Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Their facilities are gorgeous. Some people think they're tacky but man I would kill to have that.

Not tacky at all to those who know architecture.  They have well-designed, modern facilities.

26 minutes ago, AUDynasty said:

Can anyone answer one question that's been bothering me?

I'm all in on Cristobal sweepstakes, but if Oregon really wants to keep him--don't they have Phil Knight? That guy is a billionaire. If Oregon is serious about keeping him at Eugene, can we compete with that kind of money? Unless Knight isn't as hands-on as I thought he would be. I've been following this thread somewhat closely so apologies if this has been answered.

@AUDynastyyes Oregon has Phil Knight but Oregon has never put that kind of money into a head coach that they’re going to have to put in to beat us. Not saying they won’t.  they’ve just never come nowhere near that close before.

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@Quietmaninthecorner The search committee last time didn’t have a say. It was all Jay Jacobs. To this point don’t expect this committee to have much of a say either.

That may be true,  but I remember at least one of those names publicly pushing Gus.

3 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Their facilities are gorgeous. Some people think they're tacky but man I would kill to have that.

If I was a player, I'd be super duper into it. Which is exactly why so many other programs have followed suit. 

Just now, Swamp Eagle said:

Too bad there’s not a minimum post count limit for these types of threads. Lot of ‘lurkers’ up in here..🤔

What's wrong with us lurkers?

First off, I think Marcello has his buddy Crepea feeding him UO propaganda...

But I do think he's half right. Now that it's become a bidding war I feel less confident we hire Cristobal simply because I just don't see the money men willing to pull the trigger on another huge contract.

Should be interesting...

26 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Napier is hardly proven. He's won some games at the group of 5 level. There have been plenty of coaches that made the jump to a power 5 program and weren't successful. If he were proven, we would've hired him already. Given that he's making less than a million a year at ULL, we could get him for cheap. To me, Napier and Clark at UAB are the emergency options, but they aren't strong enough hires to be our top choices. 

I like Bill Clark he's a good coach but Napier is better than him. UAB hasn't had a player drafted by the NFL since 2015. They've yet to have a player drafted since they brought the program back in 2017.

Napier had 3 NFL draft picks in the 2020 NFL draft. That speaks to recruiting and development.

Look around the current SEC HC's previous jobs:

Nick Saban - Miami Dolphins, LSU, Michigan State

Sam Pittman - UGA O-line coach, Arkansas O-line coach

Jimbo Fisher - Florida State

Lane Kiffin - Florida Atlantic, USC, Tennessee,

Mike Leach - Washington State, Texas Tech

Ed Orgeron - Ole Miss

Mark Stoops - Florida State DC

Jeremy Pruitt - Alabama DC

Eli Drinkwitz - 1 year at App State

Dan Mullen - Miss State

Kirby Smart - Alabama DC

Clark Lea - Notre Dame DC

Shane Beamer - Oklahoma TE coach

Literally half of the current SEC coaches were less proven than Napier is right now when they were hired.

48 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The second tweet is the important one. I hope it eases some worried minds.

I'm stuck on "power brokers".  Brokers of power.  You must have to be some kind of bada$$ to get that title.

1 minute ago, shuebru said:

What's wrong with us lurkers?

Agreed. I rarely if ever post, because I don't have much to offer, but I love the info because I love AU just as much as y'all do.

I want Cristobal, Freeze, Napier, in that order. If Steele is selected I will drink myself into a coma.

13 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

That said Phil hasnt ever shown the interest in bidding for a coach. See Kelly and Taggert leaving for higher paying jobs. 

DING DING DING DING!

1 minute ago, JBiGGiE said:

First off, I think Marcello has his buddy Crepea feeding him UO propaganda...

But I do think he's half right. Now that it's become a bidding war I feel less confident we hire Cristobal simply because I just don't see the money men willing to pull the trigger on another huge contract.

Should be interesting...

I think they have to offer big money, just to keep up.  Bigger money for full coaching staff if you want to compete and win.

I saw everyone knock a guy’s post about us interviewing Ed Orgeron. If you wanted him to stay at LSU, you’d interview him. Not with any intention of hiring him; only with the intention of keeping him at LSU longer. If he is aggravated about the talks of LSU wanting to fire him, he’d take the interview and try to force their hand for a higher buyout and salary (just like the overtures between Gus and Arkansas a few yrs ago).

If we truly have our guy and are confident and the committee is just for show, then we should interview ppl we think suck so that they can try to get extensions and higher buyouts from their current employer.

Yall need to play 4-D chess.

1 minute ago, chizhead said:

Updyke friend of mine just told me that if the PTB had one ounce of brains they would hire Napier TO*******DAY! He said if we didn't, we would regret it. He's a bigtime bammer and was being honest. Said MC would be a great hire, but Napier had a bigger upside. He is also scare s***less that we are after Sark

12 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

So it’s the same search committee that hired Gus? Good grief . Steele may be the guy . They are not going to push for the best . 

Again Jay Jacobs hired Gus not the search committee.

11 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Not tacky at all to those who know architecture.  They have well-designed, modern facilities.

Agreed, I was so excited to hear about our locker room renovations and felt incredibly underwhelmed.

The Harbert Recruiting Center was incredibly "meh" to me as well.

Archived