Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

Listened to a podcast today from P. Marshall and others regarding Gus and the new coaching search. As usual, they all want to downplay AU, their fans, the situation. 

Here's my take for any potential candidate to read and digest.

AU pays their coaches top 10 money and always has. AU has a great fan base and is right in the middle of a top recruiting area. AU is a great place to live, with great weather, lots of amenities and a great place to raise a family.

So if you're the next great coach, what better place to come prove it. As a top coach you should want to compete against the best and if you're worth your money, you'll compete very well against them. If you do that, the fans and the University will love you, you'll get paid handsomely, and you'll get to live in a great small town with an incredible atmosphere.

Sure, if you lose 12 straight road games to top teams, lose every year or couple of years to someone you have no business losing to, get blown out multiple times by your rivals, run stupid plays over and over, and say dumb things to your fans, all while you're earning top 10 money, they'll eat you alive. AND THEY SHOULD!!

WAR EAGLE!

gabo

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"marcello now saying its likely Steele" ............ im being honest if steele isnt announced as HC   by atleast Thursday of this week all these auburn beat writers are gonna have poop on their hands by insisting that it is

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

No consideration to signing day is idiotic

No it's not.  It's early signing day, not the final one.  Think about a hire for the next 10 years and not just this one.

1 minute ago, gabo4au said:

Listened to a podcast today from P. Marshall and others regarding Gus and the new coaching search. As usual, they all want to downplay AU, their fans, the situation. 

AU pays their coaches top 10 money and always has. AU has a great fan base and is right in the middle of a top recruiting area. AU is a great place to live, with great weather, lots of amenities and a great place to raise a family.

So if you're the next great coach, what better place to come prove it. As a top coach you should want to compete against the best and if you're worth your money, you'll compete very well against them. If you do that, the fans and the University will love you, you'll get paid handsomely, and you'll get to live in a great small town with an incredible atmosphere.

Sure, if you lose 12 straight road games to top teams, lose every year or couple of years to someone you have no business losing to, get blown out multiple times by your rivals, run stupid plays over and over, and say dumb things to your fans, all while you're earning top 10 money, they'll eat you alive. AND THEY SHOULD!!

WAR EAGLE!

gabo

Listening to PM was your first mistake 

I think the committee will settle on Brian VanGorder.    Sources tell me a delivery of extra firm 'stache wax and AU gear was just dropped off at his Bowling Green. OH residence.

1 hour ago, shabby said:

Doesn't the head coach typically pick his staff. And if so would that mean we already have the hire its just not announced?

Unless Dell for HC? 🥵

2 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

pablo thinks like us. I didn’t know the presser was scheduled for earlier lol

Oregon to the PAC 12 title game just got announced too though, could be scrambling due to that

Just now, MJDub said:

Oregon to the PAC 12 title game just got announced too though, could be scrambling due to that

That's what I was thinking.

9 minutes ago, Zeek said:

No consideration to signing day is idiotic

lol no it is not. Bro rushing in to a hire leaves you with a kevin steele like hire. This class is not even great as it is. in the 40's. You hire a elite recruiter and it will pay dividends for several classes down the road.

2 minutes ago, gabo4au said:

WAR EAGLE!

gabo

This was dissected pretty heavily a week or so ago. I'm not going to recycle all the points raised on that thread in detail, but, in short, Auburn's disadvantages are:

1. You have to play LSU, Bama, and UGA every year, which makes the path to an NC harder than it would be for other teams. 

2. Your two biggest recruiting states, GA and AL, have schools that are recruiting at a level never seen previously. 

3. A lot of the prospects in those 2 recruiting states grow up Bama or UGA fans.

4. Agree or not, the outward perception of Auburn fans, especially in other conference regions, is that we are finicky rather than incredible, and that our expectations are too high. 

5. The boosters, as we have seen in this hire process, meddle in the program a lot. 

So, the coach we hire has to be willing to jump a lot of hurdles. Even though we are a prestigious program, other schools at our level have an easier time convincing coaches to come there than we do. 

3 minutes ago, MJDub said:

It was moved before the PAC-12 championship announcement 

Just now, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

Napier would be light years better than Steele and I can’t see him flat turning down the job. Surely Steele would be a dead last resort for the PTB. 

Hey, at least he's not 5-19...

Oh wait, 9-36 is pretty much the same win percentage.

2 minutes ago, MJDub said:

That’s true too. I mean, I guess it just feels like a lot of delaying for that kind of thing.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

lol no it is not. Bro rushing in to a hire leaves you with a kevin steele like hire. This class is not even great as it is. in the 40's. You hire a elite recruiter and it will pay dividends for several classes down the road.

My point is I think they know their guy and are delaying the announcement. Not sure who is gassing everyone up about Steele but I don't see it actually happening.

21 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Does Wade Christopher’s level of football skills also carry over to his level of coaching ability???

if so I want him!!!!!

There is no need to ask this question...the answer is obvious!

Archived