Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

1 minute ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

I don’t know who is pushing for him but they don’t know football or finances. 

8A52278F-DD19-42F2-903F-FAD86FF24368.jpeg

Supposedly it's Harbert pushing for Steele.

To which I say, if that ass clown has any say in who we hire after his Gus contract debacle, I'd be the first one leading a line to whip his ass.

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

lol no it is not. Bro rushing in to a hire leaves you with a kevin steele like hire. This class is not even great as it is. in the 40's. You hire a elite recruiter and it will pay dividends for several classes down the road.

I 100% agree but if it were Steele just end the misery already 😂

4 minutes ago, MJDub said:

Oregon to the PAC 12 title game just got announced too though, could be scrambling due to that

I didn't think Oregon won their division? I thought Washington was supposed to play USC? How did they even get in?

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

lol no it is not. Bro rushing in to a hire leaves you with a kevin steele like hire. This class is not even great as it is. in the 40's. You hire a elite recruiter and it will pay dividends for several classes down the road.

The folks in the know have been saying that there were a lot of folks quietly softly committed that were waiting to see what happens with the coaching situation. I don't know how many or how great those players are, but the class is bigger and higher rated than it shows officially. But if we fail to make this hire soon, those silent commits will go elsewhere. 

1 minute ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

If it’s Steele, Auburn will never contend for anything in football for the (long) foreseeable future! Mark my words, it would be a disaster.

Just now, Tigerpro2a said:

I didn't think Oregon won their division? I thought Washington was supposed to play USC? How did they even get in?

I think UW wasn’t going to be able to play due to something Covid related

Washington doesn’t have any OL to play in the game

1 minute ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Covid sweepstakes at UW

Washington couldn't play due to Covid

2 hours ago, jluvah said:

If it’s Steele, Auburn will never contend for anything in football for the (long) foreseeable future! Mark my words, it would be a disaster.

Harbert is the one pushing for Steele he had to help undo the mess started with Gus buyout and now feels he should have a say in the coaching search thus his choice is saving cash and promoting Steele 

It's literally only Harbart wanting Steele and honestly they need to tell him to kick rocks and give him his money back. Someone else can pay whatever he paid.

Word is now from some of the same that believe Steele leads is that AU has officially hired a search firm.

wasn't marcello's tweet earilier that ALL of this would be said, but Auburn was "zeroing in" on their guy?

So I don't see why an artificial or superficial Divison title would change anything with the Cuban Commander

Timing of an announcement, perhaps

2 hours ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

Harbert is the one pushing Steele he is trying to have a say in hiring the next coach, so his choice is save cash and promote Steele

3 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

The folks in the know have been saying that there were a lot of folks quietly softly committed that were waiting to see what happens with the coaching situation. I don't know how many or how great those players are, but the class is bigger and higher rated than it shows officially. But if we fail to make this hire soon, those silent commits will go elsewhere. 

Were these people talking about the silent commits the same ones who used to tell us Gus was saving his best plays until we played one of our rivals?

11 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

@Zeek

Make ZERO sense to delay announcement if it’s Steele. Could very well lose a few key defensive signees to others if that were the case. An unforced error. 

6 minutes ago, Zeek said:

My point is I think they know their guy and are delaying the announcement. Not sure who is gassing everyone up about Steele but I don't see it actually happening.

It is SO SO SO freaking hard to swipe a sitting power 5 head coach who is even mildly successful let alone a dude coming off a rose bowl and pac 12 title. It is going to be a fight to the very end if we have indeed zero'd in on him.

Just now, Eagle-1 said:

Were these people talking about the silent commits the same ones who used to tell us Gus was saving his best plays until we played one of our rivals?

This is not some "hunch" I have. This came from people who report on Auburn probably about 5 weeks ago. 

2 hours ago, AUFriction said:

So, you admit it isn't a recruiting problem with QBs then. High school recruiting is all about potential. You bring in guys that have the skills to possibly be good QBs, and you coach them into those kinds of QBs. Gus had no problem getting people here with potential. It was what happened after they arrived that was a failure. 

Name a program that doesn't rhyme with SchmalaSchmama that goes more than 3 deep on ready to play running backs. Most programs have 1 or 2 really good ones that are ready to play. If you have that much depth, there's someone on your team that could be starting elsewhere, and someone is going to transfer out. 

So, I'll repeat. Aside from OL, it was NOT a recruiting problem. 

I wasn't going to do this, but NO, I don't admit there isn't a problem with recruiting QBSs!   Gus absolutely can't select and recruit QBs.   Are you a troll?  And you absolutely took my post out of context.  I am not an idiot. 

he recruited and  Tyler Queen over Lamar Jackson?  Was that so smart?  Did get develop depth there? 

Jeremy Johnson - Gus and company never got him developed.  Great upside, but we didn't get the job done.  

Sean White - couldn't keep him out of trouble off the field and he was 'smart' enough to keep taking on LBs; hello? "Sean,  you have no back up and just need to slide."     Read that part again - you have no back up.  that is why we lost to OU in the 2016 bowl.  NO BACK UP.   We had so much depth in 2016 that Gus used White vs UGA  when could not throw more than 12-15 yards.   Did you watch any of this???  If we had depth (from recruiting), S White would not have played injured the last 3 games that year.  

Because he had no pipeline and zero depth - they were able to land J Stidham from Baylor.   If we had any depth, Stidham was going to TX Tech where he originally committed or TAMU.  

I love Joey Gatewood - but he can't break into to play QB at kentucky where they don't really throw the ball.  Speaks volumes on its own merit.   

How bout now....we have so much depth, we go get Loy from Akron (?) to come in as our back up.  

And there is no rule you can only recruit or sign 1 QB per year.  Gus could sign 5 if he wanted...

Names on the rosters do not constitute depth.  Depth means you have quality players who can step on the field and play.   Yes, every program misses on some players.   

If you miss more than your peers, you lose your job.  

I honestly don't think you are serious if you think we had QB depth and RB depth at Auburn the past 8 yrs.

6 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Supposedly it's Harbert pushing for Steele.

To which I say, if that ass clown has any say in who we hire after his Gus contract debacle, I'd be the first one leading a line to whip his ass.

If he wasn’t footing the entire 21 million+ check in buyout money then it shouldn’t matter. What kind of business decision is paying up that much money to keep a guy who was going to be on staff regardless. 

Archived