What's next for Gus?

AURex

What's next for Gus?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. What's next for Gus?

• He's got $50 million bank. Retire. Sit with Chizik and laugh.
    • Become a media analyst, pontificate and criticize other coaches.
    • Take another Power 5 head coaching job, like Arizona or Virginia Tech
    • Take a 2nd tier coaching job or coordinator job
    • Start a company to sell sweater vests, pizza and Auburn cruises to the Bahamas.

I feel like he takes an OC job at a power 5 before getting another Head coach position. Muschamp scenario. 

However Arizona has been embarrassing. They may have called him today. 

Question: Anyone know if taking a job elsewhere reduces/eliminates the buyout we owe him? (Didn't Chiz have a clause like that?)

More visits to Waffle House, slow rides around the the block in the sports car, golfing, cookouts with former players and friends and waiting for a SunBelt, MAC or bottom tier Power 5 offer.

4 hours ago, Bo Didley said:

I feel like he takes an OC job at a power 5 before getting another Head coach position. Muschamp scenario. 

While I don't know Gus, this would be surprising. It's not like Gus was only a HC for a couple years with no real success. He almost (should have) won a natty, and had a couple of really good years. VT could be a good spot for him if he's up for dealing with Dabo, or I agree Arizona could be a nice landing spot if they have Waffle House. He wins 8/9 games a year there and they'll have him for life. I hear there might be an opening in Eugene next Sunday he could interview for he wants to move to the land of the loony left.

He will get another HC job soon if he wants it. Most teams in other conferences would probably kill for a coach that never had a losing record in the SECW and beat Saban 3 times. 

Just because 8-4 isn't acceptable for us doesn't mean it's not acceptable for Arizona. 

6 minutes ago, Tiger1992 said:

While I don't know Gus, this would be surprising. It's not like Gus was only a HC for a couple years with no real success. He almost (should have) won a natty, and had a couple of really good years. VT could be a good spot for him if he's up for dealing with Dabo, or I agree Arizona could be a nice landing spot if they have Waffle House. He wins 8/9 games a year there and they'll have him for life. I hear there might be an opening in Eugene next Sunday he could interview for he wants to move to the land of the loony left.

Not sold on the Oregon gig.  Pretty sure CGM's Gomer Pyle vibe would clash with the Eugene aesthetic. 

I think he probably takes a year or two off to look at his options then gets back into coaching when he gets bored.  When, where, who knows.  Might even end up at the high school level or as a TV analyst.  When you already rich money is no longer a motivator.  

3 hours ago, AURealist said:

Not sold on the Oregon gig.  Pretty sure CGM's Gomer Pyle vibe would clash with the Eugene aesthetic. 

Ugh, have you seen/heard Chip Kelly?!?!  Gomer Pyle has got nothing on him. 

Personally, I would think Oregon would be a great fit  for Gus!

TBH, if Mario is our guy. Gus may be the only name that may keep Oregon from shelling out the big bucks to keep him. They may look at the numbers and be like. Well if we’re gonna spend that kind of money. We could get a guy that has been in the Ship....Wouldn’t that be something if we ended up trading coaches? Has that ever happened before?

I hope that Gus reinvents himself as a on field coach.  When he takes his next job he lets his assistants do their jobs through their respective coordinators philosophies.   He leaves his offensive concepts in the past.  There are so many young men out there that can benefit from the greatness that are the Malzahns off the football field and how he runs his program.  Student athletes need Gus Malzhan and his guidance and genuine care that he has for his athletes.  He is special in this area and I wish him the best.

17 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

I think he’s more respected outside Alabama. He’ll get offers.

This. I always thought his Auburn trajectory would put him back in high-school, but now forced to really ponder it, the outside world may view him as a huge get. 

Archived