Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

1 hour ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Well according to Wikipedia, Sark is the new head coach 😂

LOL... already taken down, but still appearing in Google search summary:

image.png

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, JTFazz said:

image.png

Hasn’t Wikipedia said we’ve had like three head coaches since Gus has been fired?

39 minutes ago, AUGrad1996 said:

I feel exactly the same way.  My Bama friends can't understand why I'd not want Sark over Cristobal.  Sark is a fine OC but you put AU's players running those plays against Bama or UGA, does anyone really think our guys are running open like that?  It's not just scheme, it's talent.  There's a reason they are 4 and 5 star guys. 

For those critical of MC's gameday coaching and game management, I agree.  That can be fixed with time.  And for mistakes he may make along the way, superior talent often covers for things like that.  Right now we could have Bill Belichick coaching our roster and Adam Gase coaching UGA's or Bama's roster and we would lose most every time.  Talent matters.  You have to be within striking distance talent wise before gameday coaching even comes into play.

You don’t feel he could scheme with Flash and Seth. Especially with Tank in the backfield and Tight Ends like Auburn has? I think he could...look what he was able to do when Waddle went down. Even when everyone knew 6 was the man. Auburn has more underutilized talent than anyone in the SEC.

5 minutes ago, JTFazz said:

image.png

At least he wasnt recently hired at the University of Auburn. Those rascals take so much from us as it is 

1 minute ago, PoetTiger said:

You don’t feel he could scheme with Flash and Seth. Especially with Tank in the backfield and Tight Ends like Auburn has? I think he could...look what he was able to do when Waddle went down. Even when everyone knew 6 was the man. Auburn has more underutilized talent than anyone in the SEC.

Totally agree. Sark is #1 for me

19 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

Hasn’t Wikipedia said we’ve had like three head coaches since Gus has been fired?

Maybe that’s because .....

625EEE74-8D36-46AF-BFFA-4BDED0AA8C54.jpeg

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

You know... Context is everything... I was clearly talking about coaching staffs

What you clearly said was "Gus is the best recruiter we've had". That sounds very much like you're talking about the man, not his staff. Just saying. No need to be so hostile though. 

11 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Chuck Norris wouldn't last 5 seconds with Wade Christopher and one arm tied behind his back.

Well, Chuck is 80 years old. Mark Mangino might be able to take him.

31 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

I feel like he's a good OC, so scheme is fine.  I'm not knocking that.  But you have to understand as a defensive coach, it's harder to roll coverage to a Devonta Smith when there is a John Metchie and/or Waddle on the field with him.  Also, the Alabama OL gives Mac Jones just a bit more time than Bo Nix would get.  There's a reason for that, their line is more talented as well. 

Take that crossing route Smith scored on last night, he was running wide open.  Go find that play on Youtube, run a stopwatch on how long Mac Jones waited on that 5 star, 1st round NFL WR to clear and be that wide open.  Then take that same stopwatch time and go pick a game from our season.  See how often Bo Nix would have had time to deliver that ball even had Devonta Smith been an Auburn Tiger running that route. 

It's just not an apples to apples comparison, and if you want it to be, you must fix the recruiting first.  And that's where I've seen no evidence in Sark's history that he is the beast recruiter that you would have to be sandwiched in between Saban and Smart geographically.  If we hire him, I'll support him and pray that he can be.  But one thing I am sure of, if he isn't that beast recruiter, the play design only gets him so far.  And it won't be far enough to keep UGA and Bama from savaging us at the line of scrimmage the way they did this year.  

Just now, TexasTiger said:

So who thinks we sign Seastrunk?

Clearly this was his plan all along. He WAS coming to Auburn, just not in the capacity everyone hoped for initially. Also, he'll be responsible for yet another 300 page thread. What a legend.

9 minutes ago, AUGrad1996 said:

I feel like he's a good OC, so scheme is fine.  I'm not knocking that.  But you have to understand as a defensive coach, it's harder to roll coverage to a Devonta Smith when there is a John Metchie and/or Waddle on the field with him.  Also, the Alabama OL gives Mac Jones just a bit more time than Bo Nix would get.  There's a reason for that, their line is more talented as well. 

Take that crossing route Smith scored on last night, he was running wide open.  Go find that play on Youtube, run a stopwatch on how long Mac Jones waited on that 5 star, 1st round NFL WR to clear and be that wide open.  Then take that same stopwatch time and go pick a game from our season.  See how often Bo Nix would have had time to deliver that ball even had Devonta Smith been an Auburn Tiger running that route. 

It's just not an apples to apples comparison, and if you want it to be, you must fix the recruiting first.  And that's where I've seen no evidence in Sark's history that he is the beast recruiter that you would have to be sandwiched in between Saban and Smart geographically.  If we hire him, I'll support him and pray that he can be.  But one thing I am sure of, if he isn't that beast recruiter, the play design only gets him so far.  And it won't be far enough to keep UGA and Bama from savaging us at the line of scrimmage the way they did this year.  

Seth and Flash are just as good to work with. Now the biggest difference is the time Mac has to work with behind an elite oline. 

Screenshot_20201220-193814_Twitter.jpg

It's probably how his Twitter always is but there's no Alabama imagery anywhere in his profile pic/banner/bio

Man is he bland on Twitter though

In the Mystery Candidate thread.  Someone screenshot JBoy tweet who he considers My Rushmore coaches. Only possible candidates for here would be Riley and Pete Carroll from his list.  So by default Riley if there even is one.  

48 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

Yes, the coups are happening really fast now. 

Just now, PoetTiger said:

Seth and Flash are just as good to work with. Now the biggest difference is the time Mac has to work with behind an elite oline. 

We will just have to disagree on the WR as I feel Bama is superior there.  But I think the more salient point is the undeniable talent gap across the entire depth chart, not just one position.  Take Tank, I think he could be every bit as good if not better than Harris is at Bama.  But Harris runs behind a Bama OL that right now we don't have a single player that could break into their starting five.  Consider how much harder it is just based on that alone.  It changes everything for the play caller and also changes what the defense can do to stop you.

If Sark is hired and he is successful, it will be because he first addresses that talent gap so that the scheme matters enough to win the game against the likes of Bama and UGA.  He doesn't have to win every recruiting battle but it's going to take Top 5 type classes if we want to compete with the likes of Bama, UGA, and long term even LSU. 

Archived