Auburn closing in on Bryan Harsin

Tony4AU

Funny that folks were saying that the new HC should be able to bring in his own staff and now they are telling him who he should hire.  Presuming he is the new coach it might be a good idea to allow him some time to answer some of the questions about recruiting and staff decisions.  I suspect it takes a lot of  guts to come into this conference surrounded by some very good programs and very good coaches.  Until proven otherwise, he will have my respect and support.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, AUDub said:

We're just diving into the great unknown here. He could be the next Urban Meyer, but he could also be the next Butch Jones.

Just not much to go on. Fully behind him either way. 

Exactly, but I’m in his corner as I’m sure most here are. 

4 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

On par with AAC. Superior to CUSA.

AAC’s best are: Cincy, UCF, UH, and maybe UM

MWC best are: Boise, AF, SDS, Utah State 

Both of these lists aren’t necessarily based on this year’s standings. MWC will have flare ups from UH, CSU, and FSU. AAC will have flare ups from USF and SMU.  CUSA is trashy. 

One positive about this hire is AUFamily and Volnation can save money on a domain name now as we are one the same. Rinse and repeat with these coaches. 

Best of luck to the Harsin and I hope he proves me wrong about how disappointed I am. At least we will know how much control of the staff he has soon. 

Just now, AUDub said:

We're just diving into the great unknown here. He could be the next Urban Meyer, but he could also be the next Butch Jones.

Just not much to go on. Fully behind him either way. 

If he washes out, at least we didn’t (or assuming we didn’t) have to really break the bank on him. 

9 minutes ago, JeriahAU said:

The Auburn program is NOT crap! How could you even think that? The last 3 seasons we have won 10, 8, and 9 games in the toughest conference in the country. In 2017 we made FBS history by beating two #1 teams in one season, and we went to the SEC championship. We had a young team this year with an entirely new O-Line, and almost an entirely new D-Line. Auburn’s program is not crap. That’s absurd to even say we are anything close to crap. We have top 10 recruiting class talent everywhere on this team. We have been top 5 in the SEC and averaged 9 wins every year since 2013. What we want is to take the next step to a regular playoff contender, and that step isn’t a big one. It’s some tune ups and upgrades on offense and some improvement on the D-Line. That’s it. That’s all we need. We are not crap, and you know it.

Hopefully Harsin is that offensive tune up that we need. The defense is fine, don’t change things up there too much, offensive tune up is all we need and we are winning 10 games a year. 

Ha ha!  Well hello Gus!

That’s the problem. Too many people are perfectly happy with not being ranked in the top 25, a poorly ranked recruiting class, and too few wins against our biggest 3 rivals.  It’s easy to win 8 games a season when you pad your schedule with 3 or 4 out of conference cup cakes every season.  We lost to South Carolina this season, a team that was so bad they fired their coach.  Gus recruited highly ranked players but was poor at recruiting to fill his needs that’s the primary reason that his recruiting classes were ranked fairly high.  

The step to the playoffs is a HUGE one when you’ve failed to fill your OL needs for multiple years, but keep on dreaming!

And don’t play the COVID card because it impacted all teams pre-season prep and Bama likely has their best team they’ve had under Saban. 

I’m not overly impressed with his resume, but I’m more than willing to give him a chance. That’s what we said about Gus. We gave him a chance and after 8 years we knew he could not grow with the job. Here is to Bryan hoping he comes in knowing that he needs to improve every game, if not we will move on from him as well. WDE welcome aboard coach Harsin.

16 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Someone make sure Harsin knows it’s Auburn University when he takes the podium. 

He also needs to know we are in Alabama and generally games will be posted in Central Standard Time. 

6 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Should be fired for insubordination alone. 

I agree with you.  Would prefer he go and us start fresh with an entirely new staff, except maybe TWill and Cadillac.  Having said that, what is Steele's current contract?  I know he is the highest paid assistant, but are we only committed to him for 1 more year or multiple years.  If buyout clause, what is it?  Anyone have any ideas?

This is a good hire for you guys.   Don’t like it as a Hog fan.  New blood away from sick good ole boys network that’s proven.  Smart offensive guy, can recruit,  will get recruits hyped up,  with Auburn’s talent could be dangerous.  Also has something to prove.  

52 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Dude, unless you were going to get Urban Meyer, everyone out there is a crap shoot.   Do you not understand that?   Unless you are going to offer Saban or Dabo?

His role is to diminish and belittle whoever got the job.

18 minutes ago, e808 said:

I just opened my account today and have been an Auburn fan since Tommie Agee and Lionel James days. I am just giving my opinion based on what I have seen from Boise State. I would have preferred someone with southern recruiting knowledge. it's ok to be optimistic but Tony Elliot , Sark or Freeze would have been far better option.

Fair enough. I hope the opposition takes Harsin as lightly as our own fan base is. We’ll be fine.

2 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

He also needs to know we are in Alabama and generally games will be posted in Central Standard Time. 

And that you can’t use mountains as a way to know your direction on a compass. That was a huge thing for me living out West. “Drive East”...”okay, away from the mountains, got it”. Back in the south I don’t know my directions from a hole in the ground. 

17 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

We’ve been wanting a coach with some balls, he seems to have that part covered. 

Can we get him to run a sample offense with a minute and a half on the clock at our own 35 at the end of the 1st half before he signs?

Anybody can do that better than Gus.

30 minutes ago, drewzums343 said:

I'm telling yall, don't be surprised when we go 4-6 every year. We will be having this same discussion in 2-3 years. 

But if we’re not, I want you to remain stoic and curb your misguided enthusiasm.

6 minutes ago, slyinsocal said:

His role is to diminish and belittle whoever got the job.

What a sad sight it must have been when he had to take his Gus poster off the ceiling...if he has, yet.

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

This twitter post is horribly incorrect. Bowden was 64-36-1 as HC prior to Auburn. Damn...do a little homework BarningKnight. 

17 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

If he washes out, at least we didn’t (or assuming we didn’t) have to really break the bank on him. 

Yeah but if he washes out, what makes you think we'll make a better hire, after the way we screwed up with BN?

Big Picture is this on the same level as the Bruce Pearl hire for the basketball team. We knew Bruce record which spoke for itself. If Bruce is a tier 1 type of coach what type of coach is Harksin. Just like most things in life the farther you go down the list the less the quality.

20 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Should be fired for insubordination alone. 

Would someone tell me the short version of what Steele did. I have not seen a general description but have just picked up pieces about he and others subverting behind CGM’s back. I don’t doubt it happening..I just missed the details. Thanks

Archived