Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/13/2020 at 2:41 PM, Zeek said:

Updated 12/19/2020

Per https://www.google.com/amp/s/auburnwire.usatoday.com/lists/auburn-coaching-search-five-candidates-kevin-steele-billy-napier-steve-sarkisian-tony-elliott-brent-venables/amp/

Being Interviewed

Kevin Steele || Auburn Defensive Coordinator & Interim Head Coach

Billy Napier || Louisiana Head Coach

Steve Sarkisian || Alabama Offensive Coordinator

Brent Venables || Clemson Defensive Coordinator

Neal Brown || West Virginia Head Coach

Bill Clark || UAB Head Coach 

Names Worth Keeping in Mind:

Dan Quinn || Recently fired Atlanta Falcons Head Coach || No official interview has been set. I think the PTB were a little shocked with fan response to this name being leaked. Seems they thought fans might be excited by an NFL name but a lot of Auburn fans are Atlanta pro sport fans and hated the idea instantly and vehemently. 

Jeff Brohm || Purdue Head Coach || his name was floated out there as being likely to receive an interview. He apparently really wants the job at Auburn. However, Auburn fans haven't forgotten the absolute butt whooping Gus gave him in our bowl game. 

Eliminated or No Real Evidence of Being Pursued: 

Hugh Freeze || Liberty Head Coach || too many concerns on baggage and unwanted NCAA attention

Lane Kiffin || Ole Miss || while fans and players are interested there's no reliable evidence Auburn has or will pursue him. Character issues and a tendency to bolt have been mentioned

Mario Cristobal || Oregon Head Coach || while he hasn't put ink to paper yet he's agreed in principle. His wife has also tweeted out than you's and his quote about the contract seem telling. Still has yet to like/retweet/tweet anything about the extension which is odd considering his usual activity on the platform. The Athletic Department seemed prepared to go get him but the boosters couldn't get out of the way. 

Tom Allen || Indiana Head Coach || no real connections showing Auburn interest. Doesn't help he has a massive buyout too. 

Luke Fickell || Cincinnati Head Coach || never coached outside of Ohio despite working at 3 different schools. His contract is all the way through 2026 and there's been no buzz around him as a real candidate.

Jamey Chadwell || Coastal Carolina Head Coach || never heard his name mentioned even once. Now the Chantis are looking to give him a huge extension. 

Tony Elliott || Clemson Offensive Coordinator || declined an interview

Updated OP

I asked myself .. what would Bruce Pearl do? He would go after the best. What did Bama do? Go get the best( go get Saban and don't come back without him. BTW, he was not from the south. Plus, Auburn is a GREAT  place to live.  So, that argument is just wasting time.  Money, is not an issue. So, why are we acting like betas? Why are we not hearing about reaching out to  :  MC, LF, CP, UM type hires. We need to upgrade the brand. It will pay off.  A great investment,  just ask Bama. No harm to ask these people. 

11 minutes ago, Taco said:

Lol. I guess if you JUST read that part of all the things I’ve said. Sure you can take that statement for what you want me to be lol

Not even going to issue a denial, huh. Might as well just start up another burner account, kiddo.

Depressing state this Auburn Football program is in right now with these High Caliber coaching candidates 🤢

1 hour ago, WarDamn2010 said:

I agree with this entirely...except the part where people say that Gus was the best recruiter we've had. I've never heard anything but the opposite. 

really? You have never seen the whole defense that we were keeping Gus to hold the recruiting class together? That he never finished lower than 12th in recruiting? That this year exposed Gus because he wasnt able to get recruits on campus for Auburn to sell itself? So it showed it wasnt Gus that was the excellent recruiter but Auburn itself?

If im incorrecr then by all means someone correct me

2 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

really? You have never seen the whole defense that we were keeping Gus to hold the recruiting class together? That he never finished lower than 12th in recruiting? That this year exposed Gus because he wasnt able to get recruits on campus for Auburn to sell itself? So it showed it wasnt Gus that was the excellent recruiter but Auburn itself?

didn't we take an extremely small class? that with the whole fire gus thing i think were the true factors for this class

1 minute ago, BigBlueWDE said:

JGT has updated the Hot Board. Free preview shows it as:

1A/1B (30% each): Steele and Napier

2 (20%): Sark

3 (10%): Cristobal

4 (8%): Lane Train

5 (2%): Neal Brown

I've also heard this from someone who has a Bunker account. The moderator said the same thing.

2 minutes ago, BigBlueWDE said:

Steele was by himself as the leading candidate a few days ago, so progress?

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

Steele was by himself as the leading candidate a few days ago, so progress?

That 10% Cristobal has me feeling randy

3 minutes ago, BigBlueWDE said:

Which means it will be none of the above😏

3 minutes ago, BigBlueWDE said:

That sucks if true! The 1A choice.

247 still has steele at got damn 60 percent. That site is like the steele campaign headquarters. They are obsessed with him. Why can't they just let him go?!

14 minutes ago, BigBlueWDE said:

Gee, where’s Derek Dooley and Mike Shula on this banner list? 😅

why would anyone want to come coach at auburn knowing the interference and even possible backstabbing that could be lurking? unless it is someone that can hire their own choices for the staff to lessen that you can just about bet the farm it will be someone who needs redemption or an up and comer needing a chance to get the hire? people are taking notice of that kind of thing now. rumor was herman wanted the s caroline job because the texas folks are as bad or worse than ours and they will not get out of the way. now that might have just been rumor but it sounds right.

and what happened to the sweater vest guy fird from ohio state a few years back? i cannot remember all the violations he had but i believe he was considered a great coach for a while before his fall from grace.

Sark and Kiffin are two sides of the same coin. Both great offensive minds but only above average HC's and too inconsistent to sustain success.

Sark did a solid job at Washington but it was Chris Peterson that took Washington to the next level. Sark didn't do much better than Kiffin at USC. I know he had personal issues but when you have the resources and talent available at USC, neither Sark or Kiffin won big.

That's why I keep going back to Napier. He's proving he can win and develop players without the resources and talent pool.  Despite that, he still had back-to-back #1 recruiting classes in the Sun Belt in 2019 and 2020. He's also more consistent in W/L. They won 11 game last year and are 9-1 this year with a win over ranked Iowa State on the road.

40 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I think he's referring to people saying he's weird, awkward, etc. Not that he was a bad recruiter, and not that his recruiting classes weren't good, but that he wasn't the best recruiter on the staff.

24 minutes ago, BigBlueWDE said:

The we offered Sark leak (if true and not totally fabricated) makes sense now. No way this gets leaked if there’s a chance Sark is coming.With KS still the leading candidate, all they need to do is come up with a reason for Napier not being the guy..

Then KS is named HC

1 minute ago, Jaba4ever said:

I think he's referring to people saying he's weird, awkward, etc. Not that he was a bad recruiter, and not that his recruiting classes weren't good, but that he wasn't the best recruiter on the staff.

Gus appeared to have great relationships with the players.  That could work for recruits, too.

Archived