Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

3 minutes ago, Jones Field said:

This 8 person panel has me perplexed. I just don't think any proven coach is going to jump thru that hoop.

4 on the committee are connected to Rane. This reeks of JABA.

Tim Jackson??? For real??

You think this committee has any real say?  C'mon dude.  It's all for show.

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The biggest risk of hiring Cristobal is obviously the money. We've already overpaid one coach who couldn't get us to the next level. That's why I'm more on the Billy Napier bandwagon. He's less of a risk with not much downside. He's proven he can coach, recruit, and develop talent. Whoever gets Napier is going to get a steal. 

I'll take Cristobal and won't have any problem with the hire but he's going to have to win big sooner rather than later. With the big price tag will come big expectations. Even those on the Cristobal bandwagon should recognize the money issue. We're not hiring Cristobal to go 9-3 and to just do better than Gus. If we're going to get into a bidding war with Oregon over him then he's going to have to deliver for us and not more of the same or slightly better type results we've been getting.

Listening to JBoy and Marcello talk

1. JB said he'd be shocked if Auburn didn't have a plan. BM says there's no plan. 

2. BM predicted the sear committee and said the search would actually start on Wednesday. 

3. BM mentions there's ONE booster pushing KSteele. He's apparently been trying to sell KS as Gus replacement for a while. They never say his name but we all know it's ******* Herbart.

4. Jay Gouge wants to go through a process and is likely the one making them take their time.

5. Allen Greene has almost zero power apparently.

6. JB says if Cristobal is the guy obviously the PAC-12 game change has slowed down the process.

7. BM is officially a dumb a**. Says he doesn't think CMC is happening and thinks he's looking to get extended at Oregon. Said he believed him that he hasn't even been contacted.

8. Think CMC doesn't want to leave Oregon. Dude is clueless if he's completely dismissing this as an option.

9. BM doesn't think Cristobal wants to coach in the same division as his mentor because "it would be uncomfortable" 

Let me interject this is painful to listen to. BM makes it sound like he doesn't think it's KS or CMC but provides zero alternatives.

10. BM didn't say a name at the start but my take is the plan (if there was one) was Freeze and that fell through quick.

11. BM making it sound like he's butt hurt we fired Gus.

12. JB makes the point it makes no damn sense to fire Gus and hire KS.

13. BM says Auburn fans wouldn't be excited but would be "okay" with KS.

14. BM literally thinks KS is just as good of an option as hiring a head coach from elsewhere and breaking his back to justify it. 

15. JB thinks it happens this week but ENSD isn't a factor realistically in the timeline.

16. BM "Mario's not coming to Auburn" direct quote.

17. Both seem to think Sunday is the realistic earliest announcement.

It’s like some of y’all have never been through a coaching change before 😂

I was 14 when Gus was hired and I knew Gus would be the guy before the “search committee” was formed. It’s window dressing, at most they’ll vet our guy and make sure things are in order. 

Auburn’s power boys are dumb sometimes but they’re not firing Gus and forking over 21 mil to sit on their hands with no idea what to do. 

Be patient, this stuff will work itself out. 

3 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

You think this committee has any real say?  C'mon dude.  It's all for show.

Imagine if we hired a guy and somewhere down the line something happened, and then it was revealed that there was no formal, organizational structure to the hiring process. "Why didn't we vet him?!?!?! Why were Greene and Gogue allowed to hire him without any oversight?!?!"

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

1. JB said he'd be shocked if Auburn didn't have a plan. BM says there's no plan. 

2. BM predicted the sear committee and said the search would actually start on Wednesday. 

3. BM mentions there's ONE booster pushing KSteele. He's apparently been trying to sell KS as Gus replacement for a while. They never say his name but we all know it's ******* Herbart.

4. Jay Gouge wants to go through a process and is likely the one making them take their time.

6. JB says if Cristobal is the guy obviously the PAC-12 game change has slowed down the process.

7. BM is officially a dumb a**. Says he doesn't think CMC is happening and thinks he's looking to get extended at Oregon. Said he believed him that he hasn't even been contacted.

8. Think CMC doesn't want to leave Oregon. Dude is clueless if he's completely dismissing this as an option.

9. BM doesn't think Cristobal wants to coach in the same division as his mentor because "it would be uncomfortable" 

Let me interject this is painful to listen to. BM makes it sound like he doesn't think it's KS or CMC but provides zero alternatives.

10. BM didn't say a name at the start but my take is the plan (if there was one) was Freeze and that fell through quick.

14. BM literally thinks KS is just as good of an option as hiring a head coach from elsewhere and breaking his back to justify it. 

15. JB thinks it happens this week but ENSD isn't a factor realistically in the timeline.

People on this board know more than BM. That’s all I’ll say 

1 minute ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

People on this board know more than BM. That’s all I’ll say 

I agree

16 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

This would surprise me, like most of the folks on here. But I don't think anyone posting has any insider info on it one way or the other.

I called him back and he said that his dad read “something” about it on Saturdays Down South”. I believe it when I see it. 

Thanks for the response though. 

The search committee is a legality thing. They have to prove that they vetted all candidates thoroughly and that the process was fair and equal  It is purely CYA. Thats not the beacon to watch, watch the game friday and see what happens Saturday 11-3 is the window to watch. IF there’s an announcement Auburn would love to do so right before or during the SEC Championship

7 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Ah yes, BM's opinions and thoughts are just that. BMs (bowel movements)

Just now, tgrogan21 said:

Ah yes, BM's opinions and thoughts are just that. BMs (bowel movements)

Imagine being invited onto a podcast to specifically to discuss a coaching search. Shoot down the 3 options mentioned the most (Freeze, Cristobal, Steele) and then offering absolutely zero alternatives. 

11 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

The biggest risk of hiring Cristobal is obviously the money. We've already overpaid one coach who couldn't get us to the next level. That's why I'm more on the Billy Napier bandwagon. He's less of a risk with not much downside. He's proven he can coach, recruit, and develop talent. Whoever gets Napier is going to get a steal. 

I'll take Cristobal and won't have any problem with the hire but he's going to have to win big sooner rather than later. With the big price tag will come big expectations. Even those on the Cristobal bandwagon should recognize the money issue. We're not hiring Cristobal to go 9-3 and to just do better than Gus. If we're going to get into a bidding war with Oregon over him then he's going to have to deliver for us and not more of the same or slightly better type results we've been getting.

We'd have to at least give him time to install his coaches, players, and overall system, right? I do agree with you, though. Expectations for a high-dollar hire will be high from the start.

Can anyone answer one question that's been bothering me?

I'm all in on Cristobal sweepstakes, but if Oregon really wants to keep him--don't they have Phil Knight? That guy is a billionaire. If Oregon is serious about keeping him at Eugene, can we compete with that kind of money? Unless Knight isn't as hands-on as I thought he would be. I've been following this thread somewhat closely so apologies if this has been answered.

10 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

[Chorus: Queen]
I want it all, I want it all
I want it all, and I want it now

Just now, AUDynasty said:

Can anyone answer one question that's been bothering me?

I'm all in on Cristobal sweepstakes, but if Oregon really wants to keep him--don't they have Phil Knight? That guy is a billionaire. If Oregon is serious about keeping him at Eugene, can we compete with that kind of money? Unless Knight isn't as hands-on as I thought he would be. I've been following this thread somewhat closely so apologies if this has been answered.

They have one billionaire, we have multiple ones. 

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Imagine being invited onto a podcast to specifically to discuss a coaching search. Shoot down the 3 options mentioned the most (Freeze, Cristobal, Steele) and then offering absolutely zero alternatives. 

He should be thankful that anyone would have him on their podcast.

7 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Napier is hardly proven. He's won some games at the group of 5 level. There have been plenty of coaches that made the jump to a power 5 program and weren't successful. If he were proven, we would've hired him already. Given that he's making less than a million a year at ULL, we could get him for cheap. To me, Napier and Clark at UAB are the emergency options, but they aren't strong enough hires to be our top choices. 

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

often called 'being part of the problem, not the solution'

7 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

IF there’s an announcement Auburn would love to do so right before or during the SEC Championship

If they make an announcement on Saturday and take eyes and discussion away from the SECC they are going to piss off the SEC.

2 minutes ago, EagleEye67 said:

[Chorus: Queen]

Kiffin or Briles?

-or-

Kiffin AND Briles?

17 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

It’s like some of y’all have never been through a coaching change before 😂

I was 14 when Gus was hired and I knew Gus would be the guy before the “search committee” was formed. It’s window dressing, at most they’ll vet our guy and make sure things are in order. 

Auburn’s power boys are dumb sometimes but they’re not firing Gus and forking over 21 mil to sit on their hands with no idea what to do. 

In 2012, they did interview people. Gus ended up being the pick. Included in that list was Kirby Smart. If you "knew" it was going to be Gus, you either thought he was a good option or you knew Auburn was going to JABA the hire. 

I'm not saying this search committee isn't just for show, but I'm also not completely convinced something didn't fall through and we are now backpedaling. 

5 minutes ago, Auburn Tiger said:

We'd have to at least give him time to install his coaches, players, and overall system, right? I do agree with you, though. Expectations for a high-dollar hire will be high from the start.

If you ask me, no one is, this is the contract I think you give him:

3 years $5.5 million

That makes him the 13th highest paid coach in the country, it's more than double his current salary, and it's still roughly 2 million cheaper than we were paying Gus.

It would be worth hiring Kiffin just to watch him tweet out a pine box to OM moments before putting on the AU hat. Not that I hold some grudge against OM or that they deserve it....but it would be momentary comic relief.

Archived