Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Kiffin or Briles?

-or-

Kiffin AND Briles?

Sounds good. Also, love Queen!!!

9 minutes ago, EagleEye67 said:

[Chorus: Queen]
I want it all, I want it all
I want it all, and I want it now
I want it all, I want it all
I want it all, and I want it now

I need it
(Everything now!) I want it
(Everything now!) I can't live without
(Everything now!) I can't live without
(Everything now!)
(Everything

Arcade Fire – Everything Now Lyrics | Genius Lyrics

19 minutes ago, AUDynasty said:

Can anyone answer one question that's been bothering me?

I'm all in on Cristobal sweepstakes, but if Oregon really wants to keep him--don't they have Phil Knight? That guy is a billionaire. If Oregon is serious about keeping him at Eugene, can we compete with that kind of money? Unless Knight isn't as hands-on as I thought he would be. I've been following this thread somewhat closely so apologies if this has been answered.

Phil knight is more than football just like Tim is more than football to Auburn. These guys probably couldn’t  care less about paying coaches salaries. They make their money other ways more effectively .

This is no different than Arkansas fans asking why Jerry Jones doesn’t foot the bill to get a coach to Arkansas.

Phil Is probably thinking “I give these guys all the Nike Gear and Nike glow in the world. They really need my money too?!”

50 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

I used to think recruiting was about 80% of a head coach's job. I now think the 80% estimate is too low.

It’s a team effort but you definitely need assistance that are great recruiters.

1 hour ago, VegasEagle said:

Screenshot_20201215-115333_Google.jpg

Unless Petersen's chronically ill son gets miraculously better (which would be awesome don't misunderstand me) I don't see any reason he leaves Seattle even in his post-coaching days. The move to Washington was a perfect fit from Boise because he was only moving closer to his son's pediatrician.

The transition away from coaching reportedly had everything to do with Chris wanting to be closer with his family, thought I don't know if that was any kind of hint toward the health of his child. Again, I hope they are well. Regardless, just because he isn't coaching doesn't mean he's available either...

14 minutes ago, tbone1430 said:

They have one billionaire, we have multiple ones. 

Their billionaire is worth over $50 billion.

The only Auburn billionaires I know of are 1-3 ish (Jimmy. Timmy, and Ray Ray)

This was written 5 years ago but it's about the search firm we hired out of Atlanta, Georgia

searchfirm.PNG

LoL at anyone who thinks we can compete with Phil Knight money. 

That said Phil hasnt ever shown the interest in bidding for a coach. See Kelly and Taggert leaving for higher paying jobs. 

14 minutes ago, Tiger1992 said:

If they make an announcement on Saturday and take eyes and discussion away from the SECC they are going to piss off the SEC.

Disagree, only adds to the gauntlet that the SEC already is. “It just means more”

27 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Listening to JBoy and Marcello talk

1. JB said he'd be shocked if Auburn didn't have a plan. BM says there's no plan. 

2. BM predicted the sear committee and said the search would actually start on Wednesday. 

3. BM mentions there's ONE booster pushing KSteele. He's apparently been trying to sell KS as Gus replacement for a while. They never say his name but we all know it's ******* Herbart.

4. Jay Gouge wants to go through a process and is likely the one making them take their time.

5. Allen Greene has almost zero power apparently.

6. JB says if Cristobal is the guy obviously the PAC-12 game change has slowed down the process.

7. BM is officially a dumb a**. Says he doesn't think CMC is happening and thinks he's looking to get extended at Oregon. Said he believed him that he hasn't even been contacted.

8. Think CMC doesn't want to leave Oregon. Dude is clueless if he's completely dismissing this as an option.

9. BM doesn't think Cristobal wants to coach in the same division as his mentor because "it would be uncomfortable" 

Let me interject this is painful to listen to. BM makes it sound like he doesn't think it's KS or CMC but provides zero alternatives.

10. BM didn't say a name at the start but my take is the plan (if there was one) was Freeze and that fell through quick.

11. BM making it sound like he's butt hurt we fired Gus.

12. JB makes the point it makes no damn sense to fire Gus and hire KS.

13. BM says Auburn fans wouldn't be excited but would be "okay" with KS.

14. BM literally thinks KS is just as good of an option as hiring a head coach from elsewhere and breaking his back to justify it. 

15. JB thinks it happens this week but ENSD isn't a factor realistically in the timeline.

16. BM "Mario's not coming to Auburn" direct quote.

17. Both seem to think Sunday is the realistic earliest announcement.

Man I can not stand BM. He’s a cry baby *****. I hope he’s wrong for a number of reason but I also hope he’s wrong so we will have a “told you so” over him. Everything he says could be spot on but his disdain for Auburn is so evident in everything he reports. 

1 minute ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

LoL at anyone who thinks we can compete with Phil Knight money. 

That said Phil hasnt ever shown the interest in bidding for a coach. See Kelly and Taggert leaving for higher paying jobs. 

Exactly what I was thinking, but your next answer does make sense to me

40 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

No one that  wanted Gus on the last search comity should be on the new comity.  

@Quietmaninthecorner The search committee last time didn’t have a say. It was all Jay Jacobs. To this point don’t expect this committee to have much of a say either.

35 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

They really and truly aren't. Gus' current state of Auburn football was untenable. It was stale, hopeless, stagnant, unambitious, in-denial, and made fans apathetic.

Literally anyone or anything is better than continuing on in that horrible, unwatchable purgatory.

You can say that, but barring a miracle from Steele, promoting him and seeing similarly lackluster performance next year would pretty much change apathy to purposeful neglect on many people’s part. 

And make no mistake it doesn’t look like this year’s recruiting will be stellar so I don’t know what else would change there to give us hope that the team overall will improve depth wise

1 minute ago, JDUBB4AU said:

So it’s the same search committee that hired Gus? Good grief . Steele may be the guy . They are not going to push for the best . 

It's a farce friend. 

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

Phil knight is more than football just like Tim is more than football to Auburn. These guys probably could care less about paying coaches salaries. They make their money other ways more effectively .

This is no different than Arkansas fans asking why Jerry Jones doesn’t foot the bill to get a coach to Arkansas.

Phil Is probably thinking “I give these guys all the Nike Gear and Nike glow in the world. They really need my money too?!”

Good point. I remember there was an article that said Knight wanted to see a championship at Oregon before his time is up on Earth, and I thought he saw Cristobal as the last opportunity to really have a realistic chance of winning the big one. But if it's really not as big of a factor as I thought it would be, then great.

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Phil knight is more than football just like Tim is more than football to Auburn. These guys probably could care less about paying coaches salaries. They make their money other ways more effectively .

I believe Nike money also paid for some pretty outrageous facilities up there- I think they actually pushed the sport into a bit of a new era in that regard- but that only further serves your point. The man is obviously happy to spend money, but the more he spends on that stuff, the less he's going to want to spend on the coach. He's not the school's only wealthy alum.

Plus, coaches come and go. Names stay on buildings a lot longer than that, and Phil Knight seems to be very into putting that swoosh on stuff. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

I believe Nike money also paid for some pretty outrageous facilities up there- I think they actually pushed the sport into a bit of a new era in that regard- but that only further serves your point. The man is obviously happy to spend money, but the more he spends on that stuff, the less he's going to want to spend on the coach. He's not the school's only wealthy alum.

Plus, coaches come and go. Names stay on buildings a lot longer than that, and Phil Knight seems to be very into putting that swoosh on stuff. 

Their facilities are gorgeous. Some people think they're tacky but man I would kill to have that.

20 minutes ago, Tiger1992 said:

If they make an announcement on Saturday and take eyes and discussion away from the SECC they are going to piss off the SEC.

I don’t think the pac 12 cares what the SEC wants. I don’t either, to be honest 

44 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The second tweet is the important one. I hope it eases some worried minds.

Weird...

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Their facilities are gorgeous. Some people think they're tacky but man I would kill to have that.

It's better than pro teams. It's a whole nother level. 

Archived