Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

2 minutes ago, Chicagofan said:

Long time lurker. I definitely don’t have any insider information, but my grandson just called me and said that Auburn is going to interview Ed Orgeron. 

Does anyone know if there any truth to this? 

I figured you all are absolutely the most informed fans and it anyone knows it would be this group.
Said his dad heard this on a Bama message board. 

...appreciate any information 

I don't know how to say this nicely.....

Your grandson is either a buffoon or straight lying to you.

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

What is this strange fascination with clark?

For me it is he has proven he can win. He has proven he can build a program under the absolute worst circumstances. His players will do anything for him. He wouldn't be my first choice but if he was hired I wouldn't complain.

UAB has played NCAA football at some level since 1991. They have 140 wins during that 29 year time span. Clark will be finishing his 5th season with their third straight championship game trip. Of the 140 wins he has coached 39 of them. The guy is responsible for almost 30% of the programs all time wins. He has done this while having the program shut down after his first season there. Prior to UAB he took over a 6-5 JSU team, won 11 games, and reached the 1AA quarters. Before that he won in HS. 

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

That was my first reaction also. Thanks for the response. I will see if I can find out exactly where he got this from. 

5 minutes ago, Chicagofan said:

Long time lurker. I definitely don’t have any insider information, but my grandson just called me and said that Auburn is going to interview Ed Orgeron. 

I figured you all are absolutely the most informed fans and it anyone knows it would be this group.

Not a chance

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Very few schools have.  It's not something that happens often.

And to think there will be another when they hire Gus. 😃

My Two cents on where things stand as of now.

MC is the target, he had opportunity to deny interest and did not.  His priorities changed when OU announced into PAC12 Championship.  Does it mean it is a done deal and we must just wait, of course not, never that simple unfortunately, but plenty reason for optimism.

Steele is not a legitimate candidate but is an important buffer in holding together the recruiting class.  So signs of confidence or stability are important in accomplishing what needs to get done in the next 24 hours and they will deserve credit for the signatures we get tomorrow.

After waiting this long, lets be patient and let things play out and hope we get our man.  But with that said it is great to bounce thoughts and ideas around and enjoy the coach search and then who the assistants are gonna be.  WDE 

7 minutes ago, Chicagofan said:

No, not happening

21 minutes ago, VegasEagle said:

Christopher Scott Petersen , comments?

None because he's not a candidate & likely has no desire to leave Seattle.

13 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@tbone4jcGo back & look at his time at Bama & look who he landed as the primary recruiter. The man is one of the best recruiters in the game & there's no ifs, ands, or butts about it.

To me, that is what we need. A absolute top tier recruiter what can run a program, hire good staff, give that staff authority and then demand accountability from them.

7 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Nope.  But no one is talking about MC coaching a bowl game.

He hasn't accepted another job yet so your comparison is pointless.

Not necessarily as Gus was holding Auburn hostage over the SECCG and there is no indication (publicly) that MC is holding Oregon hostage.  It would be interesting if MC publicly stated he is in negotiations with Auburn just to see the reaction of Oregon.

2 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

My Two cents on where things stand as of now.

MC is the target, he had opportunity to deny interest and did not.  His priorities changed when OU announced into PAC12 Championship.  Does it mean it is a done deal and we must just wait, of course not, never that simple unfortunately, but plenty reason for optimism.

Steele is not a legitimate candidate but is an important buffer in holding together the recruiting class.  So signs of confidence or stability are important in accomplishing what needs to get done in the next 24 hours and they will deserve credit for the signatures we get tomorrow.

After waiting this long, lets be patient and let things play out and hope we get our man.  But with that said it is great to bounce thoughts and ideas around and enjoy the coach search and then who the assistants are gonna be.  WDE 

I’ll accept this

2 minutes ago, Chicagofan said:

That was my first reaction also. Thanks for the response. I will see if I can find out exactly where he got this from. 

I wouldn’t go with that hard of an assessment on him. Maybe a buddy of his is messing with him and told him that? Maybe he’s trying to pull one over on you? Maybe he heard bits of info from somewhere and misunderstood? 

22 minutes ago, The Freak said:

You should start a new thread (or two) about it.

No. We have a thread for Mario concerns. He can post his concerns in there.

2 hours ago, Jones Field said:

And here is your "search committee"

Members of the advisory group include:

Allen Greene; Director of Athletics
Lieutenant General Ron Burgess; Executive Vice President, Auburn University
Dr. Beverly Marshall, Auburn Faculty Athletic Representative
Tim Jackson; Executive Associate AD, Auburn Athletics
Bo Jackson; Auburn Football Letterman, 1985 Heisman Trophy Winner
Quentin Riggins; Auburn Football Letterman, Auburn Board of Trustee
Randy Campbell; Auburn Football Letterman
Michelle McKenna; Chief Information Officer, National Football League

i just got on here real quick after reading phils article mentions Bo Jackson is in favor of Steele being HC........yikes WTH?BO?

11 minutes ago, Chicagofan said:

image.jpeg

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

Ummm do you remember the insane contract Harbert had a huge hand in Gus getting 2 years ago? I don't think there's a dumb move that man won't make. He wants Steele & is trying to get other influentials on his side.

Been following a lot of your insight for years, but I hope you're wrong on this one. 

10 minutes ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

Has Auburn ever hired

a coach that has a P5 championship on their reseme?

Tubs was the only comparable hire that has happened in my 45 years. Huge difference, though, in that Cristobal *lives* to recruit. 

This would be new territory for this program IMO.

22 minutes ago, Jones Field said:

And here is your "search committee"

Members of the advisory group include:

Allen Greene; Director of Athletics
Lieutenant General Ron Burgess; Executive Vice President, Auburn University
Dr. Beverly Marshall, Auburn Faculty Athletic Representative
Tim Jackson; Executive Associate AD, Auburn Athletics
Bo Jackson; Auburn Football Letterman, 1985 Heisman Trophy Winner
Quentin Riggins; Auburn Football Letterman, Auburn Board of Trustee
Randy Campbell; Auburn Football Letterman
Michelle McKenna; Chief Information Officer, National Football League

@Jones FieldWhere did you get this from?

12 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

A simple no would suffice.

2 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

This is all about what you prefer.  I'd choose Oregon over east Alabama every time, but that's me.  I like the PNW.

Closer to family and friends

This is reasonable

See sunshine more that 4 times per year

Summer in Oregon > Summer in the South

SEC Football  and all other sports- not wrestling

SEC football can be a selling point.  It can also be a detriment, especially the AU job.  Expectations are insane compared to Oregon.  I can see the appeal in staying.

This is true, but Summer is 3 months, the other 9 are Winter. 

Believe it or not, the Winters where I grew up in Blount County (Oneonta) are colder than those in Eugene. And it snows as much in both places. Eugene is in the valley floor and there is a LOT of geothermal activity really close to the ground, which keeps it much warmer during the Winters than one would assume. I mean go a few hours to the east in the Oregon desert and you can get to -60 during the nights... But in Eugene it rarely gets below freezing and when it does its EXTREMELY rare to get below the 20s. 

The summers tho... It just makes it worth it. It can get to 105° during the day and once the sun goes down you will need a long sleeve shirt or light jacket. Those 3 months of summer are glorious. Most places dont even have AC.  But once those 3 months are over... Once September hits, it goes back to 40° Grey with a light drizzle until June.

As far as the 2nd part, I mean I guess... But the truth is that sports arent really a big deal in Oregon. Sure there are some diehard Seahawks and Trailblazer fans. But even in Eugene well over half of the people hate college football season because of the traffic it brings to their daily lives. 

Eugene/Auburn isnt even comparable when it comes to sports environment. I hate to even bring ANYTHING political up, but we are talking democrats/republican differences between just the town the universities themselves are in relation to the way the town views football season. Rather than being excited about Oregon Football the people of Eugene (generally speaking) views football season as something it must bear with... Eugene isnt exactly the place one goes that lives and breathes college football. Add that to the fact Oregon produces worse high school football talent than what Troy can recruit and there is just no comparison

Would it be the third party search firm that would handle background checks and any other formal vetting? I would assume there's value in paying an external entity to do that. 

As for the advisory board, that's just a bunch of Auburn folks that were undoubtedly decided upon before Gus was fired. And giving it a day before announcing them could have been done out of respect to Gus.

There are rules to the game, folks. I don't know exactly what they are but it's super easy to come up with explanations for all of this that are way more rational and logical than "OMG WE HAVE NO IDEA WHAT WE'RE DOING IT'S GONNA BE RHETT LASHLEE ISN'T IT SOMEBODY PLEASE HOLD ME"

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@Jones FieldWhere did you get this from?

Tom Green has also tweeted out the same.

Edit: Also, wasn't the person you @'ed but I saw it on twitter myself and got on here to see what people were saying about it. lol

Archived