a list of AU QBs that were fierce competitors under Gus, Bo would be closer to the top.  You could make a list of runningbacks, wide receivers, etc...too.  Some guys give more and don't quit.  It's an attribute and it's admirable...unless you're wreckless. 

3 hours ago, casatiger said:

I think growing up with a QB Dad as your coach is one thing that could be looked at as a plus.  If MW or JG had that my apologies.  Might also be a negative depending on the Dad.   

Yeah I can see why everyone would think that. That would make me have higher expectations personally. I think the person with the most upside would be the guy who hardly played. Like in Bo and JG example if it really was close neck to neck I would think JG has more upside because it's close and he's literally going off of talent alone. 

If mw was making incredible plays but wasn't trying I'd be upfront and literally say these guys are younger you have to show me why you should be the guy...

2 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Who's comparing Bo to Cam and Nick?  Those are legends.  I'm not going to name names, but if you made a list of AU QBs that were fierce competitors under Gus, Bo would be closer to the top.  You could make a list of runningbacks, wide receivers, etc...too.  Some guys give more and don't quit.  It's an attribute and it's admirable...unless you're wreckless. 

It's different for different positions actually QB would be the last position I'd want it. Only thing I'd want from my qb is if he had an unbelievable arm he just believed he could get balls into tight places, but he'd better have the arm to even dream it.

And the entire point of the question was why people compare him to those guys. And I think you're missing the admirable part. The most admirable thing a QB can do is stand in the pocket take that brutal hit but stand tall and make the throw. I haven't seen Bo even attempt that yet. SW would do it sometimes but he just didn't have the physical tools. 

Also like you said I'm thinking of QB's under Gus and those QB's are part of that. And I don't think Bo is at the top. I think he'd be in the middle. But that's hard to even say, I think every guy that goes out there is competing. Some are just better than others

On 12/3/2020 at 11:44 AM, cole256 said:

He is white and a legacy?   :dunno:

On 12/3/2020 at 2:25 PM, cole256 said:

It's different for different positions actually QB would be the last position I'd want it. Only thing I'd want from my qb is if he had an unbelievable arm he just believed he could get balls into tight places, but he'd better have the arm to even dream it.

And the entire point of the question was why people compare him to those guys. And I think you're missing the admirable part. The most admirable thing a QB can do is stand in the pocket take that brutal hit but stand tall and make the throw. I haven't seen Bo even attempt that yet. SW would do it sometimes but he just didn't have the physical tools. 

Also like you said I'm thinking of QB's under Gus and those QB's are part of that. And I don't think Bo is at the top. I think he'd be in the middle. But that's hard to even say, I think every guy that goes out there is competing. Some are just better than others

Have you watched Cam here lately? Has all the tools, has all the drive but just makes some poor decisions. Can stand in there but gets lit up by holding it too long or by bad Oline play. He's not helped by not having great receivers but just having an arm isn't the issue with Bo. He's overthrown Schwartz a few too many times. It's incredible to see QBs stand in there and not panic and deliver the throw.  I've seen ND quarterback do it this year, Deshaun Watson, Herbert, Justin Fields but I've also seen them make unbelievable plays when they've felt like they've needed to. You can coach a player into stepping into the throw, hanging in there. As well as changing the play or allowing them freedom to call hotreads when needed. They also have something you can't teach than just having a cannon. 

Bo has heart, wants to win. Has won all his life and doesn't like to give up. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Last year he was a freshman and made freshman mistakes. With good instruction he would know when to trust his instincts to will his team to win and when to trust his guys when delivering the ball in a tight pocket. This year it's on whoever is coaching him. The evidence shows, Gus can't develop a quarterback even when given incredibly gifted and can't miss guys. Sometimes they're just so talented they can over come his ineptitude. This one, needs coaching or we're all going down. 

6 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Have you watched Cam here lately? Has all the tools, has all the drive but just makes some poor decisions. Can stand in there but gets lit up by holding it too long or by bad Oline play. He's not helped by not having great receivers but just having an arm isn't the issue with Bo. He's overthrown Schwartz a few too many times. It's incredible to see QBs stand in there and not panic and deliver the throw.  I've seen ND quarterback do it this year, Deshaun Watson, Herbert, Justin Fields but I've also seen them make unbelievable plays when they've felt like they've needed to. You can coach a player into stepping into the throw, hanging in there. As well as changing the play or allowing them freedom to call hotreads when needed. They also have something you can't teach than just having a cannon. 

Bo has heart, wants to win. Has won all his life and doesn't like to give up. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Last year he was a freshman and made freshman mistakes. With good instruction he would know when to trust his instincts to will his team to win and when to trust his guys when delivering the ball in a tight pocket. This year it's on whoever is coaching him. The evidence shows, Gus can't develop a quarterback even when given incredibly gifted and can't miss guys. Sometimes they're just so talented they can over come his ineptitude. This one, needs coaching or we're all going down. 

Or maybe it's just him most every top player isn't used to losing and don't like to lose. And wants to win and doesn't give up. That's a b.s.excuse made up to try to make Bo more than what he is. What he is is a decent QB prospect that doesn't do anything on an high level. When he actually does something on a high level then and only then can he be a high level player. This handing out high praise is probably why he can't play elite right now.

I'll be honest I didn't see what cam had to do with your point. And cam has been hurt because they allowed him to take hits over his career most QB's don't get and he's been used like a hb with attempts. Not because he holds the ball too long. 

But you're right if you're saying there's more to being a QB than just having an arm. I never said that. But if you do you get players like mahomes and Rodgers and Watson, if everything comes together. 

7 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

So Bo has zero accountability? 

3 hours ago, DAG said:

So Bo has zero accountability? 

I didn't say that. He's the one that throws blindly when getting sacked. He makes bad decisions sometimes. He's the one that threw the ball backwards against Arkansas. He drives me nuts with his wildly inaccurate throws. The running out of the pocket, not setting the feet, they need to do a better job coaching. That should be corrected before this year. But correct those things and there should be more accountability on the QB..

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

Or maybe it's just him most every top player isn't used to losing and don't like to lose. And wants to win and doesn't give up. That's a b.s.excuse made up to try to make Bo more than what he is. What he is is a decent QB prospect that doesn't do anything on an high level. When he actually does something on a high level then and only then can he be a high level player. This handing out high praise is probably why he can't play elite right now.

I'll be honest I didn't see what cam had to do with your point. And cam has been hurt because they allowed him to take hits over his career most QB's don't get and he's been used like a hb with attempts. Not because he holds the ball too long. 

But you're right if you're saying there's more to being a QB than just having an arm. I never said that. But if you do you get players like mahomes and Rodgers and Watson, if everything comes together. 

The point is...I think he can be a good game manager. And he has heart and can will his team to wins when it matters, I think. I think he's overrated just as you. But he's shown enough that he can make plays, can win and that's more than an arm. But I don't think he'll ever develop here because of the coaching. Same as Stidham, same as Malik, And others. You can facepalm it but it's true!

2 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

The running out of the pocket, not setting the feet, they need to do a better job coaching. That should be corrected before this year

The player is not going to improve these things unless; 1, he believes they need to change and 2, he is not pressed by a serious threat to replace him.    JMO.

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

The player is not going to improve these things unless; 1, he believes they need to change and 2, he is not pressed by a serious threat to replace him.    JMO.

I completely agree. 

10 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

I didn't say that. He's the one that throws blindly when getting sacked. He makes bad decisions sometimes. He's the one that threw the ball backwards against Arkansas. He drives me nuts with his wildly inaccurate throws. The running out of the pocket, not setting the feet, they need to do a better job coaching. That should be corrected before this year. But correct those things and there should be more accountability on the QB..

Well you alluded to that in your post by saying it is on his coaches . Honestly it’s on his coaches to scheme around him and put him in the best position to succeed, but it is on him to set his feet, to not over throw and to not just throw blindly. No amount of great coaching in the world can stop that. If a player continuous to revert back to those actions 

25 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well you alluded to that in your post by saying it is on his coaches . Honestly it’s on his coaches to scheme around him and put him in the best position to succeed, but it is on him to set his feet, to not over throw and to not just throw blindly. No amount of great coaching in the world can stop that. If a player continuous to revert back to those actions 

I agree with most of that. I was making the point that it's more than just talent or big arm to win. You need good QB coaching to correct the bad tendencies, good Oline, good receivers, etc. If he reverts back then that's on him. But so far I don't think the coaches have hammered home to stay in the pocket or setting the feet. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived