Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Maverick.AU said:

This again? Ugh 

Sorry love the guy BUT I would be disgusted and become a 100% basketball fan and watch AU Football during my Saturday nap time. 

2 minutes ago, Ryan Sanders said:

We all know nothing. He knows nothing. Based off my research of Cristobal's twitter account, he did not follow the Auburn players today. Time to just relax... drink A LOT... smoke A LOT... and hope for the best.

dr3.gif

3 minutes ago, Ryan Sanders said:

We all know nothing. He knows nothing. Based off my research of Cristobal's twitter account, he did not follow the Auburn players today. Time to just relax... drink A LOT... smoke A LOT... and hope for the best.

Then you didn’t research well enough. He absolutely did follow auburn players today, I saw it in real time.

27 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I mean a lot of people were high on caddy. Twill had his issues and garner probably ready to retire. Was just curious if there might be mutual interest for caddy considering how high he is thought of by people

Unless there are just horrible philosophical differences, I'd expect whomever we hire to try to keep Steele, TWill, Garner, and Caddy. They've all done phenomenal jobs. I'd maybe even expect them to try to keep the defensive staff together somewhat. Keep in mind that we just agreed to buy out the head coach for 20 million. Every assistant coach we let go of will also have a buyout, which will further cut into the new head coach's budget for his staff. 

This isn't a 2008 or 2012 scenario where the bottom fell out of the program. The new coach doesn't need to throw out the baby with the bathwater. They just need to prune the dead limbs off the tree. 

2 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Unless there are just horrible philosophical differences, I'd expect whomever we hire to try to keep Steele, TWill, Garner, and Caddy. They've all done phenomenal jobs. I'd maybe even expect them to try to keep the defensive staff together somewhat. Keep in mind that we just agreed to buy out the head coach for 20 million. Every assistant coach we let go of will also have a buyout, which will further cut into the new head coach's budget for his staff. 

This isn't a 2008 or 2012 scenario where the bottom fell out of the program. The new coach doesn't need to throw out the baby with the bathwater. They just need to prune the dead limbs off the tree. 

A new coach will want his own staff. Period.

And they should get that opportunity.

11 minutes ago, rhughes said:

It's going to be Freeze

I sure am not going to "cast the first stone" at Freeze because that would make me hypocritical as hell, but I would prefer it not be him. He would be an upgrade, but the optics would just not be good at all

Just now, Butthead said:

If they wanted Steele, they should have just 'demoted' Gus until he quit.  Stupid.  

He has a contract.  Demoting him would be the same as firing him.

Again... IMO... reading tea leaves from insiders we fired Gus to get Mario and things were looking good. Now Oregon is playing for the  Pac whatever and is willing to pay a lot more $$. He may now stay and we will Move on to the next guy if he does. 

3 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

And coaches most of the time want to bring their own staff and make their own decisions on who gets retained.

Just now, AUFriction said:

I keep hearing this but as an incoming Coach this hardly ever happens and every coach wants to come in and put his stamp on the program. Seems like every time we hire a new coach this is mentioned but never happens for obvious reasons. I am personally good with cleaning house and moving on from the Chizik/Malzahn era. 

29 minutes ago, fredst said:

For my man @GwillMac6:

This thread has it all just like you wanted out of a coaching search thread: endless ridiculous speculation about HC candidates and their potential staff, Twitter rumors, trolling, swearing at each other, etc.  And, even an excellent side bar about the merits of small versus full sized chocolate candies! This thread thread is becoming more epic by the hour!!! WWWWWOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! LFG!!!!!!!!!!!!

As long as it does not end with Steele as our next head coach then it will be legendary. I do not want to become infamous.

i dont expect him to say anything auburn tonight in the presser if anything someone may say

"Coach you are linked to a few other jobs"

and he will give the normal

"I'm only focused on the team im coaching and our game this weekend"  quote that coaches usually give

Archived