Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

28 minutes ago, VegasEagle said:

Christopher Scott Petersen , comments?

I feel like he is a Gus level coach. We'd be relevant, but would certainly fall short of the "elite" status and consistency that the fanbase seems to be seeking. Also, he's coming off an 8-5 season in that watered down conference. 

There's also been no mention of him anywhere. So, whether or not it is a good idea, he doesn't seem to be in consideration. 

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Browning4AU said:

Been following a lot of your insight for years, but I hope you're wrong on this one. 

@Browning4AU Nope. Harbert had a huge hand in Gus's contract 2 years ago & wants Steele now. Both have been verified by many people connected to the program.

30 minutes ago, Jones Field said:

And here is your "search committee"

Members of the advisory group include:

Allen Greene; Director of Athletics
Lieutenant General Ron Burgess; Executive Vice President, Auburn University
Dr. Beverly Marshall, Auburn Faculty Athletic Representative
Tim Jackson; Executive Associate AD, Auburn Athletics
Bo Jackson; Auburn Football Letterman, 1985 Heisman Trophy Winner
Quentin Riggins; Auburn Football Letterman, Auburn Board of Trustee
Randy Campbell; Auburn Football Letterman
Michelle McKenna; Chief Information Officer, National Football League

This sounds like it could be a bad thing. Either they didn't have a coach lined up at all, or they have missed out on the person they wanted (probably Cristobal). Unless you all think this is a smoke screen?

26 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@tbone4jcGo back & look at his time at Bama & look who he landed as the primary recruiter. The man is one of the best recruiters in the game & there's no ifs, ands, or butts about it.

I used to think recruiting was about 80% of a head coach's job. I now think the 80% estimate is too low.

2 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Chris Peterson isn't a Gus level coach. Dude is an elite coach. He just isn't interested in leaving Washington.

Does he still live up there, cuz he sho dont coach there anymore.

3 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

This sounds like it could be a bad thing. Either they didn't have a coach lined up at all, or they have missed out on the person they wanted (probably Cristobal). Unless you all think this is a smoke screen?

People seem to think it's just for show. But obviously, Auburn can't do anything without a bunch of Auburn men and women putting in their 2 cents.

5 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Chris Peterson isn't a Gus level coach. Dude is an elite coach. He just isn't interested in leaving Washington.

He has left before and money talks

4 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

I used to think recruiting was about 80% of a head coach's job. I now think the 80% estimate is too low.

We laughed at bama when they got all excited about that 'crootin 'ship in 2007. Joke ended up being on us. 

4 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

Does he still live up there, cuz he sho dont coach there anymore.

Earlier this year he was announced as the Fritzky Chair in Leadership at UW’s Foster School of Business.

He took a step back from coaching.

All that being said, if he were interested, he'd be at the very top of my list of candidates. 

29 minutes ago, Chicagofan said:

Long time lurker. I definitely don’t have any insider information, but my grandson just called me and said that Auburn is going to interview Ed Orgeron. 

Does anyone know if there any truth to this? 

I figured you all are absolutely the most informed fans and it anyone knows it would be this group.
Said his dad heard this on a Bama message board. 

...appreciate any information 

Perhaps he meant Coach O's twin brother, Fran.

31 minutes ago, Chicagofan said:

Long time lurker. I definitely don’t have any insider information, but my grandson just called me and said that Auburn is going to interview Ed Orgeron. 

Does anyone know if there any truth to this? 

I figured you all are absolutely the most informed fans and it anyone knows it would be this group.
Said his dad heard this on a Bama message board. 

...appreciate any information 

This would surprise me, like most of the folks on here. But I don't think anyone posting has any insider info on it one way or the other.

Just now, Quietmaninthecorner said:

No one that  wanted Gus on the last search comity should be on the new comity.  

Or, no one who was remotely responsible for that nightmare contract extension in 2017 should be on the committee. 

10 minutes ago, Grimnir said:

image.gif

My favorite Christmas movie ever...

Now let's think like Harbert. Why would we want Steele to be our coach? Why would he be Harbert's front runner? Is it bc Steele and he got buddy buddy while Steele was there?

I don't see any pluses, except he has years of experience, and Harbert feels 'safe' with him, after being the instigator on giving Gus that great contract and buyout.

Who on here wants Steele as their first or second choice...? 

20 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Would it be the third party search firm that would handle background checks and any other formal vetting? I would assume there's value in paying an external entity to do that. 

As for the advisory board, that's just a bunch of Auburn folks that were undoubtedly decided upon before Gus was fired. And giving it a day before announcing them could have been done out of respect to Gus.

There are rules to the game, folks. I don't know exactly what they are but it's super easy to come up with explanations for all of this that are way more rational and logical than "OMG WE HAVE NO IDEA WHAT WE'RE DOING IT'S GONNA BE RHETT LASHLEE ISN'T IT SOMEBODY PLEASE HOLD ME"

The second tweet is the important one. I hope it eases some worried minds.

11 hours ago, AUFriction said:

Ehhh, at least 3 of those picks are downgrades fromGus. A fourth would just be a god awful cultural fit, and probably wouldn’t last in this program because of it.

They really and truly aren't. Gus' current state of Auburn football was untenable. It was stale, hopeless, stagnant, unambitious, in-denial, and made fans apathetic.

Literally anyone or anything is better than continuing on in that horrible, unwatchable purgatory.

Archived